cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bedside shelves

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Our 5er came stock with no shelves near the bed. I'd like to install a shelf on each side near the head of the bed, but I worry about how to attach the shelves to the wall. Would liquid nails work? Any other ideas?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
11 REPLIES 11

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
In response to a pm asking for further explanation of my small note (above) regarding a shelf that slides under the mattress, I decided to do a quick prototype.

Note, first, my wife's going to complain loudly that I took a photo of an unmade bed (just got back from a week long fishing trip and bedding is in the laundry)

Second, this is just a scrap of wood I had laying around. Choose one as nice as you would like, and dimensions to suit you.

Pre-assembly

Installed

Stowed
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
someone recently posted (here?) that they slid a nice board between the mattress and support, and then slid it out a bit to become a nightstand ... somewhat like a cutting board drawer in the kitchen. This will be my next addition.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
I had an old "over the sink" shelf that we used in our last trailer. It was two pieces held together with metal dowels. I took it apart and put 1" corner braces on the bottom of them and used 1/2 inch screws to mount them to the wall. they've there 4 years now.

John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wait, this is not an impossible project at all -- you certainly can fasten light objects into the wall paneling with screws. It just has to be done carefully. It does not take a lot of skill. It does require that you drill with great care before installing the wall anchors.

But don't just stick the drill in and hope for the best, like I did the first time I used wall anchors.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
You all bring up great points. I'm going to abandon this project. Sometimes leaving well enough alone is the best option. Thanks guys.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used screws -- but first I sink a spiral plastic anchor into the wall and then screw into that. You pre-drill a small hole for the anchor. Don't drill too deeply, though. (Don't ask . . . . )
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think TakingThe5th above has the right answer. I would not trust Liquid Nails alone for the simple reason that, in most cases, the bond will not be to the wood wall but to the paper covering over the wood wall. You don't know how strong that paper or vinyl covering is glued to the wall behind it. I would attach the ledger using small plastic wall anchors and screws through pre-drilled holes in the ledger along with glue.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider using a mini โ€œLedger Boardโ€ approach using a nicely finished piece of wood, then attach the shelf to the top of the ledger, and maybe add support brackets/wood. If the shelving doesnโ€™t work out for you, remove only the shelf and brackets and leave the relatively attractive ledger board intact, perhaps for some other use.

The ledger board will help distribute the load. Anchor it the best way possible.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
"No More Nails" will do the trick! I never put holes in the walls if I can avoid it!
2010 Suncruiser

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I installed a shelf in mine but instead of shelf brackets I used a piano hinge so that I could spread the load instead of concentrating it. The walls are 1/4 inch plywood/particle board, so not the strongest anchor.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I use screws. If you ever remove the shelf would you rather see a couple screw holes or a blob of liquid nails?
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.