cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chevy engine service on Class C

TreeDetective
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know if getting work done on the 8 cyl gas engine is a problem. Will most Chevy dealers (or Ford in other cases) service Class C RV's or do you have to find a truck service center. I have a 24 ft 2014 Freedom Elite on a Chevy Express Van cut-away that has a check engine light on. Camping World said they don't do service for check engine lights and to take it to a Chevy dealer. I made an appointment at a dealer to see if they accommodate it.

Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, post in the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
7 REPLIES 7

TreeDetective
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone! The dealer service rep did give me an appointment and will look at the motorhome to decide if they can handle it. I hope they can and that I will be able to return to the dealer for any future service. This is something I can add to my "widow skills." Switched from a camper to the Class C when my husband passed so I could continue camping. I do love driving it.

Thanks also for the tips about going to Autozone or Napa to find out the cause of the check engine light.

Sorry to the moderator for posting in Help and Support! I thought I was in the Class C Forum. Will do better next time!

Moved from Forum Posting Help and Support

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
My Chevy Class C is smaller than yours. I take it to Chevy dealers for service, but only certain dealerships can handle it. Unbelievably, when I ask how wide or tall their service bay doors are, some of them do not know. Usually I end up at the commercial truck area. Once finally in there, they have always done good work including a check engine light issue while I was far from home last year.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an Autozone store nearby, they will scan the codes that is causing the CEL for free. Sometimes the repair is as simple as tightening the gas fill cap.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
My local Chevy dealer used to be able to take my 2014 Sunseeker. Then they installed giant ceiling fans in their shop and they hang too low. Generally if they have 12 foot tall doors, you'll be good to go with a Class C.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had no problem getting service at my local Chevy Dealer,but it is always a good thing to ask before you go.

As for the check engine light,you can get that checked free at you local Auto parts store,Napa,Auto Zone and the like.

I have a scan gauge that I can read the fault codes and clear them, then look it up.
It is really nice to know what the problem is before I take it any where to get it fixed. The last one I had I cleared and fixed the problem my self,It was a loose gas cap.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
TreeDetective wrote:
I made an appointment at a dealer to see if they accommodate it.

Did you ask when you made the appointment if they can handle your rig?
Some dealers don't work on them because their service bays are not large enough for RV's.