cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

shutting down the Refrig or keep it On between trips

LIGirlatheart
Explorer
Explorer
We usually use our 5th wheel every other week for the summer July & Aug. my question is should I keep refrig running or should I shut it down. Shutting it down each time is a pain to restock it. Just wondering what other camperheads do.
38 REPLIES 38

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
They also did experiment running units off level to see how much of an angle and how much time it took to damage them (15 minutes)

Beowolf wrote:
I'm curious about the angle. How much of an angle is too much? As mine sits right now in the yard I'm probably 1-1.5" low on one side of the trailer. Is this enough to worry about

Forum pundits will tell you "no problem" but ask yourself if any of them will be there to buy a new fridge for you later should yours fail. :R Why take the risk when you can so easily level the trailer side-to-side by parking the low side tire(s) on a length of 2x? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Beowolf
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

They also did experiment running units off level to see how much of an angle and how much time it took to damage them (15 minutes)

I'm curious about the angle. How much of an angle is too much? As mine sits right now in the yard I'm probably 1-1.5" low on one side of the trailer. Is this enough to worry about

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Once the camper is turned on for the season, the frig is on. We keep food and drink in it. We turn it off when closing up for the season in October.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
If Iโ€™m not using it, it is off. Why run something that is not being used?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would defrost unit, and give it a cleaning then start it up again.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
delete. double post
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Normally, I leave the fridge on 24/7 all the time. However, after just getting back from a 8800 mile trip a week ago, I decided to cut it off. The freezer compartment was beginning to get a frost build up, so figured the month I will not be using the TT, I may as well shut the fridge down.

I'm using this month (August) to refit and clean and get it inspected.

Then it'll be off chasing college football games. ๐Ÿ™‚
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
On shore power at home from 3-7 days before the first camping trip (usually March) until I winterize (usually in November). I generally don't have to defrost during camping season. I run it on propane during travel unless unlawful (some tunnels require no open flame).

Thats been the process for about 7 years now and has always worked for me. Just make sure your camper is level when your at home.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Full time so ours has been running for over 7 years now other than when I defrost, or in between locations for 4-6 hours.

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stays on all the time.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has not been shut off in 4 years other than defrosting.
Dennis Hoppert

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
TJ, the owner was retiring about 10-12 years ago. one of his techs was trying to buy the business.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
Scott: That sounds like RV Mobile that was in Everett.

It was many years ago but that sounds right!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Scott: That sounds like RV Mobile that was in Everett.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow