cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private purchase in Texas - need title for Michigan

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a new to us 2017 Entegra Aspire in Texas from a private party. All went well and we brought the unit home to Michigan on the Texas plates with our own insurance on the unit. Previous owner has received a release of lien letter from BOA and they say in the letter that they have released the lien electronically and that previous owner will receive a paper title in 4 to 6 weeks.
Michigan Secretary of State office says we need the paper title from Texas to title in Michigan (maybe even to transfer my plates from our previous motor home).
My question is this typical to take 4-6 weeks to get the paper title or is there a way to expedite getting the Texas title. For instance, can the previous owner take the release of lien letter to Texas DMV and get a title sooner??
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6
26 REPLIES 26

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
jimx200 wrote:
the silverback wrote:
Just did this. Be aware that Michigan charges sales tax on the whole purchase price. Could be big bucks. It took me four months to get my title.

Wow, that's as bad as greedy California! The Dems are far left here and turned us into a mess.

It only took 3 pages to blame the democrats. Great thing about a free country is you can complain or move, which ever is easier.

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback wrote:
Just did this. Be aware that Michigan charges sales tax on the whole purchase price. Could be big bucks. It took me four months to get my title.

Wow, that's as bad as greedy California! The Dems are far left here and turned us into a mess.

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
StuckinTracy wrote:
OK, so I'm stupid. Who or what is an "SOS"?

Michiganders way of saying Secretary of State. Other places they would be called DMV Department of Motor Vehicles, etc...

Don't call yourself stupid, even with RV's some never leave their microcosm to find out it's a big world out there with all sort of meanings for the same thing. So do you say I'll have a soda or pop. :B
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Secretary of State
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

StuckinTracy
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so I'm stupid. Who or what is an "SOS"?
10 Rally's and counting...

Mike (me-pilot)
Gail ("I'M THE BOSS"-navigator)

Stuck in a tent but looking

Good Sam Life members
FMCA 370826

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
...owner provided a title with a lean marked on it and a letter of lean removal...

I would also think this. At least that was the way it was when you borrowed money using the item as collateral.

Never a good feeling knowing someone has your money and still has legal title to an item. Every business transaction I do I ask myself who's who who is in the meat grinder, and who's hand is on the crank. If it's my hand on the crank, my stress level goes way down.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
From my experience:
If you take the title and the BoA letter to a SoS office, they will set up a new title, charge you the MI Sales tax and license fees and issue a new plate. It should be that simple.

I have bought and sold several vehicles with leans on the title and a latter of discharge and never had an issue.

Things can change, but try it as soon as you can. Michigan has a relatively short legal transfer time.

Matt

Maybe he meant bill of sale, not title.

When I bought a Texas vehicle, owner provided a title with a lean marked on it and a letter of lean removal. Either I am mistaken, or Texas has changed. Both are very possible. I do know that I would not have taken the vehicle without a title in hand.

Yes, go talk to the SoS people and see if they can help. Sometimes they do. Six weeks for a paper title is stone age. I can get a new Michigan title in a day.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Harrydavidson
Explorer
Explorer
My experience is, the bigger the BANK the slower the papers flow. And BoA is slowest I’ve ever felt with.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is generally a way to throw money at the DMV and get things to move faster but... I'm not from the Great State of Taxes..er. Texas.. You'd likely need to return to Texas to do it or have an agent do it for you.

It's only a month. see if SOS will give you a TEMPORARY tag wile you wait.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
It's real simple in my state.... no title, no tag.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Scars
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take all of your paperwork to your Michigan DMV and see what they say and can do. Answers here are guesses.
'03 Monaco Monarch SE 31'

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
From my experience:
If you take the title and the BoA letter to a SoS office, they will set up a new title, charge you the MI Sales tax and license fees and issue a new plate. It should be that simple.

I have bought and sold several vehicles with leans on the title and a latter of discharge and never had an issue.

Things can change, but try it as soon as you can. Michigan has a relatively short legal transfer time.

Matt

Maybe he meant bill of sale, not title.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Bruce_Brown
Matt_Colie wrote:
From my experience:

Matt

He doesn't have the title - thats what he was asking about. :W
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910