cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet Paper

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, I know all of the supposed problems and cautionaries and reasoning behind what passes for RV toilet paper but there has to be something better than the stuff that is out there now branded for RV use. Has anyone found anything that resembles honest-to-god home 2-ply toilet paper that works in an RV?
Patti, Jack, our GSD Gunner the Wonder Dog and our multtude of cats.
1998 National Tropi-Cal on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis with 460 Ford power.
26 REPLIES 26

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
donkeydew wrote:
sears catalog is getting mighty thin may have to switch to good sam flyers.

Agree, but either is better than corn cobs. But the cobs are recyclable -- just toss them out in the yard and wait until it's rained.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Scotts single ply is not or was branded for RV use
Angle Soft is good too but I do not like the company (no discussion on that or if you try I will ignore you).

That said. I've seen breakdown tests on many brands.. Turns out by the time I take care of the paperwork (No job is done till you finish the paperwork) get re-situated. (Dressed) go out and pull the handle.. IT's had time to break up. More than enough Even Quilted Charman (The worst)

So What do I use? Prince and Spring. the BOXED dot Com House brand.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
AlaskaShooter wrote:
We use Kirkland Brand from COSTCO 2 ply at home and in both RV's systems. Watched a video of the name brands and Kirkland. Kirkland is much cheaper then buying the big names at the grocery store and scored very well in the breakdown test in the video vs. some of the bigger name brands. No RV toilet paper was tested as a comparison. We have had no issues with Kirkland. Just proper black tank use, maintenance and cleaning following dumps when we leave the site.

This is a perfect example of why personal choice is important. We tried Kirkland brand for the low price but hated it so me we returned the unopened bundles for a full refund. That does not make the above post wrong (or me), it's just a matter of choice. If you like it at home, use it in the RV!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Toilet Paper Test

Cute video, but definitely gets the point across.....
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
F4Jock wrote:
Okay, I know all of the supposed problems and cautionaries and reasoning behind what passes for RV toilet paper but there has to be something better than the stuff that is out there now branded for RV use. Has anyone found anything that resembles honest-to-god home 2-ply toilet paper that works in an RV?

Have used regular TP for 40 years - NO PROBLEM.

We also use more water in the Black Tank.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

AlaskaShooter
Explorer
Explorer
We use Kirkland Brand from COSTCO 2 ply at home and in both RV's systems. Watched a video of the name brands and Kirkland. Kirkland is much cheaper then buying the big names at the grocery store and scored very well in the breakdown test in the video vs. some of the bigger name brands. No RV toilet paper was tested as a comparison. We have had no issues with Kirkland. Just proper black tank use, maintenance and cleaning following dumps when we leave the site.
2006 F-550, Crew cab, 4x4 w/factory bed getting 12 mpg @ 50,000 miles
2006 Lance 1191
2006 Wells Cargo 14' Cycle Wagon
2017 Grand Design 5th wheel with EezTire TPMS
2017 F-450 4x4 crew cab King Ranch

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
F4Jock wrote:

Have used regular TP for 40 years - NO PROBLEM.

We also use more water in the Black Tank.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
F4Jock wrote:

You can use any commercial TP you like. RV toilet paper is something the industry came up with to make some money but it's just a joke. You have to use 10 sheets to keep your hand clean and that's not better than using 4 sheets of "real" paper. Your holding tank is a holding tank and not a septic system. Some say "this paper dissolves in only 10 seconds verses 60 seconds. No one dumps 10 seconds after dropping paper in the holding tank so time is really not important. Don't use paper towels but otherwise, I am a big fan of Charmin Ultra Soft but I will use most any major brand if it's on sale!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
sears catalog is getting mighty thin may have to switch to good sam flyers.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
We have been using Angel Soft for years.

Yep. A local kid did a science project on the breakdown of TP and Angel Soft won over all the others, including the RV toilet paper. The project was for the time it took to breakdown into sludge.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Six feet of toilet paper to mop up isn't that much.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Believe me if the RV toilet paper manufacturers thought they could get away with it they would sell RV stool softener pills too.

Use any toilet paper you want along with a fair amount of water.

As for putting the toilet paper in water to see what it does...put it in there for 24 hours and see what it does. Especially with a bit of Dawn dish soap which I add to my black tank every time after I drain it.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Any TP is fine. Emphasize to those using it that 1) it is NOT necessary to use six feet of it and 2) they need to use PLENTY of water.

Giant globs CAN get stuck, as can feminine products, paper towels, and baby wipes.

Always fill your black tank before dumping, even if you have to pour water in with a bucket. That gives enough of a WHOOSH to push out any big wads.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
This is the old test. Take your favorite TP and put it into a jar with water. Shake the jar. If the TP breaks apart it's ok to use. Most 2-ply TP is friction fitted together, some are glued. The glued stuff won't break apart in water. Don't use it.

What?? Glued!! Now I know why my butt sticks together afterwards.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.