cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toyhauler with single axle bad idea?

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
Since I can't locate a used 7x16 narrow track enclosed trailer close by, Iv been talking to featherlite about building me one. This trailer is replacing my sold 24' featherlite toyhauler because it was to big to pull to remote locations.

Since I'm considering buying new, I'm also thinking about running a single leaf spring axle because I know I will encounter deep ruts and rocks while crawling to a camp site which will eventually place the entire load on one axle. One approach would be to upgrade both axles to 7000# and then rework the leaf springs for less weight. But my latest idea would be just use a one single 7000# axle..
I also want to run 16" wheels and tire that match my 3/4 ton truck. I imagine by that point the tire weight capacity starts to become the first issue. But is this single 7k axle idea a bad idea? And should I pursue the dual 7k axles and de-leaf the springs so it doesn't bounce down the highway? Another aspect of dual leaf springs is that your limited to "trailer" leaf springs.. Where I could install any length leaf spring with a single axle.

Thanks!
12 valve ram
13 REPLIES 13

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Consider some Sailun 16" "G" rated tires, they are rated for a little over 4000 lbs. at 110 psi.

Wow.. Now those are some tires.. But I was aiming to run the same tires all around.

STANG23L wrote:

I would actually say heavy 14-16' trailers are quite common. Mainly in commercial operations hauling man lifts, small compactors & skid steers. I bet you've seen them around just never noticed them.

colliehauler wrote:
Lots of single axle TH appearing on the market. Was just looking at a Salem 18' TH single axle. I'm sure featherlite is better quality but like the idea of a small TH to take to remote areas. I had a post a couple of months back on subject of a single axle TH.

That salem is pretty cool and the 7.5' width is almost to wide. Almost.. But you cant even compare forest river to featherlite. It's amusing they state they use Aluminum and Sheet Metal construction but forget to mention the wood. Or do they make this one out of aluminum?

I think the kicker is Iv asked for a 7' wide narrow axle track with less stability than a wider trailer.

Check these single axle toyhaulers out. Seems to me a down sizing trend in both homes and RV's is taking place.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/d/toy-hauler/6656609727.html
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2018-forest-river-cruise-lite/6655760446.html
12 valve ram

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
rerod wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
I prefer the tracking and weight distribution of dual axles for primary road use. Off-road, the single axle would offer less scrub resistance when turning and encourage vertical articulation rather than resist it.

Thanks for that Bedlam. Ive never towed a single axle trailer. But I'm hoping dropping from 8.5 x 24 to 7 x 16 will drop my stress level about 5 notch's.. As long as my beer isn't shook up..

I take it a 16' single axle trailer is pushing engineering boundaries because only featherlite will build one. Everyone else either will not build a narrow track or wont build a single axle one longer than 14'
Lots of single axle TH appearing on the market. Was just looking at a Salem 18' TH single axle. I'm sure featherlite is better quality but like the idea of a small TH to take to remote areas. I had a post a couple of months back on subject of a single axle TH.

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
rerod wrote:
Thanks for that Bedlam. Ive never towed a single axle trailer. But I'm hoping dropping from 8.5 x 24 to 7 x 16 will drop my stress level about 5 notch's.. As long as my beer isn't shook up..

I take it a 16' single axle trailer is pushing engineering boundaries because only featherlite will build one. Everyone else either will not build a narrow track or wont build a single axle one longer than 14'

I would actually say heavy 14-16' trailers are quite common. Mainly in commercial operations hauling man lifts, small compactors & skid steers. I bet you've seen them around just never noticed them.

As I mentioned before I went from dual axles to a single. I've had no issues loading the **** out of my PJ and dragging it across the country.

Would I go single vs. dual axle on/off road? For the type of toys I haul I'd stay with a single axle.

For kicks. This combo survived "The Dragon" two years ago. It tracked straight and true and doesn't bounce all over.

2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider some Sailun 16" "G" rated tires, they are rated for a little over 4000 lbs. at 110 psi.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
It's harder to keep balanced on a single axle teeter totter and the longer the platform the more sensitive it is. You will want to centralize the most mass over the axles with slight bias to the front (this how Euro trailers are built). If you're not worried about tongue weight, try to get the axle shifted farther back than normal (like a toy hauler verses travel trailer) so different loads don't unload the tongue too much.

Im towing with a 1997 3/4 ton cummins 5 speed so tongue weight isn't to much of a issue even with a extended tongue and 50 gallon water tank on it.

Another single axle con would be the 16" tires I currently run on my truck have a load capacity of 3400# which doesn't leave me much redundancy with a target weight of 6000#. If the trailer was tipped 10 degrees, this might over load and blow out the tire causing a roll over.
12 valve ram

Bedlam
It's harder to keep balanced on a single axle teeter totter and the longer the platform the more sensitive it is. You will want to centralize the most mass over the axles with slight bias to the front (this how Euro trailers are built). If you're not worried about tongue weight, try to get the axle shifted farther back than normal (like a toy hauler verses travel trailer) so different loads don't unload the tongue too much.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I prefer the tracking and weight distribution of dual axles for primary road use. Off-road, the single axle would offer less scrub resistance when turning and encourage vertical articulation rather than resist it.

12 valve ram

Bedlam

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Torsion axles work just fine - Just look at 50+ year old VW's still running around on the same torsion springs. If you are breaking torsion axles, you are probably also breaking leaf spring hardware and other parts. Leaf's advantage is that it is easier to fix or modify.

This isn't a discussion about torsion vs leaf. It's one about single vs dual axle pro's and con's with a combined weight between 5000 and 6000#
12 valve ram

Bedlam
Torsion axles work just fine - Just look at 50+ year old VW's still running around on the same torsion springs. If you are breaking torsion axles, you are probably also breaking leaf spring hardware and other parts. Leaf's advantage is that it is easier to fix or modify.

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
STANG23L wrote:
I've had 7x16 & 8.5x16 enclosed trailers. I've dumped them both for an 83" x 14' PJ to haul my toys. I put well over 10K miles on both the enclosed and have a little over 4K on the PJ. The 7x16 and PJ have torsion springs the other leaf. After all that I'd never go back to leaf springs for 3500-7K lb trailers. I feel they ride and track better with less tire wear.

Regardless your adding dirt roads or worse to the mix. Can't help you there. So I would suggest you look at all the trailer builds on Expedition Portal.

Thanks. Expedition Portal is where Iv read about torsion axles failing more than leaf spring when used off-road. The aussie's have proven that and you don't see torsion axles on their serious off-road trailers. There's a discussion there between a dexter rep and a few aussie trailer builders which convinced me not to use one even though I was happy with the pair I had on my 24' TH
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/torsion-axle-for-camping-trailer.74901/

I think the leaf springs get a bad rap because of the extra moving parts that do wear out and need replaced every few years. Most of the Australian's are independent but trailer suspensions do not need to articulate imo. Independent also allows the trailer to sway allot more.

If I built a custom suspension, it would be airbag over a straight axle on a free moving 3 link (bushings on the trailing links and a wishbone upper to eliminate the panhard) and deal with body sway via a external sway bar. Or possibly a de-leafed single leaf spring each side to located the axle with airbags. But starting out with a trailer already set up with crappy 20" leafs instead of torsion will be a plus.
12 valve ram

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 7x16 & 8.5x16 enclosed trailers. I've dumped them both for an 83" x 14' PJ to haul my toys. I put well over 10K miles on both the enclosed and have a little over 4K on the PJ. The 7x16 and PJ have torsion springs the other leaf. After all that I'd never go back to leaf springs for 3500-7K lb trailers. I feel they ride and track better with less tire wear.

Regardless your adding dirt roads or worse to the mix. Can't help you there. So I would suggest you look at all the trailer builds on Expedition Portal.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Bedlam
Why are you against using a torsion axle? It would allow the trailer wheels to move independently of each other and the torsion tube can be tucked higher up in the frame than a conventional solid axle.

Think about the load floor inside the trailer. If you want to tuck the wheels within the 7' wide enclosed body, you will need to have wheel wells intruding inside the the trailer or the load floor will be sitting higher like an over deck or sled trailer. Running wheel wells will keep your vertical CG lower and load ramp angles smaller at the expense of inside obstructions and lower ground clearance.