cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

all over the road

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I was on the freeway today coming back from Dr's appt and came up behind a Trailer and it was all over the road. finally found a spot where he was near the shoulder and passed him. looked down, he had no sway bar and no WDH. 3/4 ton ford. I bet he was white knuckling it today. I wonder if he thought he didn't need a WDH and sway bar or if the salesman told him he didn't need one. by the way, there was no wind today to cause his sway
9 REPLIES 9

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed a show truck all over the country with a 1 ton and 3/4 ton Ford and never had a sway bar or equalizers. Never had a problem. Proper loading is everything.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
I've pulled trailers from 16' to 32 1/2 with my 3/4 ton Chevy and I have used WD and sway control and I have also gone without it. A properly balanced load makes all the difference in the world, especially before you hook up the bars.
And using WD doesn't make up for a lack of common sense.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I agree that guy has a major problem I hope he figures out before it puts him upside down or kills someone. But I donโ€™t believe merely throwing a WDH or anti-sway bars at it is the universal solution.

Before applying those, one ought to make sure all the other parameters are right, among them rig within specs, tongue weight right, tire pressures on all tire correct. If all that stuff is right then a WDH and/or sway bars can be helpful. If they arenโ€™t right, WDH and bars are a duct tape fix, and while duct tape can patch some things, contrary to popular opinion, it isnโ€™t a cure all.

BTW, full disclosure: I tow a TT with an SUV. No WDH, no anti-sway bars. It tows straight as an arrow, never sways, no wander in the winds, and no reason to add those things.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
KD4UPL wrote:
He may have simply needed a lot more tongue weight. Depending on the size trailer a WDH may not be needed.

On these boards a WDH is an absolute requirement and if you dont use one, it will open the gates of hell and satan will kick off the apocalypse LOL.

In the real world not so much. I know plenty of people towing travel and other types of trailers without WD with heavy duty trucks, and no ill effects including no sway in any way shape or form. Try putting a WDH on a 26' or 28' boxed equipment trailer loaded down with construction equipment that you've connected to the truck with a pintle hitch.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps trying some of that 'legal' Oregon weed.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
If that guy was having problems on a calm day I hope he does something about it soon. Seeing allot of SUV,s pulling good size trailers lately.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
i see lots of that heading north thru Ventura to Pismo beach!
Flatbed trailer with 4 ATV's with camping gear and gas tanks piled on top of the ATV's!
LOL
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
He may have simply needed a lot more tongue weight. Depending on the size trailer a WDH may not be needed.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer