cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How easy to take car in Boston

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at going to Boston in the mid September/October time frame. Is the area easy to drive? Big question, how about parking? Is it pet friendly? Our 2 pets are small and would be in stroller. Any advice would be appreciated. Jan
LUVRVN
22 REPLIES 22

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
keepmotoring wrote:
bukhrn, doggy daycare could work. Did you find something in the Boston area or near the campground you chose?
We stay out away from the crowds, we camped at Hanscom AFB, the doggy daycare was fairly close, sorry I don't remember the name of it.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
If the bus can navigate the streets then other vehicles should be able to also.

These are experienced bus drivers who know the streets, not someone "from away" that could very easily get lost. Apples and oranges. Suffice it to say Bostonians are NOT patient drivers. Take PT of some sort-it will be far less stressful for you.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
keepmotoring wrote:
bukhrn, doggy daycare could work. Did you find something in the Boston area or near the campground you chose?

If you stay at Normandy Farms in Foxboro, they offer a day kennel and dog walking are services available. It's also a short distance from the commuter rail into Boston.

It's a little pricey, but it's truly an RV resort.

Normandy Farms
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
LUVRVN

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
moebedick, love the Worcester area. Thanks for your reply
LUVRVN

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
Currently , the Mass Pike (rt90) into Boston is down to one or two lanes due to bridge construction. The easiest way in during commuter hours is by parachute. If you travel on off hours,you can easily,though slowly , get in and out of the city. Park under the common or at the Pru garage. Boston is a walking city. You can get to anywhere in the city on foot. Parking,while not inexpensive,is plentiful and worth it. Beautiful,historic city.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Why are you going? If sightseeing take a bus tour instead. Boston is a very old town with many streets made for horses and too narrow for cars.

If the bus can navigate the streets then other vehicles should be able to also.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Besides the issue of pets on transit, there are probably few if any historic tourist places that allow pets inside. Can't swear to this as we didn't take ours with us, we left him in a doggy daycare for the day.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
In MA the road signs for a turn are AT the turn point. If you see a turn sign TURN NOW. I have often turned on the road pass where I should have.

Boston does have a very good public subway system. I think you can park at the park and ride on 128 south (?) of the turnpike and take the subway into town. But it has been 20 years since I was in Boston.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We flew into Logan then rented a car for South Harbor Maine, via Portsmouth. It was an easy drive years ago, and pretty. Don't miss the JFK library- if bet you could get permission to park there long term too. Also look at www.boondockerswelcome.com - I'm sure you'd find someone with driveway space for your rig, or at least a friendly local rv contact to help you around the city. x2 to catch the area attractive of the beaten path: Walden pond, Salem history, Cheers bar site, etc.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby, 10-4 on that!!!
LUVRVN

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boston is not, in any stretch of the imagination, an easy place to drive. Drivers are probably more aggressive there than anywhere I've been.

One rule I learned early on, and was reinforced in my visit last year... Don't make eye contact. You make eye contact with someone trying to merge, or jump in front of you, or turn into a round-about, then you've just acknowledged their presence, and they will go.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
Dick B, thanks for your reply. Crowe, hadn't thought of that and that is a great suggestion. Both are small, under 10 pounds, and put the stroller in the trunk of cab, uber.
LUVRVN

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
However, would prefer to take dogs with us instead of leaving them in rv

How far outside the city are you staying? You may find a car service, cab or Uber that's willing to allow the dogs to come with you.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]