cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F-150 HDPP towing 37 ft TT ** 1,300 miles later**

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
2018 F150 3.5 EB, 4x4,XLT, S.Crew, 6.5ft bed, HDPP.

Payload: 2,470lbs, 1,320lbs hitch ratings.
Towing ratings:11,500lbs.

Trailer: 37ft, 8,400lbs dry/9,900lbs max, 1075lbs tongue.

The trailer had a half full freshwater tank and most of the items that I plan to leave in it permanently. The heaviest single item I might add to the truck is a girlfriend, and she is pretty fit. I would anticipate an extra 500lbs added pounds to both truck and trailer max.

I got the B.O. hitch setup, with the truck squatting 2" in the rear and raised 1/2" higher up front, so the truck actually sits level hooked up.

The weather conditions were dry with a 10-15 mph breeze.

Got up on I-70 eastbound and merged without effort, and before I knew it, I was flowing with traffic at 70 mph (Goodyear Endurance trailer tires). The trailer did not get pushed out or sucked in by passing cars or big rigs, not even when a tandem truck came barreling past me.

I prefer to drive 65 mph, because when I drove 70 mph, big rigs seemed hesitant to pass, but passed more often at 65 mph.

As the trucks passed, I was bracing for that pull/push that so many keep proclaiming I will suffer.

I did feel the trailer back there, but it was just more bouncing when hitting the overpass joints versus when not towing, and the rear wasn't as stiff-legged, and had more up and down movement versus when empty. I hear that Bilstein improve both town and non towing ride...next year project.

The steering wheel felt a bit lighter than not towing, but it was still accurate and didn't need anymore corrections than not towing.

I drove 75 mph just to see how the trailer would respond, and I did feel more movement back there, but never anything that made me feel swaying was occurring, and probably just me not used to how the trailer feels while towing.

I drove for several hours on both I-75 and I-70, with some time spent in the middle lane so I can feel traffic on both sides, and everything felt stable without any wandering from side to side.

When traffic suddenly slowed, the setup slowed pretty well, and I didn't feel pushed, but that the trailer was holding up its end regarding to braking, and I tested that quite a few more times.

After a while,the nervous anticipation of being passed by big rigs faded away, and I came away feeling pretty confident. I even forgot it was breezy out...lol.
118 REPLIES 118

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Maury82 wrote:
I call my truck Fat Boy

And besides standing on the brakes, I'm still trying to visualize what kind of Grand Turismo moves you expect to make with a huge truck, especially with a trailer on back.

I'm not swerving for nothing, unless what I'm going to hit is likely to kill me, whether towing or not...no blind swerving.

We came around a corner last week, trailer in tow, near Ione WA...had to swerve to miss a cow.

**** happens, that's all I'm saying.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Maury82 wrote:
Smaller and lighter...negatives in relation to the load. Accelerates faster and stops quicker...ONLY WHEN EMPTY...put the same trailer behind my truck and I'll out accelerate AND out stop the F150 with better HP/torque, better gearing, bigger brakes, and better traction.

That "only when empty" is a huge benefit that you cannot appreciate. You cannot appreciate that 3.5 EB/10 speed and more agile handling...but that's you.

Not me.

My setup is comfortable enough that allows someone with no experience to gain confidence as the miles rolled by, and a big fat pot belly of a truck proved unnecessary.

As for braking, there is better braking to be had in the F150, and I'm upgrading to high performance slotted rotors and pads next year.

As a matter of fact, with that extra 4,000 lbs your truck is lugging around, with my 8,400lbs trailer, I have to see for myself that your truck can stop shorter than my truck hooked up to the same trailer.

I'm not saying your truck can't, but I'm not convinced that with performance rotors and pads on my HDPP, that your truck can stop my trailer shorter, or significantly shorter.

You definitely need those heavy duty brakes for that girth that the truck is lugging around.

And for the record, with my trailer being within specs for my truck, I perceived my truck versus the same trim 3/4 ton 6.2 gasses as trading one towing capablity over another one.

That 3/4 ton with that extra 2,000lbs weight is definitely more stable, but I'm not sure to what extent that extra stability goes, and to what degree. I'm comfortably stable.

The downside that the 3/4 have until those gassers are updated, are those inferior engine/transmissions, and they can't touch the HDPP EB when moving my trailer, especially up grades...that EB yanks my trailer around.

While I agree your F150 is far more car-like than the most of the HD trucks, you probably don't want to compare your F150's braking turning and acceleration to my specific big fat pot belly truck.

You might be disappointed in the results.

Since I've owned 3 Ecoboosts so far, I CAN and DO appreciate the speed and handling.

I've already installed slotted rotors and Hawk pads.
I've already tuned this truck. Just a hair under 6 seconds zero to 60 when empty at 9500lbs on 35" tires.
It came stock with a better turning radius than the longer wheelbase F150's.
Near Zero body roll in the corners with the new suspension kit from One Up Offroad.

See...you can modify the HD trucks to behave better just like you can the modify the F150 to tow better....to a point. It works both ways.

Oh, we call my truck "Big Booty Rooty"

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
I call my truck Fat Boy

And besides standing on the brakes, I'm still trying to visualize what kind of Grand Turismo moves you expect to make with a huge truck, especially with a trailer on back.

I'm not swerving for nothing, unless what I'm going to hit is likely to kill me, whether towing or not...no blind swerving.

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Maury82 wrote:
Then maybe you'll have some real perspective and can appreciate what some of these folks are saying.

I lurked for over a year trying to determine what truck I needed to tow my rig, and if I wanted a huge truck, there wouldn't have been any need to research tow vehicles and just buy the biggest truck possible...a no brainer.

I trust my judgement and was willing to put my money on Ford's specs much more than on your skewed perspectives towards huge trucks.

You would have never told me the truth about whether or not I could safely tow this trailer with a HDPP truck, regardless of being within specs, and as a matter of fact, you never mentioned the HDPP trucks, and not one person present that option, but kept doing exactly what you just did... fostering up all the doom and gloom possible.

You can't believe that drivers don't understand that when towing with lighter vehicles that we have to utilize a bit more caution with slower speed in certain situations and conditions, but because of that skewed bias for HD trucks, most so called "experienced" members never tell a newbie wanting to keep their less than HD vehicles about added precautions they may have to take.

If I ask whether I can safely tow a trailer if I'm within specs, don't try to tell me stories you had with your overmatched 1999 1/2 ton, and I don't want no one trying to tell me how happier I would be with a larger truck...just answer my question. Their is a reason why people like the benefits of smaller vehicles, even if we have to take added precautions in certain situations and conditions.

To those people,the precautions and compromises outweigh the downsides of having a huge truck.

I signed up knowing I won'tbe able to tow in higher winds than heavier trucks, but those precautions are much less of a compromise than the downside and extra precautions with having a heavier, bulkier, longer stopping distance, more cumbersome handling truck over amy HDPP truck when not towing.

My safety margin is greater than yours in the area I determined I wanted the most...when not towing.

I can bite the bullet of the downsides of towing with my HDPP versus the downsides of of having a HD truck when not towing...I pick my poison, and you pick yours.

You guys have great knowledge regarding RV'ing, but when it comes tow vehicles, I trust my zero experience and Ford specs much more than your tainted and bias perspectives regarding trucks.

Your bias against SUVs, 1/2 tons, etc is plain as day...I'll take my no experience over your tainted words.

I will tell you about whether I have or don't have enough truck. I bet it pains you that the HDPP can tow heavier TT, and drivers are happy with them.

Stick to petrifying those gullible newbies with all that doom and gloom...60mph wind?...down a steep mountain in a blizzard?...really!?!?!

And you think you can drop some knowledge at my feet?...try the next newbie.

Lol! You crack me up. Do you really think you can control the weather, or wildlife, or other idiot drivers while your towing by taking precautions?
It's not doom and gloom, it's called experience, and as you've said... you have ZERO to draw from.

What you call a 'skewed bias', we call experience. Folks on here give their real world experiences for others to draw from. What you choose to take from it is up to you. There is no grand conspiracy trying to keep you from towing that trailer with whatever truck you want. We honestly don't care that much one way or another.

Your the one that seems to be biased...calling the larger trucks 'potbellied' and such. I don't recall saying anything negative about the F150, I'm actually a huge fan of the 3.5 ecoboost versions. I only said that for ME and my experiences it wasn't enough truck for the longer travel trailers. I'm sure there are folks that would think the same thing about my truck based on some of the things I haul with it.

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Threebigfords wrote:
Just last week on our way back from Banff on the 28th of August we saw a 37' trailer laying on it's side blocking two of the Westbound lanes as we came down the Coquihalla from the summit. The tow vehicle was a 2011-2016 F350 CCLB SRW diesel, heavily damaged, sitting on a rollback. Weather was clear and sunny.

Respectfully, what does this have to do with anything? Do you have any clue WHY that big heavy truck rolled? I doubt it, or else you would have added that into your statement. If anything, you have just proven that driver ability and driving technique are equally as important as having the correct vehicle.

I agree that when towing bigger/heavier tow vehicles are better (to a point), but the OP is within his numbers. Unless you are making monthly payments and paying for a portion of his fuel...why do you care?

My point was that these longer travel trailers can flip even the heavier trucks, so why would I want to risk towing one at the ragged edge of a half ton's ratings? As for the cause...who knows, I wasn't in the drivers seat.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I still donโ€™t get the half tons being a handful to tow with. I pulled 32ft TT GVWR 7,700 lbs with my 1997 F150 and it did perfectly fine. The WD was set up perfect and load was balanced fine and it towed beautifully. Especially after I got a good proportional brake controller. I aired my P rated tires up to the Max PSI and had a good time towing.

I did upgrade to a 99 F350 CC LB DUALLY with the same trailer but that was because we wanted to put a golf cart in the bed and tow at the same time. Plus I got a crew cab for the boys.

Different towing experience? I guess...nothing drastic. Both pulled the trailer well. The F350 V10 felt a little underpowered with the 3.73 gears and it didnโ€™t handle as well in the tight stuff (maneuverability) as it was a much longer truck.

Evasive maneuvers were not even close. The F150 outhandled the F350 2-1 by the seat o the pants meter. It steered quicker, responded faster with a lot less body roll.

While I agree that for particular heavy loads a HD truck is preferred. There is Nothing wrong with a half ton truck towing within in its ratings...even if the trailer is long. I can just imagine how good the new trucks will tow as they have much more power and many more gears in the transmission than my old 97.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Because the big problem with dealing with the public is the public does crazy things. I never had a problem towing my 7k tt with my 2002 F150. Straight as an arrow and never any sway. But when you are dealing with individuals vying for the next Darwin award all bets are off. Same trailer with my F250 was just as stable but I could accelerate much faster.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still donโ€™t get the half tons being a handful to tow with. I pulled 32ft TT GVWR 7,700 lbs with my 1997 F150 and it did perfectly fine. The WD was set up perfect and load was balanced fine and it towed beautifully. Especially after I got a good proportional brake controller. I aired my P rated tires up to the Max PSI and had a good time towing.

I did upgrade to a 99 F350 CC LB DUALLY with the same trailer but that was because we wanted to put a golf cart in the bed and tow at the same time. Plus I got a crew cab for the boys.

Different towing experience? I guess...nothing drastic. Both pulled the trailer well. The F350 V10 felt a little underpowered with the 3.73 gears and it didnโ€™t handle as well in the tight stuff (maneuverability) as it was a much longer truck.

Evasive maneuvers were not even close. The F150 outhandled the F350 2-1 by the seat o the pants meter. It steered quicker, responded faster with a lot less body roll.

While I agree that for particular heavy loads a HD truck is preferred. There is Nothing wrong with a half ton truck towing within in its ratings...even if the trailer is long. I can just imagine how good the new trucks will tow as they have much more power and many more gears in the transmission than my old 97.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
My wife has never towed any of our truck trailer combo's. One of the previous setups would've been a nightmare for her if she needed to tow in an emergency.
2010 F150 Max Tow + Heartland Northtrail 26LRSS @31' 7300 lbs. It was a handful to tow. Moved up to a 12 Ram CTD and it was very easy to tow.
Current Setup 2018 Ram 2500 + a 28' 5h wheel @9300 lbs is a joy to tow. Whether in the curvy mountain sections or down a long boring stretch of freeway with winds, it's always very easy to tow. My wife would have a much easier time towing the last setup in an emergency.
Point is, could someone who has never towed before be able to tow your current setup with out problems. And I'm not talking about backing into a tight spot or things like that. But could they get in and get it back home or at least to somewhere necessary? If yes then the setup is proper. If it would be too dangerous then the setup is not balanced.
Probably not a real good barometer for how some setups handle, but it's the gauge I use. If you're always feeling like you're needing to stay constantly on notice when towing then you're probably near the edge.

LMAO.... You sound like one those DRW guys who try's to perform a sales job that you need a DRW to pull a pop up even though the OP never reported having to stay on notice, but actually the opposite.

Thanks for the laugh...LOL
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
One of the previous setups would've been a nightmare for her if she needed to tow in an emergency.
2010 F150 Max Tow + Heartland Northtrail 26LRSS @31' 7300 lbs. It was a handful to tow.

I bet it was a handful, especially a truck with an unknown payload, unknown towing ratings and gearing... I wouldn't touched that trailer with that truck.

You are braver than me. There is no way I'm going to get on the road with a setup that is a handful...no way Josรฉ!!!

Plain and simple, you just didn't have enough truck...hard not to improve on your setup.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
spoon059 wrote:
Threebigfords wrote:
Just last week on our way back from Banff on the 28th of August we saw a 37' trailer laying on it's side blocking two of the Westbound lanes as we came down the Coquihalla from the summit. The tow vehicle was a 2011-2016 F350 CCLB SRW diesel, heavily damaged, sitting on a rollback. Weather was clear and sunny.

Respectfully, what does this have to do with anything? Do you have any clue WHY that big heavy truck rolled? I doubt it, or else you would have added that into your statement. If anything, you have just proven that driver ability and driving technique are equally as important as having the correct vehicle.

I agree that when towing bigger/heavier tow vehicles are better (to a point), but the OP is within his numbers. Unless you are making monthly payments and paying for a portion of his fuel...why do you care?

Plus it shoots down your own "bigger truck" theory you so proudly posted about, 3bigfords.
These tow vehicle threads are so entertaining, rvnet should charge admission!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
My wife has never towed any of our truck trailer combo's. One of the previous setups would've been a nightmare for her if she needed to tow in an emergency.
2010 F150 Max Tow + Heartland Northtrail 26LRSS @31' 7300 lbs. It was a handful to tow. Moved up to a 12 Ram CTD and it was very easy to tow.
Current Setup 2018 Ram 2500 + a 28' 5h wheel @9300 lbs is a joy to tow. Whether in the curvy mountain sections or down a long boring stretch of freeway with winds, it's always very easy to tow. My wife would have a much easier time towing the last setup in an emergency.
Point is, could someone who has never towed before be able to tow your current setup with out problems. And I'm not talking about backing into a tight spot or things like that. But could they get in and get it back home or at least to somewhere necessary? If yes then the setup is proper. If it would be too dangerous then the setup is not balanced.
Probably not a real good barometer for how some setups handle, but it's the gauge I use. If you're always feeling like you're needing to stay constantly on notice when towing then you're probably near the edge.

If it would be too dangerous then the setup is not balanced.

Not married, and my girlfriend drives a Hyundai Elantra, and she is constantly talking on the phone, and so distracted that she misses turns, scraping her wheels against the curb, and people are constantly blowing at her when the light turns green...so heck no!!

And plus, she hugs the the left portion of her lane, and often crossing over that she constantly crowd drivers on her left, and got pulled over because a cop though she was drinking and driving.

I wouldn't trust her driving my truck without the trailer.

In addition, she couldn't lash up a Blue Ox anyway, and if I had an emergency, I'd have my setup towed to a campground and just pay until I can travel...she can catch a flight.

If a person can't manage my setup, they would likely be in trouble towing much of anything else with decent length.

And what make you feel if my setup was dangerous to tow that I would want to tow it?...I'm no daredevil out here towing.

I'm not going to purchase a TV so I can drive in hurricane winds, earthquakes, icy roads on the North Pole, or down a mountain at 80mph.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want a setup that feels marginal and fragile in less than idea conditions either. Slowing down in adverse conditions is a small price to pay for all the extra benefits the HDPP deliver over a heavier truck, and that includes the diesel 1 ton ... the HDPP was the best overall option for me that I've seen yet.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:

It is not a camper but I am towing over 11,000lbs with my 2016 F150 with max tow package. I have the LT tire option and keep a lot of tongue weight and it as stable as the F250 that it replaced and it has a lot more power. I would expect that towing 7300lbs with proper weight distribution and hitch would not be a challenge. On the other hand, I have seen a C3500 backwards in the ditch in front of my house with half that much trailer that did not have nearly enough tongue weight.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
Smaller and lighter...negatives in relation to the load. Accelerates faster and stops quicker...ONLY WHEN EMPTY...put the same trailer behind my truck and I'll out accelerate AND out stop the F150 with better HP/torque, better gearing, bigger brakes, and better traction.

That "only when empty" is a huge benefit that you cannot appreciate. You cannot appreciate that 3.5 EB/10 speed and more agile handling...but that's you.

Not me.

My setup is comfortable enough that allows someone with no experience to gain confidence as the miles rolled by, and a big fat pot belly of a truck proved unnecessary.

As for braking, there is better braking to be had in the F150, and I'm upgrading to high performance slotted rotors and pads next year.

As a matter of fact, with that extra 4,000 lbs your truck is lugging around, with my 8,400lbs trailer, I have to see for myself that your truck can stop shorter than my truck hooked up to the same trailer.

I'm not saying your truck can't, but I'm not convinced that with performance rotors and pads on my HDPP, that your truck can stop my trailer shorter, or significantly shorter.

You definitely need those heavy duty brakes for that girth that the truck is lugging around.

And for the record, with my trailer being within specs for my truck, I perceived my truck versus the same trim 3/4 ton 6.2 gasses as trading one towing capablity over another one.

That 3/4 ton with that extra 2,000lbs weight is definitely more stable, but I'm not sure to what extent that extra stability goes, and to what degree. I'm comfortably stable.

The downside that the 3/4 have until those gassers are updated, are those inferior engine/transmissions, and they can't touch the HDPP EB when moving my trailer, especially up grades...that EB yanks my trailer around.