cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is the steepest grade you've climbed?

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Our family was headed up to Bucks Lake in Northern California for a week of camping. I used to go to the 4H camp when my parents ran the camp so I was looking forward to seeing some old memories. I've only been to the lake as a kid, never driven there myself so I had no knowledge of the roads. We got to the cutoff at Quincy for Bucks Lake road in the early evening. The truck was loaded with our camper plus cargo trailer, I'd estimate in total we weighed 16k+ lbs.

We passed a sign and because it was getting dark, I only saw it briefly enough to see a warning about 15% grade for 3 miles. I had hoped that there was just a few sections of this road that might be 15% in the 3 miles but it turns out, just about the entire section was at 15%!!! I was in first gear and literally could walk faster than what I was able to drive up it. I didn't have it floored, I was only about 1/3rd throttle trying to keep my EGTs in check (I have an aftermarket chip that isn't set for towing, something I'll be fixing soon). The entire time I was just hoping something in the transmission or rear differential didn't blow out on me. At one point I even had to pull over to let a car pass and I wasn't sure if I would even be able to get moving again. Thankfully, we did make it up without incident but I told the wife we were never coming up this road again! What I didn't realize is that there was another route for RVs that I was supposed to take and she asked me why I didn't take it. I told her I didn't even see it because I was concentrating on driving!

This was certainly the steepest grade I've ever been on but I'm sure others might have some harrowing stories of their own to share. What's the steepest you've climbed while loaded for a week of camping?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
42 REPLIES 42

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
Joe, you forgot to add that the 20 percent on Mattole was in the middle of a pretzel hairpin -- I got a nice view of the back of my trailer while cranking that turn! Lots of fun. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Took me eight hours to navigate that road the last time I drove it.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Be careful with all those chips and "upgrades"
They will give you good take-off at green light, but they are not design for long use.

Depends how you treat it and use the upgrades.

A quality tow tune and supporting mods are quite safe for the motor long term.

The transmission on the other hand...When you replace it, go with the HD4R100 and don't try to drag race while towing between lights, and she'll treat you right for a long time ๐Ÿ˜‰

Up to about 350HP or so, just fine. Start pushing 400HP and above and it can start getting costly.

Generally speaking, that is.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Joe, you forgot to add that the 20 percent on Mattole was in the middle of a pretzel hairpin -- I got a nice view of the back of my trailer while cranking that turn! Lots of fun. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
20% on Mattole road, in California.

Its roads like that that make me want to find a two speed rear-end kit for my Dana 70 rear axle to get more gear down for big grades.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished a back woods trip on northern Vancouver Island.
40km+ or 25 miles of industrial logging road to get to our camping spot from pavement.

According to my Garmin GPS on the dash, one of the hills on the way in was showing 31% before I lost connectivity with the birds due to forest cover and at the other end, the drop back down to sea level was 27%. And, yes, the 5th wheel was on the back.
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
The 7.3 was just a tank....I miss all 3 of them for different reasons.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
blownstang01 wrote:
adamis wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
One thing you can try if your 1999 PS is early 99.
I had one of those and after dealer drop clamp into turbo, I was on the market for new turbo wheel.
Early 99 had wicked wheel who all later 7.3 owners seek to avoid turbo surge.
Those wheels sold at very high prices, when newer wheels sold dirt cheap.
Since I DIY the project, I bought cheaper new wheel and my 7.3 got really new life with it, when never had surge problems .
That in case you still have original turbo, what with 25 boost might not be.

Funny you mention that. As I said, this truck was a bit of a mystery truck. The original owner had a partnership in a drag race car and was the engine builder for the team. He liked to tinker on the truck as well. He had a wicked wheel that he purchased but never got around to installing. It was sitting behind the seat so I had Peter install it during this service.

The original owner must have owned stock in Banks because most of his upgrades are Banks. So far, I've figured out the following "upgrades" he did.

1. Banks Turbo Housing
2. Banks Exhaust Brake
3. Banks Big Boost
4. Banks Torque Converter
5. Banks 3.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust (Plan to Upgrade to 4")
6. 6.0 Tranny Cooler
7. Upgraded Alternator
8. Piller Gauge Pod
9. Gooseneck Hitch
10. Airbags
11. Torqlift Tie Downs
12. Torqlift Supertruss Hitch Receiver
13. Predator Chip (Replaced with TS 6 Position)
14. Amsoil 2 Stage Bypass Oil Filter System
15. Inline Tranny Oil Filter System
16. Wicked Wheel (Now Installed)
17. Brake Controller

There may be other things the previous owner did to the truck that I still don't know about yet.

My Changes:
1. S&B Air Intake System
2. TS 6 Position Chip (Replaced Older Predator System)

My to-do list includes...

1. 4" Exhaust Upgrade
2. Up-pipe Replacements (Currently Leaking)
3. Mishimoto Intercooler
4. Injectors
5. Lockers (2WD Truck but I want the capability in case I camp on Sand).
6. Hidden Winch System (extra security since I don't have 4WD)

Originally, I really wanted a 4WD 7.3 but having this truck and all the money already put into for towing, I am actually very happy I have 2WD. I have coil-overs up front for a better ride plus it isn't lifted giving more stability and height clearance. I've accepted that a truck with camper that is 25ft long is never going to be an off-road rock crawler and living on the West Coast, I will not be contending with snow and ice unless I'm traveling off season which is unlikely.

I plan to keep her until she's a true classic...

Keep that truck forever! I has a 2001, and it was by far the best truck I've ever owned. Sorry I sold it. Mine only had a 4" straight exhaust and a DP 6 position chip. I had an 80 hp "Tow" tune and it pulled insane. 12% grades with a loaded race trailer, easy. And I towed over 40,000 miles with that tune, a good tune made for what you're doing will not hurt it.

Wow, that is a nice looking rig!

The most common thing I've seen former 7.3 owners say is they have regrets for selling. I will be holding on to my truck for sure.

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
adamis wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
I had one of those and after dealer drop clamp into turbo, I was on the market for new turbo wheel.
Since I DIY the project, I bought cheaper new wheel and my 7.3 got really new life with it, when never had surge problems .

Funny you mention that. As I said, this truck was a bit of a mystery truck. The original owner had a partnership in a drag race car and was the engine builder for the team. He liked to tinker on the truck as well. He had a wicked wheel that he purchased but never got around to installing. It was sitting behind the seat so I had Peter install it during this service.

The original owner must have owned stock in Banks because most of his upgrades are Banks. So far, I've figured out the following "upgrades" he did.

1. Banks Turbo Housing
2. Banks Exhaust Brake
3. Banks Big Boost
6. 6.0 Tranny Cooler
7. Upgraded Alternator
8. Piller Gauge Pod
9. Gooseneck Hitch
10. Airbags
11. Torqlift Tie Downs
17. Brake Controller

There may be other things the previous owner did to the truck that I still don't know about yet.

My Changes:
1. S&B Air Intake System

1. 4" Exhaust Upgrade
3. Mishimoto Intercooler
4. Injectors

Originally, I really wanted a 4WD 7.3 but having this truck and all the money already put into for towing, I am actually very happy I have 2WD. I have coil-overs up front for a better ride plus it isn't lifted giving more stability and height clearance. I've accepted that a truck with camper that is 25ft long is never going to be an off-road rock crawler and living on the West Coast, I will not be contending with snow and ice unless I'm traveling off season which is unlikely.

Keep that truck forever! I has a 2001, and it was by far the best truck I've ever owned. Sorry I sold it. Mine only had a 4" straight exhaust and a DP 6 position chip. I had an 80 hp "Tow" tune and it pulled insane. 12% grades with a loaded race trailer, easy. And I towed over 40,000 miles with that tune, a good tune made for what you're doing will not hurt it.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful with all those chips and "upgrades"
They will give you good take-off at green light, but they are not design for long use.
Years ago I was following one of those 7.3 PS on WB I-80 going from Truckee, what is long and pretty steep grade.
There was a guy in front of me pulling pretty big TT and he was going pretty fast, as I with F250 and lighter load had trouble to keep up behind.
Suddenly the truck made smoke puff and start going like 20 mph slower, while visibly smoking. He did not stop for few miles as long as I could see it in my rear view mirror, so my conclusion was that the guy pushed chipped engine till the point when something gave.
Couple of minutes of better performance is not worth the worry IMHO.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
CharlesinGA wrote:
adamis wrote:
Our family was headed up to Bucks Lake in Northern California for a week of camping. I used to go to the 4H camp when my parents ran the camp so I was looking forward to seeing some old memories. I've only been to the lake as a kid, never driven there myself so I had no knowledge of the roads. We got to the cutoff at Quincy for Bucks Lake road in the early evening. The truck was loaded with our camper plus cargo trailer, I'd estimate in total we weighed 16k+ lbs.

We passed a sign and because it was getting dark, I only saw it briefly enough to see a warning about 15% grade for 3 miles. I had hoped that there was just a few sections of this road that might be 15% in the 3 miles but it turns out, just about the entire section was at 15%!!! I was in first gear and literally could walk faster than what I was able to drive up it. I didn't have it floored, I was only about 1/3rd throttle trying to keep my EGTs in check (I have an aftermarket chip that isn't set for towing, something I'll be fixing soon). The entire time I was just hoping something in the transmission or rear differential didn't blow out on me. At one point I even had to pull over to let a car pass and I wasn't sure if I would even be able to get moving again. Thankfully, we did make it up without incident but I told the wife we were never coming up this road again! What I didn't realize is that there was another route for RVs that I was supposed to take and she asked me why I didn't take it. I told her I didn't even see it because I was concentrating on driving!

This was certainly the steepest grade I've ever been on but I'm sure others might have some harrowing stories of their own to share. What's the steepest you've climbed while loaded for a week of camping?

Moral of this entire story is to arrive early enough to set up camp well before dark. Don't be trying to make the last few miles in the dusk or dark, nor planning to set up in the dark.

Second thing is to instruct your co-pilot to speak up when they notice things that you clearly don't see.

Charles

The route was 323 miles, Google Maps estimated 5 hours, 37 minutes. We left by 8 am thinking we would be comfortable at camp by mid to late afternoon. We had to stop for food and walk the dog but the real delay was highway 70 climbing in the mountains where the truck was struggling because of the unknown boot issue at the time. This is my first truck that I bought three years ago and it came with this unknown problem so I just assumed it's how the 7.3 was, slow and smokey. I didn't know it should perform any different.

The wife and I did have a talk about communication on signage however so hopefully that wrong turn doesn't happen again...

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
adamis wrote:

Moral of this entire story is to arrive early enough to set up camp well before dark. Don't be trying to make the last few miles in the dusk or dark, nor planning to set up in the dark.

Second thing is to instruct your co-pilot to speak up when they notice things that you clearly don't see.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:

1. Banks Turbo Housing
2. Banks Exhaust Brake
3. Banks Big Boost
6. 6.0 Tranny Cooler
7. Upgraded Alternator
8. Piller Gauge Pod
9. Gooseneck Hitch
10. Airbags
11. Torqlift Tie Downs
17. Brake Controller

My Changes:
1. S&B Air Intake System

1. 4" Exhaust Upgrade
3. Mishimoto Intercooler
4. Injectors

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
#1. The road going to Astoria Tower in Or. Like taking off in a rocket!

#2. Soldier summit grade in Utah

#3. The road going up from Steam Boat Springs in Co.

These are the 3 that come to mind.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer