cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Research by weight?

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, early stages of research here. Have narrowed what we are looking for based on TV (2016 Ford Explorer 5000/500). I have been researching hybrid and regular TT. I’m afraid I’m missing something because I keep hoping l will find this big database I can put in weights and beds needed. Any recommendations for all in one place research?
18 REPLIES 18

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
Alex from GA wrote:
It's not apples to apples but we just bought a 15' travel trailer to pull with our V8 Explorer. We used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and the mileage sucked, 10 mpg.

I only get 9.1-9.2 MPG with my V6 Explorer with our Wolf Pup 16BHS so you’re not doing bad at all 😉 (TT box is actually 18’)

How does your explorer tow the Wolf pup? Do you feel comfortable towing it? Thank you!

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Alex from GA wrote:
It's not apples to apples but we just bought a 15' travel trailer to pull with our V8 Explorer. We used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and the mileage sucked, 10 mpg.

I only get 9.1-9.2 MPG with my V6 Explorer with our Wolf Pup 16BHS so you’re not doing bad at all 😉 (TT box is actually 18’)
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Alex_from_GA
Explorer
Explorer
It's not apples to apples but we just bought a 15' travel trailer to pull with our V8 Explorer. It has a bathroom with tub/shower but not enough beds for you. The table is a full bed with a couch for another bed but there's only 2 of us. We used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and the mileage sucked, 10 mpg. Good luck finding what will suit you and isn't too heavy. In our younger days we camped in a 12' slide-in camper with our 2 children and had a ball.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Boomerweps wrote:
I went through a similar search in order haul the two grandkids and a TT with our 2008 Explorer until we can afford a stronger TV.

Only things in the TV for camping was me, SWMBO, our 90# lab.

And presumably those 2 aforementioned grandkids. It ALL counts. 😉

Just edited my post for clarity while you were replying. No kids on the weighed trip, we were meeting them at the CG
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
I went through a similar search in order haul the two grandkids and a TT with our 2008 Explorer until we can afford a stronger TV.

Only things in the TV for camping was me, SWMBO, our 90# lab.

And presumably those 2 aforementioned grandkids. It ALL counts. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I went through a similar search in order to camp with two grandkids and a TT with our 2008 Explorer until we can afford a stronger TV.
We like the wolf pup BHS16. With an UWR of 3097#, GTWR of 3877#, factory assumed Tongue weight of 377# (haven't weighed that yet). CAT scale weight loaded for a 3 day camp on axle with WDH 3680#, without WDH 3600# (WDH pushes weight to steering axle and trailer axle).
IF you can find this size trailer with a double axle, get that. My TT axle is rated at 3500# so I went on a rampage removing all the things I can do without. With the above weights, I also was 20# from my TV drive axle GWR WITh the WDH. Without the WDH, I was 120# OVER the axle GWR. Only things in the TV for camping was me, SWMBO, our 90# lab. I have also cleaned out a LOT of stuff I routinely kept in the TV in my weight loss program.
SWMBO's only real complaint about the TT (AFTER I changed out the mattress) is the side to side sleeping master bed since whoever is in front has to crawl over the other for night time BR visits. I did NOT want a Murphy bed but for getting in and out of bed in this size TT, it does make some sense. We did not want to have to move or convert our bed every day.

Anyways, there are a LOT more weight limit considerations that you (& I) did not allow for. I strongly recommend you take your Explorer to a scale with what you expect to have in the TV while towing and everyone aboard. Add about 75# to your numbers on the rear axle for a WDH, then you will have an idea of what your remaining axle and payload capacities are. Seems a little over the top at first but after towing, I should have done this to start with.

And the scary part is the weighing was done on our third outing with the TT. First time we had a load of wood in the back of the Explorer, no kids, about 15 miles one way. 2nd time, no wood, one 145# grandson added, 70 miles one way, half interstates. We were way overloaded! 2nd and 3rd trips were camping with our daughter's family who have their own TT.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Bunkhouse models will be heavier than a comparable length hybrid.
And one with a GVWR under 5000lbs will be rare.

Well that's not the case at all, that Apex 185BH I referenced earlier is one such example that has 2 bunk beds, GVWR 3800 lbs. Many manufacturers offer similar models.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
If you dont want to make up sofas or dinettes, the only trailers that have 3 beds, are hybrids with 3 bunk ends or bunkhouse models.

Bunkhouse models will be heavier than a comparable length hybrid.
And one with a GVWR under 5000lbs will be rare.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
D2Forever wrote:
Sound Guy we are looking for a queen bed for us (doesn’t matter configuration) and separate beds for each child (different genders).

Looking is good for sure but at the end of the day I have little doubt you'll come to the realization that something along the lines of that single axle Apex 185BH is probably your best bet considering the limitations of your TV. Most manufacturers offer their own variations but a shorter trailer like this with an east-west double or if you're lucky a north-south queen, along with twin bunk beds, is probably where you'll end up.

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your guidance. We are happy with the Explorer and feel we have many nice options for our needs and comfort. Sound Guy we are looking for a queen bed for us (doesn’t matter configuration) and separate beds for each child (different genders). I don’t wish to make up beds nightly and prefer a bathroom as who wants to take little ones to the bath house at 2 am. I’m not looking for a tow calculator. This is helpful though and I will use it when we narrow the field. I’m really just asking if there is an all in one database to search <3500, 3 beds. I’m guessing not so I will keep driving through the campground writing down names and looking up makes/models/floorplans/weights. Thank you!

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forget the idea of pulling any sort of hard sided travel trailer with your Ford Explorer. You are not going to pull anything big enough for 4 people. You need to replace the Explorer or look at pop up tent campers.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Most manufacturers will have their own versions but the Coachmen Apex 185BH is an example of a single axle travel trailer with bunk beds you could pull with your Explorer. Certainly these trailers are not as fully featured as heavier dual axle models but considering your Explorer's limitations this is about as much as you can expect.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
D2Forever wrote:
I’m trying to narrow a list to weight, then 3 beds. Not sleeps 4, because I don’t want to make up dinettes and sofas nightly. We know we will be on the light side and are ok with that. Anyone know of a place to do as I mentioned?

As I already said no weight calculator will factor in the number of beds. You can get what you want - i.e. 3 beds - in a triple bed hybrid like the Coachmen Freedom Express 21TQX but it's just too heavy for your Explorer. Your challenge would be to find something similar but much lighter, a problem to be sure if you insist on 3 separate beds. FWIW, you might want to clarify what you mean by "3 beds" - does that mean one double or queen for mom & dad and 2 other separate beds for kids because of their gender? Does the main bed have to be a queen walk around or can it be an east-west double? If so, there are plenty of light weight single axle trailers out there with double bunk beds for 2 kids, if that's all that you require, that weigh in well under 3000 lbs dry.

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. We are aware of our limitations with the Explorer, and are satisfied with the choices we have. I just want to be sure I’m aware of all options. Even the brand sites make it difficult. Say you go to Forest River, you have to click on each make, then model, all floor plans. I’m trying to narrow a list to weight, then 3 beds. Not sleeps 4, because I don’t want to make up dinettes and sofas nightly. We know we will be on the light side and are ok with that. Anyone know of a place to do as I mentioned?