cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raton to Gunnison..Wolf Creek Pass or Monarch Pass?

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
26 foot Class C, Ford 450 gasser with no tow. Have always used Monarch Pass to get to Gunnison. Wondering which is easier for one brave guy (DH) and one old gal (me) who isn't fond of mountain passes.

Which pass, in your opinion, is easiest? East to West (obviously). In August.

Will travel the easier New Mexico route on the way home.

Thanks.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
12 REPLIES 12

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
12th Man Fan wrote:
padredw wrote:
Depending on where you are starting from you do have another choice in getting to Gunnison. IF you are coming from Texas you can turn off I-25 at Walsenburg and take US 160 W. to Monte Vista then take US 285 to Saguache. From Saguache take CO 114 on to US 50 very near Gunnison.

It is probably a bit longer, but Cochetopa (Buffalo) Pass is a relatively easy pass and the drive from the pass on to US 50 is a beautiful canyon drive.

X2

X3!!

I just went to CO a couple weeks ago. Went the Monarch route going, and the Saguache route coming back. WAY easier and better road on the Saguache route!!

When we go again, we will most definitely go that way!!

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
On my! Huge head slap here! I thought LaVeta pass was Wolf Creek Pass. Senior moment for sure.

So sorry for the confusion!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The scenic turnout on the south side of Wolf Creek Pass has a fabulous view of the valley below, but it it currently closed for construction. 😞 Anyhow, it is out of your way as others have said.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Gizmo, your class C will handle all major highway's with a pass in Colorado.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
Depending on where you are starting from you do have another choice in getting to Gunnison. IF you are coming from Texas you can turn off I-25 at Walsenburg and take US 160 W. to Monte Vista then take US 285 to Saguache. From Saguache take CO 114 on to US 50 very near Gunnison.

It is probably a bit longer, but Cochetopa (Buffalo) Pass is a relatively easy pass and the drive from the pass on to US 50 is a beautiful canyon drive.

For that matter, Monarch has never been a problem but you do have a choice. I don't think Wolf Creek is in this picture.

X2
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Wolf Creek will not work well as it takes you too far west. And 114 from Saguache on 285 and 114 to Gunnison is easier than Monarch. If you go to South Fork and Lake City CO (149 North off 160 West) to get there you will have Slumgullion Pass which is very high and more difficult @ 11,529 feet. I have towed on every one of them and do not mind any depending on my final destination.
However the OP wanted the easiest route. Which = I40 to Clines Corners, 285 to Saguache via Santa Fe, and off 285 at Saguache on 114 to Gunnison. Cochetopa Pass is on 114 and will be your only real pass. Traffic is low and the pass is very easy. My 2 cents.............

Edited to add: OP did say Raton NM ...160 West off I25 at Walsenburg takes you over La Veta Pass which will get you to Alamosa where you can take 285 North to Saguache. 3 passes this direction. Raton, La Veta, and Cochetopa. All very easy.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
To get from Wolf Creek to Gunnison you either have to go through Creede and Lake City (which negates the easier drive at W.C.) or go through Durango and Rico (way out of the way). and come back on 50.

Slow and easy (for a big diesel) over Monarch is the way I go.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

padredw
Nomad
Nomad

For that matter, Monarch has never been a problem but you do have a choice. I don't think Wolf Creek is in this picture.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Per the Mountain directory, heading east to west:

Wolf Creek: 6% for 8 miles going up; going down, 6% (8 miles) with 30 MPH curves and then another 2 miles of 5%. Going the other way there are 9 miles of 7% downgrade.

Monarch Pass: The ascent is 10 miles of 6%. Westbound descent is 9 miles of 6.4% with numerous 30, 35 and 45 MPH curves.

Choose your poison...

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
GizmosMom wrote:
26 foot Class C, Ford 450 gasser with no tow. Have always used Monarch Pass to get to Gunnison. Wondering which is easier for one brave guy (DH) and one old gal (me) who isn't fond of mountain passes.

Which pass, in your opinion, is easiest? East to West (obviously). In August.

Will travel the easier New Mexico route on the way home.

Thanks.

What am I missing?
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Monarch is steeper and higher than Wolf creek and probably the best route seems Wolf Creek would be out of the way.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Wolf Creek Pass is not a direct route Raton to Gunnison. Far from it.