cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Theodore Roosevelt NP

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Have seen a few stories on this park and thought we might visit. Any suggestions for must see things to see or do? What is the Cottonwood CG in the South unit like?
12 REPLIES 12

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
You can have buffalo for lunch on the North part.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I forgot to mention, in addition to the wildlife, there is a Slight resemblance to the Bad Lands of SD in some places.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not the OP but I am interested in TPNP. Thanks for the information everyone. We were planning an overnight stop but I guess we should plan on a couple of days.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stayed in Cottonwood and loved it, no hookups, sites are a little weird, as the road is one way, which means all the sites on the outside of the loop puts your awning next to the road, ours was on the inside of the loop. As said, some of the sites are a little on the short side, but with your 26 footer you should have no problem.
Medora is a pretty cool little town, Besides the other things mentioned, don't miss the cowboy museum.
The park has some nice hikes, wildlife include Buffalo, wild horses, deer, we even saw a Badger just before dark, plus the buffalo grazing through the campground 6' from our awning.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
The Kroc wrote:
Cottonwood CG has more of a desert feel to it and is closer to lots of activities. We really enjoyed our stay at the Juniper CG in the North Unit of the Park, very remote but very scenic, some sites on the river. Buffalo in the Campground every morning.

Cottonwood campground is nice, but be aware that spaces are very small and right along the road. If you have a very large 5er or Mobile Home, you can get in, but not have a lot of room around you.

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
See the Medora Musical !
Busdriver wrote:
Pitch fork fondue, try that

Actually do both, as they are right next to each other.
Do the pitch fork fondue first, then go over to the Musical.
Neither of these should be missed.

Also, be sure to stop in and see the Harold Schafer museum/heritage center. He invented so many commercial products (including Glass Wax and Mr. Bubble bubble bath) and he is the one who invested millions of dollars in Medora, including the Medora Musical. True example of American entrepreneurship!

The_Kroc
Explorer
Explorer
Cottonwood CG has more of a desert feel to it and is closer to lots of activities. We really enjoyed our stay at the Juniper CG in the North Unit of the Park, very remote but very scenic, some sites on the river. Buffalo in the Campground every morning.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
It's a national park worth visiting and the north unit especially if you like feeling away from it all in wilderness. Then the south unit to be near the town of Medora with restaurants, and outdoor theatre, etc. Cottonwood is fine but of course no hook-ups. The north unit campground is good as I recall from quite awhile ago.
Jayco-noslide

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Pitch fork fondue, try that

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
See the Medora Musical !
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We recommend staying at the Medora CG and taking the Ranger tour to find out why the bison and prairie dogs get along so well.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Private CG with HU outside the park - CG w / no hookups inside the park. GO for it - it's an amazing park ... we've gone two years in a row from Florida, and are heading back again this year as part of our west coast trip.

Small resort town at the edge of the park with a few restaurants -- very nice, casual country atmosphere, great experience - not a lot of crowds.

We've been all over the country, and it's one of our favorites -- South unit especially, but both are worth the journey.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic