cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solved: stereo audio problem

tomndella
Explorer
Explorer
I was having an intermittent audio problem, with one speaker cutting in and out. I thought the problem would turn out to be a flaky crimp connector on the speaker wires, and spent over an hour checking all of these connections to no avail. I finally decided that the stereo itself was bad and put everything back. Later, I took out the LCD TV to find its model number (to program my remote) and the audio began cutting in and out. A close look at the audio cables with RCA connectors (the ones with the four ears and center pin) revealed the problem: the RV manufacturer used the absolute cheapest cables possible. The ears easily bent under light pressure and weren't making good contact. Replacing these cables solved the problem. And I escaped the irritation and embarrassment of spending $200 on a new stereo only to find out that wasn't the problem.
2 REPLIES 2

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
RCA connectors are good, if attached properly. The center connection must be soldered, and is done easily if one knows how. If not, the result many times is a small blob on the end and a flaky connection. NASA taught me how, many years ago.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Good diagnostic skills!
FWIW, I'm an audio nut so I do crazy stuff like making my own cables. I buy the ends online, typically at Markertek. I use these Rean connectors, lately. If you can solder, you could replace the connectors you have with another more substantial connector.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton