cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp Hosting

JerryandSusie
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are considering a camp host position for the 2019 camping season. We've never done it before so any tips would be welcome. Would like to hear from folks that have actually done it. Would you do it again or not?
2017 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummings Diesel
2017 31' Keystone Cougar 5th wheel
Honda 2000W Gen.
Our Yorkie kids: Scooter & Daisy
16 REPLIES 16

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
We have camp hosted two Summers now each in beautiful spots. Each time a five month commitment. After about three months I am ready to go home. By the end of the fifth month we are so ready to go. We like going to a different place each Summer. A pleasant way to spend our Summer. Don't think we would volunteer though. There are hundreds of these jobs out there. Yes, we will do it again.
Betsy

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
jnharley wrote:
Was not a positive experience for us. We were supposed to be campground hosts but when we showed up, they were not expecting us along with several other couples. Edited to add that this was at Georgia Veteranโ€™s State Park in Georgia.

Not sure when you were hosting there, but GA Veteran's is now run by a private corporation. Lots of changes happened as the corporation that runs the lodge and restaurants took over the campground too. It is not the same park it was years ago. I grew up spending most of my summer in the park, when it was a true state park. Not a corporate run resort. I have camped there since it became a resort and probably won't go back, unless I am attending an event at resort (family wedding, class reunion or something similar) and not in summer.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:

I've done it, back in the summer of 2012 at a Kansas State Park. I enjoyed it, there's not much to tell about tips really. You usually need to be fairly versed in computer technology because most of the systems are online reservations these days.

Computer work depends on the park. We never had to use a computer. Of course, we didn't work in the office of the campgrounds. There are many different kinds of gigs.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
allen8106 wrote:
JerryandSusie wrote:
The wife and I are considering a camp host position for the 2019 camping season. We've never done it before so any tips would be welcome. Would like to hear from folks that have actually done it. Would you do it again or not?

I've done it, back in the summer of 2012 at a Kansas State Park. I enjoyed it, there's not much to tell about tips really. You usually need to be fairly versed in computer technology because most of the systems are online reservations these days.

I wouldn't do it if you are working full time. My wife and I were working full time the year we did it. I worked 1st shift and she worked 3rd shift. It was difficult to do work work and all. If I was retired I would do it again.

DW and I did three summers for a total 8.5 months I will explains the .5 at the end. This was while working full time me I.T. and here a graveyard shift, it worked and we did enjoy it but no real days off.
Then six months before retirement I took a two month sabbatical, spent time
In Ireland with GD, DD and SIL then came back and hosted for a month. This was on the Oregon Coast three hours from work, WOW so much better! Now that I am retired we do it full time.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
JerryandSusie wrote:

I wouldn't do it if you are working full time. My wife and I were working full time the year we did it. I worked 1st shift and she worked 3rd shift. It was difficult to do work work and all. If I was retired I would do it again.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Been hosting for the month of May at the same NFS campground for 4 years now. (My bride only lets me out of the house for a month.)

It all depends on what tasks you are willing to undertake and what your supervisors expect you to do. As always/everywhere a good boss makes all the difference in the world.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
jnharley wrote:
Was not a positive experience for us. We were supposed to be campground hosts but when we showed up, they were not expecting us along with several other couples. We ended up cleaning 3 public bathrooms (a state public road ran through the state park) in the state park and we saw things we will not be able to forget. Two successive head rangers were fired while we were there and there were several major thefts-one was a 4 wheeler belonging to maintenance-while we were there. And our fellow volunteers were a racist group that we wanted nothing to do with. We stuck out our obligation since we were basically not supervised but would never do this again.

Please list state and park name. Here on the Oregon State Park system in 7 years we never ever had that kind of experiences.

I agree with Donn, we are just finishing our first year of full time park hosting for Oregon. Previous to that we did three summers of two to four months while still working full time. We also took a month off from work about six months before retirement too see what it was like to JUST host (that was January on the Oregon Coast) we loved it.
We are still young I am 67 DW 62 and still healthily, so we go for some more physically demanding host assignments, that come with great sites.
We also love meeting and greeting campers, and helping them enjoy their time in our parks.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had both good and bad experiences over 7 years. The worst was a private run campground as well as a concessionaire run forestry park. The best was volunteering with the forest service campgrounds and a city nature park. We have had paying jobs and volunteer for site/utilities. The volunteer position as hosts was more enjoyable.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We had all good experiences. I'd recommend you thoroughly check the duties required and if they're agreeable to you then go for it. It's not like it's going to be an ongoing 'job'. You can certainly last for a one-time thing. Just don't take it and quit mid-season. That really puts a bind on the park and on the other volunteers who have to cover for you.

We've gotten the majority of ours by actually being in the park at the time of applying or know of the park so there were no surprises on either end. Sometimes it's an advantage for the park employee to meet you in person. Some parks might sound nice but the immediate area may be too remote for you - not enough to do on your off time.

We've done national parks, state parks and fish hatcheries. National parks won't require you to clean the bathrooms. They have paid employees to do it. We also found that true of some state parks. Ask if that's not something you want to do.... and yes, it can definitely be eye-opening. Some people are absolute slobs.

Some parks also have interpretative positions which are fun - like working with children or leading hikes. We gave lighthouse tours in Oregon and Michigan. Some would have you working in the office or the entry booth. Ourselves, we wouldn't want one that all you did was sit at the campsite. We like to 'do' things.

You won't or shouldn't be responsible for any kind of enforcement of rules. That should be the rangers job. Ask.

Volunteering is very rewarding if you do it for the right reasons - helping out our parks which is much needed. If you're only doing it for a free campsite you'll find a lot to complain about and you won't enjoy it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
our camp host experience was very good. we (my DH mostly)hosted the campground at Chadron State Park, NE, a lovely little jewel in the northwest area of NE. DH's duties were to help manage the check in and check out by walking the campground and seeing that everyone had registered and had their registration slip on display. He was also there when anyone complained about noise, etc. (only one time in three years of hosting). He also checked the bathrooms to see if there was tp and to check cleanliness...but not having to do any cleaning himself.
also in the 3 years, there was one case of theft and trashing the main bathroom and shower house..by a local group and one case of a family with lots of kids coming in to use the shower house for their whole family.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
jnharley wrote:
Was not a positive experience for us. We were supposed to be campground hosts but when we showed up, they were not expecting us along with several other couples. We ended up cleaning 3 public bathrooms (a state public road ran through the state park) in the state park and we saw things we will not be able to forget. Two successive head rangers were fired while we were there and there were several major thefts-one was a 4 wheeler belonging to maintenance-while we were there. And our fellow volunteers were a racist group that we wanted nothing to do with. We stuck out our obligation since we were basically not supervised but would never do this again.

Please list state and park name. Here on the Oregon State Park system in 7 years we never ever had that kind of experiences.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Was not a positive experience for us. We were supposed to be campground hosts but when we showed up, they were not expecting us along with several other couples. We ended up cleaning 3 public bathrooms (a state public road ran through the state park) in the state park and we saw things we will not be able to forget. Two successive head rangers were fired while we were there and there were several major thefts-one was a 4 wheeler belonging to maintenance-while we were there. And our fellow volunteers were a racist group that we wanted nothing to do with. We stuck out our obligation since we were basically not supervised but would never do this again. Edited to add that this was at Georgia Veteranโ€™s State Park in Georgia.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

JerryandSusie
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
You should post this in the workcamp section.

Thanks FT........I missed that forum......scrolled right by it...lol
2017 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummings Diesel
2017 31' Keystone Cougar 5th wheel
Honda 2000W Gen.
Our Yorkie kids: Scooter & Daisy