cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling a toyhauler behind your truck camper?

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
So, the wife and I were talking retirement the other day, and we started discussing our ultimate getaway setup.

After a bit of discussion, I sort of settled on a 30 ish ft toyhauler and a 9 or 10 ft truck camper....at the same time.

Seems it would give us the best of both worlds when traveling. We'd have a comfortable home base that we could park in a place with full hookups if desired. From there we could take off on multi-day treks to the more remote areas with the truck camper. The toyhauler is also better suited for longer boondocking locations with the larger tanks and built in genny.

I've owned both types of these RV's and they each have their own benefits. I've never hauled them both at the same time though, and was wondering if anyone here has or does currently?

I've run the numbers and am confident the truck is fully capable of handling the load. Just would like to hear from anyone who's done this as to the unforseen pro's and/or con's.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab
22 REPLIES 22

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure I agree that I'd automatically get a sway issue. I've towed 10k 20' and 24' enclosed trailers on both a 24" and 48" Supertruss extension behind my 10" camper and never had any additional sway issues.

I wouldn't be hauling toys in the Toyhauler, mostly just want one for the better boondocking abilities, and the ability to haul something in the future.

I'm not interested in a class A or C with an enclosed trailer hauling a jeep. That doesn't allow me to camp in the remote areas I want to go.

In the areas I want to camp, I'd pick a nice campground to setup the toyhauler. Then if there were areas we wanted to explore for a few days, yes we'd leave it unattended at the campsite. We typically leave our trailer unattended all day already as we usually go on long day hikes close to wherever we camp.

Looking into the triple axle toyhaulers now like the Eclipse Attitude's and it looks like around 1200 to 1500lbs of tongue weight is the norm.

Are the new triple axle ones similar to my older WW in that they have more TW when there are no toys in it or are they better balanced?

Robert6401
Explorer
Explorer
I love the idea! Good luck in your pursuit.
2018 Ford F450
2012 Raptor 297SE
2009 Forest River Sierra 335QBQ

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy has a very nice and pricey class A and because he's a clean freak which I still don't get? He tows a 25" Foot Toy-Hauler too behind out to the Dez with all of his Toys. Note: He bought them both new$$$$$$. To each their own. So I come to find out when I just came out with my truck and bike to our off road group I was getting ready to change my cloths in the back of my truck he said why don't you go to my rig and change instead so I wandered up to his class A RV and his wife stopped me at the door and said what are you doing? I said Mack said I can change in here, she said NO... that's what the Toy Hauler is for dirt and guest. Odd but I can't complain I had a place to change and shower and when I got all cleaned up I got to have dinner in the RIG very nice and sleep in the Toy Hauler
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
RoyBell wrote:
Not sure of your budget, but I would suggest a class C/A and an enclosed trailer.

THe problem with a lot of Class Cs is very low tow capacity.
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Threebigfords wrote:
I think with the right length camper, maybe a single slide 9 or 9 1/2 footer, I could get an extended tongue toyhauler and not even need the Super truss.

Sounds like a good plan, but it isn't. Doing it puts the pivot point under the truck camper and severely limits your turning radius when towing, because the toy hauler will hit the truck camper jacks.

Maybe Deltabravo will chime in. He has an AF 811 and tows a big arse cargo trailer too.
Bob

eundercoffler
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how this would effect trailer sway? My understanding is that the reason tow behind trailers get trailer sway while 5th wheels don't has to do with the pivot point of the tow vehicle and trailer being behind the rear axel. If you put an extension on the tow hitch and move that pivot point even further behind the rear axel wouldn't that increase the leverage that the trailer can apply to the tow vehicle when it starts to sway?

Just curious, I have no personal experience with this myself.
Eric

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure of your budget, but I would suggest a class C/A and an enclosed trailer. You could put a jeep or tacoma with a cap and get you places your f450 wouldn't go.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BAkA6HGC63g/U-rVQzi9jeI/AAAAAAAAHo0/OclT8VQhYJw/s1600/DSCN2697.JPG

Or a class A toy hauler and tow an expedition vehicle behind it

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/45693417+q80+re0+cr1/1206rv-01%2Bnewmars-star-toy-hauler%2Brear-three-quarter.jpg

Edit- Pictures are massive. Just included links.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that a TC and a TH in tow could be a great setup.

Do you plan on hauling anything in the TH? many times TH tongue weight is based on balancing the trailer with the weight of the toys/cargo. If you don't need the cargo area it opens up a lot of TT options with lighter tongue weight but you would lose the generator and larger tanks.

Spot to park the TH when you take side trips. Unattended in a campground, storage yard??? Shouldn't be a problem but may take a little planning.

My FIL towed a TT with a Ford conversion van for many years while chasing work. He would live out of the TT during the work week and then explore and camp out of the van on the weekends. Similar to what you are seeking, Best of Both Worlds.

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
That's a good point, we have one, but will be upgrading to a newer one soon. Thanks for the reminder, I wouldn't have thought of that.

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
If you don’t already have the TH, a triple axel with have less tongue weight.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Super C is out...can't get back in the boonies with that.

I've taken the F450 into some pretty neat out of the way places the last couple years. We both commented on how it would have been nice to have had a camper on it when we were there. Too remote for a long bumper pull toyhauler, but perfect for a few nights in a hardsided 9 ft camper with a bath.

Bedlam
I had the WW FB2200 and it was right at the 1250 lb hitch limit of my Ford which is why I mentioned tongue weight on the SuperTruss. You could go with a Super C and enclosed trailer to get more living space (we didn't want the extra length).

The Arctic Fox 811 single slide long bed version is about 9' and would allow you to tow without an extension. expect over 3000 lbs dry for camper this size. I had the short bed version with rear wing storage and generator which you would have to give up.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, we looked at the Host's. They are great and yeah, I could be happy as a clam in that setup. My wife still needs a bit more space to sprawl for longer trips (think 3-4 months at a time).

I have all the current Super Hitch / Super truss gear. I also have a Bulletproof hitch rated for 30k. I was setup to tow the 10k 20' enclosed trailer behind our 10ft camper before I bought the toyhauler. I think with the right length camper, maybe a single slide 9 or 9 1/2 footer, I could get an extended tongue toyhauler and not even need the Super truss.

It worked pretty well with the enclosed trailer and the 10 ft Northland on my last truck, but realize that a toyhauler has a lot more tongue weight. Not worried about overloading the truck, just the hitch if I have to use an extension. My current toyhauler easily puts 2k on the tongue when there aren't any toys in it.

Bedlam
Torklift receiver extensions will limit you to about 1200 lbs of tongue weight for that length camper.

Maybe you should show your wife the triple slide truck campers and see if she would be comfortable in one. Then you could just tow an enclosed trailer (like me).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD