cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

America The Beautiful Pass

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Well I will be 62 this week. I believe I will head down and get my pass. Last year it was $10, now it’s $80. Just my luck but it’s still a bargain.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".
23 REPLIES 23

aviator
Explorer
Explorer
Only the real card is accepted. Photos and plastic sided photos are not allowed at Corps of Engineers. Maybe you let your neighbor use our real card??? Most activities require a photo ID as stated on the back of the card for use.
aviator

The Iphone photos are of the back and front of the cards. At Sam's the phone photo is accepted to pick up meds at the pharmacy, the code on the back of the card (which has the barcode) works at both the pharmacy and at the self checkout. I don't even carry the Sam's card and the cards for some other stores. My billfold is much thinner. My wife does the same thing. The Costco we went to Sat. we used the same procedure, but she also had to show her driver's license as they prefer the real card.

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator wrote:
We have our Senior Passes on our phones as we do our Kroger card, Publix, etc, but some parks/attractions require the actual card; therefore we carry it with us.

How about some more details? Is this just a photo of the cards or what?
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

We have our Senior Passes on our phones as we do our Kroger card, Publix, etc, but some parks/attractions require the actual card; therefore we carry it with us.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Before the increase we bought two additional passes. They are good for life but only if you don't lose the card. Now we have spares.
This is the part I don't understand, If you lose your card, you must pay $80 for a new one, however, if your card is destroyed, as usually happens with most plastic cards in my wallet, you can get a new card for free, If you have a part of the old card, either way they have your info entered into the system, why can't you get a free replacement either way?

They don't keep records on this, otherwise how could I buy two without triggering an alert?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Before the increase we bought two additional passes. They are good for life but only if you don't lose the card. Now we have spares.
This is the part I don't understand, If you lose your card, you must pay $80 for a new one, however, if your card is destroyed, as usually happens with most plastic cards in my wallet, you can get a new card for free, If you have a part of the old card, either way they have your info entered into the system, why can't you get a free replacement either way?

I don't believe your information is in any 'system'. When we volunteered in a national park and issued the cards, only handwritten information was entered in a log book. Now with computers I'm sure it's different but I don't know about all the info in a computer base.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
beemerphile1 wrote:
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I turned 62 four days before the price changed. So being the cheap person that I am, I sent my application in and paid the $10 handling fee for mail order. So, I paid $20 for the pass. My wife and I stop at every NP we get close to and we use our pass. We also drop $10 or $20 into the voluntary donation box at every park. We are not rich but we like to help maintain the parks. I am disappointed that people want to use the parks but don't want to help maintain them. Maybe that is why we have so few people show up at our local state parks on clean up days.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Sad that we Americans have to pay to get into national parks that 'we-the-people' taxpayers already own. There's enuf foreigner visitors that can pick up the whole tab.

That's an awful way of thinking. If visitors want to experience the national parks and expect things to be there this is a very small payment and it doesn't begin to cover the cost to keep a park open for all those visitors. Repairs and maintenance are so far backlogged they'll never catch up. Millions of visitors really impact the parks. Would it be better that they be closed down and only walk-ins allowed? Back to wilderness? Having volunteered in national parks was a real eye-opener of behind-the-scenes.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
I have the Senior pass for National parks. Sounds like it is the same thing?? Was 10 dollars now 80

Yes. The one I got in April, 2018 for $80 says, "AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass LIFETIME SENIOR" on the front and on the back at the top it says, "$80 Senior - Lifetime, Lifetime Pass for U.S. Citizen or permanent resident 62 years or older."
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
That pass is a very small price to pay to help maintain those beautiful parks. I got the Senior America the Beautiful Pass when it was still $10, but would have gladly paid the $80 for it.

And don't forget COE parks. We frequently go to a fairly close by COE park with 50 FHU, large concrete patios, very nice oversize tables, fire ring, separate grill, and 100' or more to nearest neighbor for $12/night (half off the regular $24/night) using that pass.

They are OUR parks, and it is OUR responsibility to maintain them. Foreign visitors entrance fees are NOT sufficient to keep them going. Even if they were, it is not their responsibility. The nice thing is Americans are known for a willingness to share the beauty of our country. And, the topic of this thread is the nice perk senior citizens receive. 🙂

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Sad that we Americans have to pay to get into national parks that 'we-the-people' taxpayers already own. There's enuf foreigner visitors that can pick up the whole tab.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE