cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Campground Advice for Maritime Provinces

allenm
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a 2 or 3 week camping trip to Canada's eastern provinces. We want to stay in all 3 - Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island. Looking for full hookup campground suggestions and any other tips for doing this. Never camped in Canada.
7 REPLIES 7

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Bayside RV Park on PEI - excellent north central island location.
Nova Scotia - Wayside RV park near Peggy's Cove and not far from Halifax. On Cape Breton, Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground.
New Brunswick - Fundy National Park, Fundy Headquarters.
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I can't recommend any FHU campgrounds. But if you're willing to slum it for a few days,I would highly recommend Fundy National Park and Cape Breton National Park.

Admin
Moved to RVing in Canada and Alaska for more information

Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net

dedmiston
I have nothing really useful to add except for some vivid childhood memories.

Our family made our first few coast-to-coast trips in dad's pickup truck in the late 60s / early 70s. We didn't have a camper or a shell, just foam pads, blankets, and sleeping bags.

I was around four or five the first time we drove from L.A. to Prince Edward Island. Dad told my brother and I to stay put until everyone was loaded onto the ferry (us boys rode in the back of the pickup). Once we were parked, dad said it was OK to climb out of the truck. For whatever reason, I had trouble climbing over the tailgate that time and I fell out and landed head first on the bumper of the car behind us. That was my first recollection of the terms "goose egg" or "knot" describing something on my head. My first experience on a ferry was limited to what I could see out of the non-swollen eye.

Once we got all set up at camp, dad took us on a walk along the beach. I had never seen a jellyfish before, but the low tide completely covered the entire beach with them. The entire beach looked like it was covered by raw eggs, as far as you could see. So much for swimming.

Later in the afternoon we saw a little tanker truck driving through the campground spraying something everywhere. We asked around to find out what it was, and we were told that "it's for the bugs". We didn't know what this meant until later on.

To young me, it seemed like the sun would never go down, but it eventually turned to dusk and we learned what "the bugs" were: "mosquitos the size of birds!" Whatever they had sprayed seemed to only energize the bugs and they were ready to party. We were no strangers to mosquitos on that trip, but those huge ones were more than we could take. Mom and Dad finally had enough and told us it was time to pack up. We loaded up and took refuge in the cab of the truck until we could catch the next ferry out of there in the morning.

The funny thing is that all those memories are kind of a bummer, but we absolutely loved it there. We all spoke fondly of Prince Edward Island every time the topic came up for years and years, but that was one of the few places we ever had to wave the white flag and retreat from.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We always enjoyed Brudenall area of PEI. Fundy Park, NS is another good location.
Check out Hopewell Rocks in N.B. You might want to stay in the area so you can see the difference between high tide and low tide. There are hundreds of c.g.'s to choose from depending on your interests. Of course you should stop at the tourist info booth when you cross into Canada. It is probably too late for you to contact the provincial tourist offices before your trip (assuming you are coming this year) - would have been a good idea to do this earlier and have time to really plan your itinerary. Lots to see in and around Halifax NS.

Another good tip, when going to PEI you only pay when you leave the island.
Depending on your RV, it might be advantageous to take the ferry over from NB and return via the bridge to NS. The bridge has a flat fee for rv's - the ferry you pay by the foot.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We visited New Brunswick and Nova Scotia back in 2008. Since you haven't received much in the way of response, here are the campgrounds we stayed at back then.

Oak Bay Campground - A short distance from the border crossing at Calais/St. Stephen

Century Farm Campground

Fundy National park

Ponderosa Pines Campground - Don't miss the Fundy tides at Hopewell Rocks!

Loch Lomond RV Park

Whidden Park Campground

MacLeod's Beach Campsite

Hideaway Campground

Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground

Bras d'Or lakes Campground

Louisborg Motorhome RV Park - Don't miss Fortress Louisborg!

Digby Campground
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

avan
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I'd check in to see if I could help but you've only given two instructive pieces of information - you want FU and you are looking at the Maritimes. I think I'd be wasting my time.

Do you have kids that will want kiddie activities/pool? Size/type of rig? Do you have a proposed route (the "Maritimes" covers a huge area)? What exactly floats your (RV) boat? The Maritimes are a very popular tourist destination including for campers. There are hundreds and hundreds of cgs there meeting the FU requirement.
www.putt10.net