cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Lite vs. Lance (is quality worth the cost)

jcphil
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently considering a Lance 2185 and the Travel Lite Falcon/Aura 24BH. I believe pricing on the Lance hits around $35,00; and the Travel Lite can be had for about $20,000. They are similar in size, and function (bunks); either would work for our family. I'm curious as to the opinions as to all the wise folks on rv.net as to whether the Lance is worth the extra $13,000 (or so). I do understand the opinion it is a better built camper, but is it worth the extra money? (For discussion, this analysis could be applied to any manufacturer comparison, not just the two I'm interested in)

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

mmm23
Explorer II
Explorer II

I don't think Lance is necessarily 'better' - Rove Lites are built without any wood in frame, wood, floor etc. which makes for a really nice, long-lasting little trailer. I'm shopping for one come 2024. Wouldn't even consider a Lance personally. 

Note: started a Facebook page for Rove Lite (since there's next to nil info online) - check it out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1041814240439762

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
I recently looked at both the Lance and Travel Lite truck campers. After examining the quality of both I would buy a good used Lance before a new TL. One of the new TL campers already had a leak in the roof.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might look at Laredo.

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-trailers/laredo/floorplans/250bh-travel-trailer/
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Lance. A family member has an Outdoors RV trailer. I look at it as a somewhat upgraded Lance.

dmatt
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently looking at TTs and Lance has been one of the front runners. If you can go to a dealer and compare them side-by-side with another brand, you will be able to see the difference is build quality. Drawers, slides, cabinets, are built solid, not with staples and fake wood. Is it worth the extra money for you??? Only you can decide that. My thinking is that $20-$25K is a lot of money to spend for particle board, staples and wood looking paper covering cabinets, doors, etc.

One dealer likes to show you how well the walls are made on the Lance, he will haul off and pound the wall to show you there is no give, etc. Not sure I want him doing that on the one I choose though :S

I'm lucky in that we live an hour from the factory and there are 3 dealers nearby, so I've spent a good amount of time going through them. Are there going to be issues? Yup, probably as there are with anything built in the RV industry. One thing I haven't seen or heard many complaints about are big issues like delamination, slide out issues, and frame and axle problems. Those are the things you will see and hear about with the Lites, and other brands.

Other vendor components like fridge, a/c, heater, slide motor, etc can fail and that is not something that Lance, or any other builder can control.

Just make sure you research the dealer you will be buying from/taking it to for service. They will make or break your experience.

Now, I add something you didn't ask about and that is for the same price as the Lance, you should look at Outdoors RV if there is a dealer near you. The quality is top as like Lance, they don't pump out thousands of units each year. In fact, they make a little over 2000.

They make their own chassis and each one is separately designed for the model it is going on. Many of the "Lite", Ultra Lite" trailers have very light weight frame and lower capacity axles. Down the road these weight saving cuts can cost you with frames flexing, under rated axles, etc.

One more example. It was hot (89 degrees) this weekend when we went to a dealer that carries Lance and Outdoors RV. All of the coaches were closed up with a/c off, etc. The Outdoors RV units were noticeably cooler when you first walked in than were the Lance, at least 10-15 degrees cooler. Shows you the quality of the insulation compared even to the Lance which is a better insulated coach than most.
2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the travel lites when I was shopping, wasn't very impressed, not for the price anyway.

Is the Lance worth 13k more? only you can make that decision.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends have an 8 years old 26 lite travel trailer. The trailer is a piece of junk. I can't believe everything is falling apart like collapsing drawers, closets & cabinets. We had an Aljo back in the 80's for 15 years and never had that kind of problem. They're now in the market for a new trailer, but it won't be lite.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a F-24BH, what did you end up getting, if anything?
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

jcphil
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed on the Lance price. 2012Coleman, that $34 (ish) is already discounted off of MSRP. That was a price I got fall of last year on that model year.

I'm not sure I agree that "quality is always worth the price." I could do a lot with that $13k. dirt bikes, fishing boat, etc. Hence, the dilemma. But I do appreciate the opinions!

I'm now adding the Coachman Apex 208BHS and the Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S to the list. Priced close to the Travel Lite, but maybe a bit better in quality.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
$35K is about right for Lance 2185. MSRP is around $46K. Lance is currently back logged 9-12 months out. So what you see on the lot is what you get sorta. Thats a sellers market.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Problem is, not much quality in the industry today unless you go to the ultra high buck one off units.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
Quality is always worth the price. Especially in the RV industry.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

Johndanielscpa
Explorer
Explorer
The demand for “inexpensive” RVs is at an all time high, and the RV industry is more than happy to meet that demand. Unfortunately, the demand is being served with “cheap” RVs, not “inexpensive” RVs. Given that there is no regulation on the industry, buyers have to be really careful what they buy. Bottom line - you just aren’t going to get anything worth buying and that will meet average expectations unless you are willing to spend some money. Unfortunately, even spending some money does not guarantee a problem-free unit, but you should expect that the problems are fixable oversights in the manufacturing process versus having your RV fall apart on you because the choice of materials was inadequate for the expected use. My recommendation is to walk through the unit you plan to buy, look at the quality of the materials being used, ask yourself if such materials will hold up to how you expect to use the unit. Look at how the wiring and plumbing are installed, open the drawers and cabinets and look at how they are built, look at the hardware, etc. Everyone’s expectations are going to be different. Personally, I would not buy a unit with pressed board cabinets; I know they are not going to hold up with how I use my RV. So I paid extra for solid wood cabinets. On the other hand, your usage may be different; you may be fine with that level of quality. Your original question - is quality worth the cost? No one here can answer that. You have to decide what level of quality you want, then be prepared to pay for it - - - - or not.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Since Lance is competing with Forest River, where as along as a big check is mailed to Omaha every month FR management is good to go, quality won’t improve.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Who says you have to pay MSRP? If you are willing to negotiate, then go into the Lance dealer and let them give you the current "sale" price. Then stick them with 30% off 35K which brings you to $24500 on the Lance. That's not so bad - right? If they say no, then tell them to call you when they reconsider. Then leave.

Yes - I took my own advice and negotiated 30% off my new Grand Design fifth wheel. And if you don't get the deal with them, go to another dealer or look for newer model year used.

While your at it, compare Grand Design's line of travel trailers (Imagine) outshine the Lance. The GD - IMO outshines the Lance and the company has a great reputation.

Find out more on the Grand Design Owners forum
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS