cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thor Gemini

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
Guess it’s really a Class B+. Has anyone had any experience with this model? Are ALL Thors awful, or are there some that are acceptable?
6 REPLIES 6

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our 2012 Thor Four Winds Class C 24C for five years and have really enjoyed it.

The floor plan is nice and I don't even mind the bed in the corner, I've learned how to work with it. We have had the inevitable leak in the cabover section, but that got fixed okay and insurance even paid most of it. The cabinets are all still together as are the drawers. Nothing is falling apart.

The biggest headache is now the A/C. It works great (I call the MH the big fridge), but is leaking inside the coach...DH is still trying to correct that (some drain is plugged somewhere). The ceiling looks okay as does the roof. And there's an area around the rear left light set up that is kind of scary...it's delaminating and that needs to be checked ASAP.

Taking care of this stuff...in fact this camper is vital. It's a second home and a nice tax deduction (just like the S&B house) and too expensive (and fun) to neglect.

ETA: Obviously I'm only addressing an opinion on Thors, which so far has been a good company to deal with. Also the dealer is important. The outfit where we bought our camper has become a ...gulp...Camping World dealership...ugh. But many of the same people in the service and parts dept. are still there. So far so good. Now there are tons of salespersons all over the place and lots of stuff to sell...not nearly the customers though...

CC38EL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had one for almost a year. Traded it for something bigger, not because of quality issues. It was the only Thor we have owned and we've owned a few over the years.

The Gemini 23TR for the most part was economical (14-16mpg) and fun to drive. We were the second owners and if there were any issues the first owner took care of them. But to our knowledge, he didn't have any. Very European styling, good fit and finish, and the Transit HD was excellent. The one issue we had concerned the terrible design of the air conditioning. It's a ducted a/c but the transition from fan to duct was very small. Very poor cooling to the front of the unit. With the down vent open, the a/c was very effective. But not in the ducted position.

Some things were kinda weird....like the sewer connection needed to be turned down to use. Not too bad if you're under 55, but kinda a pain in the butt for those of use with arthritic knees. Also the skylight was nice, but as noted, it just cooks you in Florida in the summer.

In the end, it was just a nice idea for a couple (us) who wanted to continue RVing without a big 5th Wheel or diesel pusher and didn't want to tow a car. But the small bath area and combo dinette/living room were just too small.

I've read about the horror stories with Thor, but we're not one of them. We have a good dealer and our contact with Thor was always positive.

Just our opinion.
Jim
2019 Coachmen Mirada Select 37LS

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Came with in a hair of buying one (Thor), but opted for a Phoenix Cruiser (2017 model 2100). No regrets so far. But feel lucky as the company since changed hands and heard some not so good comments.
But on the other hand, I just had an interior light go out and couldn't figure out how to change the bulb. Called the company and asked. They told me it's easier to replace the entire unit and sent me one. A year and a half old and they still stand behind all their units. Can't be all bad!
We're happy we made this decision.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pulled the plug on the Gemini due to the large acrylic skylight and lack of rear ladder with the rear slideout bed.
Owners were complaining about the 13,500 and 15,000 a/c units not being able to overcome the heat that the skylight throws off inside the rv. People said they bake muffins under it.
Some have done a 50 amp upgrade in order to add a 2nd a/c unit in a 24 ft unit. That's just a crazy expense IMO.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Thor Vegas that has driven me crazy with small issues. No pride in the workmanship. After getting the small issues taken care of, I love it. From what i hear and read they are all about the same.
Dennis Hoppert

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
My experiences with Thor models is that they are pretty bad, there is a reason that they are usually priced a lot lower than other models in the industry. " you get what you pay for" i have never owned one but had to fix plenty of them
Proud father of a US Marine