cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with B&W Hitch

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
Just pulled in to my campsite and tried to release my B&W 18K Patriot hitch and it will not free the pin. I must have damaged the mechanism as the release bar will pull back BUT the jaws stay fixed on the pin. I tried a gentle "push back and pull forward" but no go. I am dead level and straight and did take pressure off with extended front legs. Open to suggestions. Thanks in advance. P.S. I am waiting a call back from a local RV Doc but I likely need a "hitch" service.
73 REPLIES 73

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
As usual, it seems it has all been said over and over again. Time to close this one.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
GHop wrote:
Was looking at this hitch to replace my current Husky hitch due to the weight. After reading this I'll keep what I have until it requires replacement.

I towed years with a 26K Husky. I bought a newer truck with the puck system and installed the B&W companion. So far only about 5K with the B&W but what a difference. Much better tow, easier release, no way I would go back. Had a hard release once, too much weight still on the hitch, problem solved.

Seems like the ONLY people bashing the B&W are Anderson owners, and that is likely in response to having their choice bashed. If I had to buy another hitch I would certainly give the Anderson a look due to all the praise on here. The B&W weight is NOT an issue when compared to any other conventional hitch, AND there are NO hitching issues if you can follow a super simple routine.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think it's the weight per se that causes the issue, it's that the weight is holding the truck in place, not allowing it to move to release the jaws. I've found if the jaws don't release when I pull the handle, I raise the 5th wheel some more. That does the trick.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't think weight on the B&W hitch has anything to do with it not releasing. The jaws release with the lever pulled as the truck and trailer seperate ... 100% of the time. If pulling the lever doesn't initiate any seperation of the truck and trailer the jaws don't start opening. In this situation the lever needs to be pinned open before pulling ahead. I
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
GHop wrote:
Was looking at this hitch to replace my current Husky hitch due to the weight. After reading this I'll keep what I have until it requires replacement.

I towed years with a 26K Husky. I bought a newer truck with the puck system and installed the B&W companion. So far only about 5K with the B&W but what a difference. Much better tow, easier release, no way I would go back. Had a hard release once, too much weight still on the hitch, problem solved.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
FWIW, after 11 years of usage I've never had to pin the arm back. Just a data point.

I guess the guy had to that dropped his fifth wheel on his truck, just wondering how many have done that with that hitch. It's a small sampling of B&W owners here that report issues with the B&W , many, many more that we don't get to hear about.

As Cummins12V98 said "tongue-in-cheek" Sometimes its a real deal breaker, but being able to pin open the handle can be an issue. Plus the hassle of being just perfect with that hitch to get it to release. Never owned a hitch with those issues, and would not care to deal with those kind of problems.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, after 11 years of usage I've never had to pin the arm back. Just a data point.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
texasjayco wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Learjet wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

UNATTACHING TRAILER
...Use the safety pin to lock the handle in the open position and when you are sure that the landing gear will support the trailer, move the truck forward to release the jaws from the kingpin. The jaws will always open when the pressure of the trailer is taken off the Coupler as the truck pulls away.

yep, the way the cam is connected to the handle..I don't see how it wouldn't not release if the handle is pinned open. never, ever have I seen it not release when pinned open. If my truck rolls forward when I move the handle open...no need to pin....if the handle stays open...no need to pin...if the handle will not stay open...pin it...it is that easy.

I think all the "problems" are from not following the procedures 🙂

Right on!!!

Absolutely!!

That's what I love about the B&W...if the arm is closed, it's a solid coupling. If the arm is open, the jaws will release. You just have to pin it open sometimes.

Mark

That what I loved about my Reese Signature , if the arm is closed, its a solid coupling, if open the jaw will release, one difference I didn't have to pin the handle open. IMO thats asking for trouble , ask the guy that did that ,and dropped his fifth wheel on the bed of his truck. They should have designed it like the Reese Signature handle where you just have pull it open push it to the rear ,and it catches , but won't lock up when backed into.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Right from B&W's web sight.

UNATTACHING TRAILER
Lower landing gear and block the trailer wheels. Raise the trailer until the tongue weight is removed from the truck. Then, unpin the Coupler handle and rotate to the open position to unlatch the jaws. If the jaws do not open, readjusting the landing gear may relieve pressure and allow them to open. Use the safety pin to lock the handle in the open position and when you are sure that the landing gear will support the trailer, move the truck forward to release the jaws from the kingpin. The jaws will always open when the pressure of the trailer is taken off the Coupler as the truck pulls away.

What makes that any different then most fifth wheel hitches ?? I believe you mentioned on a previous post the B&W is not like any other hitch.

At this point we have to believe the B&W is a good hitch, and I have no doubt that it isn't , but its like anything else its a mechanical device, and prone to problems .They are a popular hitch ,and they show up pretty consistent with issues of some sort, and we pretty much have the same members putting it on a pedestal above EVERY hitch made.

I raised my fifth wheel until I could see it start to separate from the hitch , pulled the handle ,and drove away. That was the Reese Signature 18K hitch, not once did I ever have a release problem pulling the handle to the open position, so unlike mine, I guess with the B&W everything has to be just right. The Superglide is another one that everything has to be perfect or you are not going to get it to release.

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Learjet wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

UNATTACHING TRAILER
...Use the safety pin to lock the handle in the open position and when you are sure that the landing gear will support the trailer, move the truck forward to release the jaws from the kingpin. The jaws will always open when the pressure of the trailer is taken off the Coupler as the truck pulls away.

yep, the way the cam is connected to the handle..I don't see how it wouldn't not release if the handle is pinned open. never, ever have I seen it not release when pinned open. If my truck rolls forward when I move the handle open...no need to pin....if the handle stays open...no need to pin...if the handle will not stay open...pin it...it is that easy.

Right on!!!

Absolutely!!

That's what I love about the B&W...if the arm is closed, it's a solid coupling. If the arm is open, the jaws will release. You just have to pin it open sometimes.

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Learjet wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

UNATTACHING TRAILER

Right on!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

UNATTACHING TRAILER

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

UNATTACHING TRAILER
Lower landing gear and block the trailer wheels. Raise the trailer until the tongue weight is removed from the truck. Then, unpin the Coupler handle and rotate to the open position to unlatch the jaws. If the jaws do not open, readjusting the landing gear may relieve pressure and allow them to open. Use the safety pin to lock the handle in the open position and when you are sure that the landing gear will support the trailer, move the truck forward to release the jaws from the kingpin. The jaws will always open when the pressure of the trailer is taken off the Coupler as the truck pulls away.

Wow , I lower the landing gear unlock the ball ,and raise the fifth wheel off the ball, and drive away. What was it someone said , easy peasy with the Andersen. No messing around trying to get the right load unloaded for it to release .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

UNATTACHING TRAILER
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD