cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2006 CRV - Which wiring kit did you use. Thanks

LewTeam
Explorer
Explorer
Need someone who wired a 2006 crv as a towed vehicle. Which wiring kit did you use?
9 REPLIES 9

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
LewTeam, I set mine up in 2008. At that time the CRV was a very popular toad. There were a number of YouTubes and other explanations as to how to set up the towing wiring. Try looking through YouTube, and also IRV2 to find more info.

I had a commercial RV place do mine, and they were very familiar with wiring a CRV. The toughest part was sneaking the wires from front of the CRV to the back, under the door sill and up to the lights.

It was a great toad. Never had a dead battery, single plug connect/disconnect. Mine was a manual tranny, too, making towing even easier.

LewTeam
Explorer
Explorer
OB, yes, I am using my crv's factory lighting, and, yes, 2006 does have amber turn signal lights. But every thing I have read tells me that since I will have installed the Brake Lite Relay switch, my factory brake lights will also blink in accordance to the motorhome's combined signal. In other words, the amber lights will not come into play at all, and the CRV's brake lights will act like a combined brake light/turn signal system. I will certainly double check my owner's manual to see if there is anything in there I might have missed. As always, I really appreciate your input. How in the world would we Nomadic types make it without each other's help. I'll let you know how it all comes out. Take care.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
LewTeam wrote:
OBGraham, thanks for your response. You have raised a question that I haven't considered before. I am wiring a fuse bypass with a toggle for the radio which is hot and causes a battery drain when the switch is put in accessory. I also think that on a 2006 crv there is at least one accessory outlet that is also hot when switch is on, but, that would not cause a battery drain unless something is plugged in to the accessory outlet. Beyond that, why would I need a hot wire to the battery? Wouldn't the signal wires from the motorhome light the brake lights/turn signals and tail lights? Also, remember, I am using diodes to keep the MH signals from interfering with my regular crv wiring.

PS: Oh, one other thing I just realized I had omitted. I will be using the Ready Brute Elite towbar with the ReadyBrake supplemental braking system, which is totally mechanical and requires no power.

Your coaches light signals, Rt turn, Lf turn, brake, running, etc. are all powering your toads tail lights, however you wired them, not your toads battery. I'm not familiar with an '06 version of the CRV, just the '11 version. I followed the owners manual in prep instructions for towing and, on that version, I needed and installed a charge wire for the CRVs battery due to circuits being energized due to the fact that the Key was turned enough to unlock the steering but, also energized certain circuits. I was not about to twist myself into a pretzel trying to remove the fuse that they wanted you to remove in prep for towing. Ain't happening.

So, the charge wire was installed and, in all the time towing that CRV, for hours on end, we never, ever had a dead battery. Now, on yours, you'll have to see what YOUR owners manual says for towing and, be guided by their instructions. If you are supposed to pull a fuse and, have instead designed a cut out for that fuse, then that will work too. I'm assuming that since you state you're using diodes, that you're using the factory tail lights and bulbs as toad lights, correct? Do you have amber turn signals on an '06?
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

LewTeam
Explorer
Explorer
OBGraham, thanks for your response. You have raised a question that I haven't considered before. I am wiring a fuse bypass with a toggle for the radio which is hot and causes a battery drain when the switch is put in accessory. I also think that on a 2006 crv there is at least one accessory outlet that is also hot when switch is on, but, that would not cause a battery drain unless something is plugged in to the accessory outlet. Beyond that, why would I need a hot wire to the battery? Wouldn't the signal wires from the motorhome light the brake lights/turn signals and tail lights? Also, remember, I am using diodes to keep the MH signals from interfering with my regular crv wiring.

PS: Oh, one other thing I just realized I had omitted. I will be using the Ready Brute Elite towbar with the ReadyBrake supplemental braking system, which is totally mechanical and requires no power.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I did not want to tie into my CRV wiring so i did as the post right above.

I used the Blue Ox BX8869 kit from eBay.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my 2006 CRV for almost 40,000 miles. I used the Roadmaster setup and the Universal Tow Brake (evidently no longer around?)

The wiring into the 06 CRV was unique in toads because the rear light array has a spot with nothing in it. That's where we added the brake light for the tow assembly, keeping it separate from the CRV wiring. It all worked very well.

Also be sure to add a hot wire to the battery to keep it charged up while towing.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
LewTeam wrote:
Thanks, AVA. Been a difficult decision for me. I have decided to use the Roadmaster All-in-one with the 4 diodes setup. It will use the brake lights on my crv as my turn signals also. Since my brake lights will activate when the switch is off in my car, I will also wire a brake light relay switch that will keep my brake lights from coming on unless the car is running (in normal mode only, not while being towed). Wow, this is confusing. Basically, unless I wire the brake light relay, my normal brake light activation will override the signal from the motorhome.

I've been telling folks about this for decades and, some just don't get it that the toads brake lights are activated when the toads brake pedal is used for auxiliary brakes, ON SOME VEHICLES!!! It doesn't happen on all toads. And your thoughts of using a relay for that very situation is great.

But, on wiring your '06 CRV, that's a piece of cake too. On our '11 CRV, I did all the wiring for towing, as I've done on all our toads. I used some Radio Shack (now defunct) diodes that cost me a whopping $3.50 for four of them only, as usual, I only use two in my wiring.

I also used a " 2 wire to 3 wire" tail light converter.

Now, when I was done, my AMBER turn signals on the CRV worked as well as the regular brake lights. In other words, when someone was following us and we were towing, the CRVs tail lights acted the same EXACT WAY towing it, as they did when driving it. It was an easy job to do. If you'd like more info, please feel free to ask.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

LewTeam
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, AVA. Been a difficult decision for me. I have decided to use the Roadmaster All-in-one with the 4 diodes setup. It will use the brake lights on my crv as my turn signals also. Since my brake lights will activate when the switch is off in my car, I will also wire a brake light relay switch that will keep my brake lights from coming on unless the car is running (in normal mode only, not while being towed). Wow, this is confusing. Basically, unless I wire the brake light relay, my normal brake light activation will override the signal from the motorhome.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I used a Roadmaster wiring kit for my 03 CRV. I also installed the Roadmaster Invisibrake and some of the signal wiring is connected to it. You will need to remove a few interior panels to get to the wires.