cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

city parking ordinane

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
Currently fighting my city to park a future travel trailer on my property. Speaking with alderman and the city planner, they showed me this ordinance language under Parking prohibited category.
Under this ordinance they pointed to this saying I might have a problem due to this. Under "prohibited Motor Vehicles and Equipment" it states "Shall mean commercial trucks and busses, (recreational motor vehicles over twenty-four (24') feet in length, "
My response was it's not a motor vehicle it's a travel trailer. they stated "oh" "i'll have to get back with you . Later stating they "interpreted" that statement to also mean all "campers" motor or otherwise.
They way I read it is "motor vehicles" not travel trailers right?
Any thoughts?
43 REPLIES 43

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Mr.Beebo wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:

First it is unsightly and lowers the value of the properties in the area (ask those who looks into buying new homes, an RV parked anywhere is to them sign of lax ordinance or HOA regulation implementation.

Some also let their RV as extra living room and this causes sanitary and fire hazards.

Now that is a whole lot of presumption.
A 1966 Terry sunk into the mud and covered in mold may be unsightly; not sure how a late model maintained RV on a pad lowers property values.
"Letting" or renting out your RV may be more common in California, but not common at all most anyplace else. How are sanitation and fire hazards an issue when a camper is occupied?
It absolutely lowers values. I am always looking at investment properties and if the neighborhood is full of junk I pass, regardless of the condition of the actual property. Pretty impossible to write laws that allow a pristine custom Prevost coach, yet excludes the rusty schoolie covered with a tarp the guy is going to refurbish as soon as his hunch-backed brother straightens up.

And ask a real estate agent.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
You would make a great defense attorney. Just have you client tell the jury "I am not guilty of murder. Yes, I shot the guy, but he bled to death by himself."

I truly laughed out loud at that.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jay Coe wrote:
Shhhh... I was just trying to make him feel dumb without the dreaded "personal attack"

Well you made the autocorrect and auto fill on this Samsung feel dumb, myself not so much......mission accomplished!

I present for your RVnet approval......The editing Police lol.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
Shhhh... I was just trying to make him feel dumb without the dreaded "personal attack"
Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Coe wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
The crux is whether the word "motor" is in the ordinance referring specifically to recreational vehicles. You have now posted the ordinance WITH the word "motor," and WITHOUT the word "motor." If the ordinance does NOT have the word "motor" referring to recreational vehicles, you are out of luck.

"motor vehicle"for all intensive purposes.

Bwahahahaha! I saw a TV show where someone got called out for saying that but I didn't think any "real" people thought that's what it is!

It's "for all INTENTS AND PURPOSES"!

You must not spend much time online. "Intensive purposes" is almost as common as "defiantly not". Or my own personal favorite, "could of".
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I was more willing to buy a property in a neighborhood with livestock, trailers, sheds, and the relative stuff that came with horses. I offered the sellers full price after taking a good look around.

I won't do that in a restrictive HOA -- because I can't do what I like with my own property.

There are 14 other property owners in my area. Nobody cares what color you paint your house. Everybody keeps their yards under control. It's fine if the tomatoes are out to the sidewalk- bonus snacks for anybody walking! Horses and goats on the loose are a problem-- they get closed in the nearest pasture, and the owners are called. Loose dogs get a ride to their homes.

Trailers of any description aren't an issue. At all. One neighbor has a gorgeous horse trailer + human compartment that rivals any 5th wheel I've seen. Another runs a landscaping company from his home.

It's all good.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
Does your trailer registration makes a distinction between motor vehicle and trailer designation?

Jay_Coe
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
The crux is whether the word "motor" is in the ordinance referring specifically to recreational vehicles. You have now posted the ordinance WITH the word "motor," and WITHOUT the word "motor." If the ordinance does NOT have the word "motor" referring to recreational vehicles, you are out of luck.

"motor vehicle"for all intensive purposes.

Bwahahahaha! I saw a TV show where someone got called out for saying that but I didn't think any "real" people thought that's what it is!

It's "for all INTENTS AND PURPOSES"!
Legal disclaimer: Trust me, I know everything!

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
My point was that maintaining an RV at your residence does not automatically decrease the value of the home.
Property values based on keeping an RV on your property is subjective.
The value of owning a corner lot or an in ground swimming pool is also subjective.
There are folks who will love the pool and others who will consider the upkeep and water bills a negative. Corner lot is a nice view or it means more traffic and trash.
A nice RV on site can imply the owners have means, travel, have diverse lifestyles; see it all is directed by the individual's viewpoint.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mr.Beebo wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:

First it is unsightly and lowers the value of the properties in the area (ask those who looks into buying new homes, an RV parked anywhere is to them sign of lax ordinance or HOA regulation implementation.

Some also let their RV as extra living room and this causes sanitary and fire hazards.

A 1966 Terry sunk into the mud and covered in mold may be unsightly; not sure how a late model maintained RV on a pad lowers property values.
"Letting" or renting out your RV may be more common in California, but not common at all most anyplace else. How are sanitation and fire hazards an issue when a camper is occupied?
It absolutely lowers values. I am always looking at investment properties and if the neighborhood is full of junk I pass, regardless of the condition of the actual property. Pretty impossible to write laws that allow a pristine custom Prevost coach, yet excludes the rusty schoolie covered with a tarp the guy is going to refurbish as soon as his hunch-backed brother straightens up.

Actually, it increases property values. When I was house hunting, I would not even look in a neighborhood that wouldn't allow me to park my TT on my property. :B

My point is, your assertion that it reduces property values is subjective. It may decrease YOUR idea of what the property is worth, but someone else's opinion may be different. I agree that junk sitting in the yard decreases property values, but that is a separate issue from your TT parked in your yard. I get lots of admirers wanting to see the Airstream parked behind the privacy fence at the rear of my driveway. I have yet to have a single negative comment, and I live 7 doors down from the city mayor.

One of the reasons that I looked in this neighborhood was that the neighbor 2 doors down from me had his 40ish foot fifth wheel parked in front of his garage. Nice rig. If the neighborhood has nice (spelled "expensive") RV's parked in prepared positions, it indicates to me that the neighborhood is somewhat affluent and will be well cared for.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Beebo wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
My sister does not live in an hoa but in a small subdivision. They have class a and the people on one side complained so they moved it to other side of the house. All was good until Down the street a cop has a boat and landscape trailer and someone called the town on him. So he has now become the problem and we believe hassled my sister with the town. So now they have to place it in the back yard, even though its a registered motor vehicle of the side of the original people who complained. The town officer said that he has to park his in a storage lot so should they.. Just ridiculous..
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
mobeewan wrote:
Bumper tow ain't got no motor. Stop reading into it what it doesn't say just because what you think it "might" mean.

Mobee..

Sorry you feel this way, BUT, YOU need to stop INTERPRETING IT YOUR "WAY".

YOUR "interpretation" is MOST LIKELY to be WRONG.

As Ralph has pointed out, PA (where I live) DOES INDEED REALLY ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT QUESTION, USE MOTORIZED RV TO INCLUDE TRAVEL TRAILERS AND 5TH WHEELS. So, in PA, the rules use ONE WORDING INTERCHANGEABLY.

In the case of states DMV definitions most if not all "states" will USE the definitions set forth by the FEDERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS.

The LOCAL jurisdictions (City, town, county) typically take definitions from their States own DMV rules and regulations when considering local ordinances.

Most city/town/counties WILL HAVE BUNCHES OF LAWYERS reviewing ordinances and regulations BEFORE they are enacted..

THE ONLY REAL WAY TO FIND OUT IF THE OP CAN PARK A RV TRAILER IS TO ASK THEIR OWN CITY/TOWN/COUNTY OFFICIALS.

Making up your own "rules" base on your own interpretation of "semantics" is a sure fire way to get yourself into hot water with your neighbors and local officials which REALLY have the "final say"..

Myself, I INTENTIONALLY found a RURAL place to buy and live, my land is zoned AGRICULTURAL which means I can park RVs on my land, cars on my land, I can mow it, or not, I can garden, or not, I can run a legit business on it, or not or leave it a trash heap like my neighbor across the street..

Unless my neighbor is running a drug ring, I don't care what they do or don't do.. That IS the way it should be..

But when you buy in a city or in a "plan" you sign away a lot of your own freedoms. It IS the "price" you pay to live there.