cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hood Vent Fan No Longer Working - UPDATE

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
My hood vent fan above the stove top randomly stopped working the other weekend. I have checked the main fuses, no luck. Also checked the switch on the fan and the wires are still connected. Inspected the fan and I see no visible issues with it.

Possible the fan just is done and I need a new one? If so, I have NO idea how to figure out what brand it is or anything like that.

Bought the rig new 2 years ago, so not like it is that old or anything.

Any thoughts and help on this would be appreciated.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10
21 REPLIES 21

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
SouthpawHD wrote:
Thanks for all the help and pics. I ordered a motor and replaced it today and it wasn't the motor at all, it ended being the inline fuse. So I simply removed the fuse and called it good.

Thanks for letting us know that you found the source of the problem.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help and pics. I ordered a motor and replaced it today and it wasn't the motor at all, it ended being the inline fuse. So I simply removed the fuse and called it good.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the above pics, that helped a lot to locate the fuse!!

Took the motor off, of course, model number is almost impossible to read, but found a replacement motor on E Trailer (I think it'll work) and I am going to put in a new motor without the fuse.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a Ventline

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
If the fan is finished consider replacing it with a 12 volt computer fan with a cfm rating of 180 or higher.
It's an easy modification and you will then have a quiet fan that you won't feel like an airplane is taking off in your trailer.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably not so much the hot air but deadheading the fan made it pull more current and heat up.

rconkin
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our current 5er in May of 16 and rarely use the range vent. First time we did, it ran for about 10 minutes or so then quit. It was changed out when other warranty items were being done and sure enough, the first time I used it again quit after about 15 minutes again. Since we don't cook inside often I've just let it go. However last week while I was using the oven the carbon monoxide detector started going off so I thought I would try to fix it in case it was the fumes not being exhausted that was causing the detector to go off. There is a thermal fuse just before the motor that has blown as the motor will work when the wires are hooked up directly to it. I'm wondering what risks I'll run if I leave the thermal fuse out and just wire it up straight.

Now, being curious as to what caused it, I think I may have found the problem. Unknown to me there is a second vent flap inside the vent that can be locked in the closed position. I'm wondering now if it was closed and caused the fuse to blow since the hot air was not allowed to go out with the fan on.

second flap unlocked

second flap locked on the right side of photo

lock from outside where you would push it in

thermal fuse
2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
2007 Hummer H3 toad

"For those that fought for it, Freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know!" Semper Fi

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide the motor is shot a replacement is probably available at your local appliance parts store. It’s likely a common little motor and cheap from a supplier other than a rv parts dept.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Have you checked to see if something fell into the fan and is keeping it from turning ?

The blades turn freely, so I don't think anything is stuck.

But as another poster said, maybe not freely enough, so I'll grease it up.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you checked to see if something fell into the fan and is keeping it from turning ?

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
SouthpawHD wrote:
There is a light with it and the light works, but the light is on a separate switch.
The power source is almost ("never say never") always in common for the fan and light. So it's most likely that the issue is with the fan motor or wiring/switch.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
I will check the voltage this weekend.

The fan has seen VERY limited use and has just been used only when cooking a handful of times. There is no grease, dirt, or grime anywhere near it.

There is a light with it and the light works, but the light is on a separate switch.

Perhaps to check the switch, I could exchange it with the light switch?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are using the vent fan as a continual exhaust fan, they will rarely fail. Stove vent fans see very little hourly use. Yes, they operate in a greasy, smokey environment so bushing or bearing maintenance can bring good results.

#1 suspect, IME, would be the switch. Verify power present, ground polarity continuity, and correct operation.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I once fixed a residential hood fan that had a failed $1 thermistor that was taped up against the motor coils. An ohm meter across the disconnected motor wires showed open circuit.