Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric trailer brake control

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

I have a 2016 roo 23ws. The brake control in the truck was doing fine when we came back from our last trip......on the next trip, I noticed the light on the control didn't go on. I played with the level adjustment to see if it was only the light.....without luck.
My question is.... since that light goes on when it's connected to the camper......Is there a fuse on the camper beside the truck fuse box ?

Hope you get my question.....French guy will always be a French guy !!!!
12 REPLIES 12

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Also look in the engine compartment fuse panel. Welcome to trucks and blowing fuses for trailer lights, brake controller, and or charge wires when you slide the male end in.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
The blue wire under the trailer to the wheel backing plates is the first suspect. I've seem them dangling under the trailer or caught on the suspension. Easy to trace.
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Check the seven pin plug today when I went to work......and that is all good. I'll have to go under the camper and follow that wire to the brakes and see iof the problem is there

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
It's a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500.....As I mentionned earlier, every lights on the camper work fine when connected to the truck.
Terryallan and Farmboy666 mentionned the brake light switch....it's also is good.
Can't see any bad fuses.....
I'll check at work on Monday with a multi-meter if there is power going to the controller.

Dre

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
You write "the truck." Any idea what kind of truck it might be? 🙂

My Fords have all the trailer connections run thru relays and fuses so if any of those are out the connections at the rear won't work. They're also tied to the ignition so the truck has to be running (or at least the key in the On position). Different brands are sometimes different.

There are inexpensive trailer connection testers. You can wire this one permanently or just use it as a tester.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
It's the switch the brake pedal actuates to turn your brake lights on

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
what is a brake light SWITCH !!!!!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stupid question. Do the TV brake lights come on??????. If not. could be a fuse. Well could be a fuse either way. But if the TV brake lights don't come on. It could also be the brake light switch. The brake controler works off the brake light switch.

Yes I has a truck that the brake light switch went out on, and a car as well. On fords it was a push pin switch under the brake pedal.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine will bring a multi-meter at work Monday and check the seven pins connector on the truck......if the problem is not solved, I will follow Farmboy666 advise once I have the truck pin to the camper.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Can you hear the trailer brakes actuating when the pedal is pushed ? Two man job but you should be able to hear them if they are moving.

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Everything works fine......Since my controller was over ten years old, I bought a new one and just installed it (Tekonsha Voyager)....still no brake light !!

slavco
Explorer
Explorer
drenjoey wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have a 2016 roo 23ws. The brake control in the truck was doing fine when we came back from our last trip......on the next trip, I noticed the light on the control didn't go on. I played with the level adjustment to see if it was only the light.....without luck.
My question is.... since that light goes on when it's connected to the camper......Is there a fuse on the camper beside the truck fuse box ?

Hope you get my question.....French guy will always be a French guy !!!!

Do your lights/blinkers/brake lights work when you connect the trailer to your vehicle?