cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I just Get Lied To?

Cynphony
Explorer
Explorer
5 days ago I purchased a 2019 Thor Chateau. 24’ on a Mercedes Sprinter. The salesperson at La Mesa RV told me that these coaches no longer have to be level in order to keep the refrigerator running properly! He was emphatic about it, yet I can find nothing on the Internet to back this up.
I currently own a 2005 National Dolphin, so I’m not a newby to motor homes... but did this salesperson lie to me? I don’t take possession of it for two weeks, thankfully! Thanks in advance for any input!
35 REPLIES 35

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
I found that over the years I knew more than all but one of our salesmen. 8 rigs This little C that we bought does not have jacks and I have found that so far in 3 years I have never stacked more than 2 high I always level to the frige because even if the stick on levels we put on the sides and rear are level the frige may be set in a little off so I always level to it On these new friges the bubble doesn't need to be entirely in. Good luck.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
We ran the Dometic fridge in our 20014 Tioga for months parked in our driveway at a slight rear-down angle. It died, leaking ammonia refrigerant, replaced with a same size new Norcold fridge. Was told that modern absorption fridges are not as resistant to damage when off-level. Best to use bubble level in bottom and have rig near level for longest cooling unit life.You hear all kinds of opinions. A new fridge costs over $1K!

If it leaked ammonia, that failure was probably not due to operation out of level but rather due to general corrosion. Out-of-level operation generally leads to crystals forming and eventually blocking the flow of coolant, not to leaks forming that let the coolant out.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a carefully adjusted bubble level glued to the driver’s cup holder. Leveling usually is achieved by looking at the campsite as I drive in and perhaps moving over a couple of times. I’ve never had to go more than 2 pieces of plank high. More trouble in parking lots but easy to turn off the fridge while shopping. I choose to back in if necessary to get the dual wheels high because it is easier to raise the front wheels.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

fireflock
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know exactly what the salesperson said, but I think this is reasonable: Modern RV absorption fridges aren't as picky about level as older ones were. Things have changed.

How level is level? I think this advice is sound:
http://www.rvdoctor.com/2012/03/rv-refrigerator-relatively-level.html

Cynphony
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
We ran the Dometic fridge in our 20014 Tioga for months parked in our driveway at a slight rear-down angle. It died, leaking ammonia refrigerant, replaced with a same size new Norcold fridge. Was told that modern absorption fridges are not as resistant to damage when off-level. Best to use bubble level in bottom and have rig near level for longest cooling unit life.You hear all kinds of opinions. A new fridge costs over $1K!

Thanks for your reply! The salesperson lied to me, no doubt about it. I called him on it, and you should of heard him trying to talk his way out of it! Pathetic.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
As little as 5 minutes off level can send boiler temperatures skyrocketing.

At ARP seminars I have attended at FMCA Conventions, he has an absorption refrigerator cooling unit with a digital thermometer on it that displays on the screen.

He tilts the unit and you can watch as the temperature goes up. No sales hype-- you can see the affect of running out of level.

As many has said, the damage is cumulative. One "out of level" is not going to kill the unit.

But, we have been on many L O N G grades out west where you would not want the refrigerator to be running. The ARP controller automatically turns off and back on the refrigerator based on boiler temperature.

And, whether this was a "lie" or just an uninformed sales person, I have no idea.

But, your refrigerator owners manual is a much better source for how many degrees out of level will affect the cooling unit than any sales person.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
JumboJet wrote:
I have owned 10 different RVs - still have two. From real world experience, 20 minute ruination theory is wrong. I have been off-level on road sides, parked off level for a few days etc. I always try to get as level as possible, but sometimes you just can't do it.

20 minutes off-level is long enough to cause overheating

Overheating causes damage which is ACCUMULATIVE.
A little here, a little there...all adds up cause the crystals that are formed do NOT go back into solution. The metal fatigue does NOT go away or heal.
Time....accumulative damage.......until Ruination occurs.
Fact not theory
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
JumboJet wrote:
I have owned 10 different RVs - still have two. From real world experience, 20 minute ruination theory is wrong. I have been off-level on road sides, parked off level for a few days etc. I always try to get as level as possible, but sometimes you just can't do it.

It isn't wrong as I have seen otherwise and had to pay for it.
You probably were not off-level enough to do damage.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Well, I don't know about new campers and refrigerators being level, but one that has not changed.... if your camper is NOT level, your eggs will slide to one side of the pan on the stove top and your pancakes will be fat on one edge and very thin on the other! Strive for level so those eggs don't end up on the floor! And then.... you'll never have a problem with the refrigerator, regardless of what the salesman said.

We level so the bubble is completely between the lines. Yes, it enables the shower water to run out completely, we don't feel like we're needing to resort to our sea legs or constantly tilting. But really we prefer the fridge is able to work efficiently and for a long, long time.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Slide-outs also can have problems when you are out of level.

We used home-made board levelers for years but I bought the triple leveler blocks at the start of this summer’s two-month trip, and they worked very well.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed_Gee wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
Specs for Absorbtion refrigerators safe operation is up to three degrees off side to side, and six degrees front to back. This is pretty substantial off level, as far as comfort goes. If you use your wheelbase specs and the three degrees, you can figure how much your front ( or rear ) can be higher than the opposite end. (Assuming fridge is mounted with its sides facing forward and backward.). Simple Trigonometry. In my short RV with a 156” wheel base, one end of the RV can be 8” higher than the other and still be safe for the fridge.

Until gravity flow is disrupted/overheating occurs/crystals formed---plate out on tubing which disrupts gravity flow/overheating occurs/crystals formed--plate out etc etc

Damage is 'accumulative/permanent' and can happen in just 20 minutes of 'off level' operation
Think about that when you pull off on side of ramp, side of roadway, slanted lot etc.

The figures I cited are manufacturer's specifications.... refrigerator is designed to function normally within the limits I stated.

ARP Real Time monitoring device shows otherwise.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
Specs for Absorbtion refrigerators safe operation is up to three degrees off side to side, and six degrees front to back. This is pretty substantial off level, as far as comfort goes. If you use your wheelbase specs and the three degrees, you can figure how much your front ( or rear ) can be higher than the opposite end. (Assuming fridge is mounted with its sides facing forward and backward.). Simple Trigonometry. In my short RV with a 156” wheel base, one end of the RV can be 8” higher than the other and still be safe for the fridge.

Until gravity flow is disrupted/overheating occurs/crystals formed---plate out on tubing which disrupts gravity flow/overheating occurs/crystals formed--plate out etc etc

Damage is 'accumulative/permanent' and can happen in just 20 minutes of 'off level' operation
Think about that when you pull off on side of ramp, side of roadway, slanted lot etc.

The figures I cited are manufacturer's specifications.... refrigerator is designed to function normally within the limits I stated.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad