cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you mind checking my numbers?

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
I have been following along for a week or so now. I appreciate your previous responses to my research post. Our TV is a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT V6 with a class III WDH. While a larger vehicle might be an option one day - it is not today. I have read the towing post, I have checked the towing calculator, and even downloaded a towing app. Frankly, the responses have me confused and scared to tow anything but a red radio flyer wagon!

GCWR is 9950 with classIII hitch
GVR is 6120
Payload is 1558
Estimating curb weight at 4500 (will confirm)
TWR is 5000
Hitch rating is 500
We all currently weight an estimated 520
We travel light - just came back from vacation and current gear is less than 250, but add in camping chairs, full cooler, rug, and maybe bikes - another 250?
Then there is tanks, etc.

Looking at Jayco Jay Feather 17XFD with 3415 dry weight (yes, got it, don't trust this - but you have to start somewhere!). GVWR 2500. Hitch weight 335. Payload 1085.

So based on my math I believe I am in a "safe towing zone" - but like I said - I am now confused and scared!

Is my interpretation clear?
7 REPLIES 7

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same vehicle as you, only with the Eco-Boost. I only tow a utility trailer with it. I agree w/ the others that you'll be marginal at best.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
That’s a great idea! Thank you

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
D2Forever wrote:
Our TV is a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT V6 with a class III WDH. While a larger vehicle might be an option one day - it is not today.

So based on my math I believe I am in a "safe towing zone" - but like I said - I am now confused and scared!

You have another option you may not have thought of.

Have both the TV and trailer totally empty for travel, load all the supplies and passengers in a second vehicle, maybe a rented one. Neighbours of mine have been doing this for years, while less than ideal, it beats unsafe or unable.

It also means the TV driver is not distracted by passenger chatter and likely more relaxed due to much improved and safer towing conditions.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Looks marginal with real world loading. Probably not over by a lot but you will definitely be up near the limits.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

D2Forever
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your very detailed response. I wasn’t sure what the frontal area limit meant (big sail, I get!). I feel overwhelmed by all the acronyms and will study your response. I apologize for the typo!

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I'll have a go at this.

I assume the trailer's GVWR is actually 4500 pounds, and 2500 pounds is a typo from somewhere; presumably it's not 915 pounds overweight when dry from the factory. I see that many sources online say 2500 pounds, but Jayco themselves say 4500 pounds and 4500 actually makes sense.

9950 GCWR - ca 4500 explorer curb weight = 5450 total explorer payload and trailer weight. The actual trailer weight would be a minimum of 4000 pounds (gear + trailer, not much if any water), and then additional payload in the explorer of a bit over 500 pounds for people, so you're under GCWR by about 900 pounds or so. Realistically I suspect there will be more stuff in the trailer and/or explorer, but there is also a little bit of wiggle room.

Trailer tongue weight ought to be right around 500 pounds, possibly slightly less (500 pounds would be 12.5% if the trailer weight is around 4000 pounds), or right near the limit of your hitch's rating. Total payload in the explorer would be 1020 pounds or so (tongue weight + people weight), under the approximately 1500 pound payload limit, and so about 500 pounds under GVWR. Since you have a weight distributing hitch, it should be possible to have the individual axle weights within their limits as well.

According to the Ford towing guide, they suggest a frontal area limit of 40 square feet for the explorer. ("Frontal Area is the total area in square feet that a moving vehicle and trailer exposes to air resistance. The chart shows the limitations that must be considered in selecting a vehicle/trailer combination. Exceeding these limitations may significantly reduce the performance of your towing vehicle.") This trailer would seem to be at least 50 square feet frontal area, and probably a little more.

In theory at least, you'd be within the weight limits, but there's not a whole lot of wiggle room and you're dragging a big sail behind a not especially beefy tow vehicle. I don't think it would be a very pleasant or generally satisfactory setup, particularly for a long trip or at highway speeds or with a headwind (and very much so if all three apply simultaneously). It's one thing to pull a heavy trailer a few miles around town at city speeds; it's quite another to attempt to cross the country at interstate speeds.

Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon, so a full fresh water tanks would add about 200 pounds, and the water heater maybe another 50 pounds (it's not clear to me if they include it in the fresh water capacity or not--often it is). It's generally safe to assume that the gray/black tanks and the fresh water tank will not simultaneously be full, since the general progression is for fresh water to be used and turn into gray or black water, which is then dumped and the fresh water refilled.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A 4000 pound loaded TT should have about 500 pounds of tongue weight. Right at your limit. Living on the limit isn’t fun. If you can’t change the TV, find a lighter TT.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad