cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Lights

jonlin
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 990 Artic Fox. We would like to change out the overhead lights with LED lights in the camper. Has anyone done this and if so, what LEDs do you recommend and where is the best place to purchase them.

Thanks,
jonlin
35 REPLIES 35

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
While all my TC lights are LED,I went with a couple usb lights that light up the whole camper..I put them in the lamp shades that are in the TC..Comes in handy when working on stuff in dark place also...Onite lights....
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Lance had T8 LEDs and I replaced them with these LEDs from Amazon.

Remove the fixture, remove the Ballast from the fixture, and connect the new pigtails to the 12V wiring to the fixture. Reinstall the fixture and pop the lights in.

They were nice and bright.

I eventually did the same thing in my father's 40'DP.
2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
We all have preferences for the color (warmth) of lighting. When I first replaced my RV tungsten bulbs I went with warm LED lights. It is what I was used to. Over time I changed to cooler more blue lighting. Now the old bulbs seem to give everything a dingy appearance and I have switched all the lighting to cooler LEDs. I have done this in the house also.

Instead of continuing to replicate the yellow, dingy look of tungsten lighting, you might want to give bluer, daylight bulbs a try.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Over 10+ years the only cheap China/EBay LEDs I havenโ€™t had good service out of are the strips. Fortunately I used 48 LED 5050 panels in my fluorescents. Originally I used warm white (3000) but now that there are daylight bulbs (5000) I like them betterโ€ฆhave used bright white (7000) outside. A led draws 1/10th the power of a halogen bulb.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
Actually, LEDs can get very hot if they arenโ€™t good ones and can burn their circuitboard. Certainly, they could start a fire with most facial tissue.

It would be better to take the cover off and spray it with some opaque paint.

My household, 120v, LEDs do generate a surprising amount of heat. The camper, 12v, LEDs don't seem to put out any heat.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah.
I had solar motion detection outdoor light, who had timer to keep it working for a minute or 2 after motion detection.
When the batteries died, I decided to convert it for camper light and installed the board with LED in old fluorescent fixture.
On the 1st night the plastic board holding LED melted and burned several LED.
Than it went to the garbage.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually, LEDs can get very hot if they arenโ€™t good ones and can burn their circuitboard. Certainly, they could start a fire with most facial tissue.

It would be better to take the cover off and spray it with some opaque paint.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
n0m4d wrote:

One issue with them is hard to explain, they cast a white and yellow striped pattern on everything. It's subtle but I notice it.

I had the same issue. I put a small rectangle of facial tissue on the lens and solved the problem without any noticeable decrease in light output. Since they produce no heat, there is no fire hazard with paper between the lens and lights.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
n0m4d wrote:
In my 2008 Lance, I just replaced all the interior lights with these:
http://a.co/cQeQvB7
It took about 3 mins per fixture to replace them.

thats the ones I ordered to redo all the lights in my 1991 slumberqueen. well thoes and the single light versions.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
n0m4d wrote:
One issue with them is hard to explain, they cast a white and yellow striped pattern on everything. It's subtle but I notice it.

That said, I would install the same as replacements to incandescent fixtures again without question.

Since this reply I bought a car with LED headlights.
When I like the color and the beam power, the edges of light beam do have the yellow stripes. Not a big deal, but seems to be associated with LED lighting.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
towpro wrote:
my only advice is to look for LED's that are rated at 12V-24V dc.
Some times your built in charger can push 14.8V, and if you have temp corrected solar you can push up into the 15V range. LED's marked for 12V use will overheat when you start pushing them towards 13V

This
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
I did LEDs a few years back from www.ledtrailerlights.com

Here's my thread My EASY LED Upgrade
We got ours from ledtrailerlights.com too and have been quite happy with them. The color is good and we've had no failures.

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I did my old camper with 12 vt led and they were not a bright white light, they were kind of a warm yellowish tint. I didn't care for that, so when I did the newer Lance, I got some brighter white lights, I like them better, but I think I could have done better on my choice. I got mine from Amazon and they were relatively inexpensive. If you have the time do your research as to what exactly you want in the line of "color" of the lights. If you use You Tube at all you might check out the guy who does the "RVProjects" channel he goes through the different "colors" and types of led and explains it pretty good. This guy is pretty good, no loud music no long intros, just gets to the facts and explains what he is doing and what he uses (with links).

toddb
Explorer
Explorer

I did these 4w flush mounts. Used the same hole. I also put recessed under cabinet lighting over the sink.