cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solo to Denver

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Having trouble getting this to post so trying this before adding all the text.
OK. That worked but it doesn't want to let me post the whole report so I'm going to try one day at a time.
Yahoo! It worked. So here we go ...

I learned I was to go for a week of training in Denver, Colorado, and decided to take a few days off at either end of the course and drive rather than fly. I would go out on my own then, after the course, my DH would fly out and weโ€™d travel home together. It was to be my longest solo trip yet. This was a while ago but better late posting this than never.

DAY 1
The day of my departure was overcast so I traveled under gray skies all the way to the I-155 bridge over the Mississippi River.

Once over the Mississippi River and in the Missouri boot heel I pulled off the road for a break. Yeah, there it is! Blue sky!

This area is part of the Mississippi River floodplain with rich soil supporting expansive fields of crops. I looked close at one field of gold I was unfamiliar with and was surprised to find it was rice.

Further down the road was a more familiar crop, soybeans.

Later I spied the unmistakable sight of a southern icon, a field of cotton ready to be harvested.

And where thereโ€™s cotton, there are cotton gins.

My destination for the night was Big Spring RV Park at Van Buren, MO, where I had my pick of sites alongside the Current River. The owner, John, is a laid-back guy who runs the place as much for enjoyment as for business. He rents tubes and will bus you upriver so you can float back down to the campground but I have yet to visit in the summer.

Continued ...
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads
19 REPLIES 19

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Great report as usual sis. Just wait until we retire and really have time to dilly dally along the way.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
New friends and "old" ... good to hear from all!

Exhaustipated - I've been doing the SE TC Gatherings every other year which would put the next one in 2020 but that's when I plan to retire. So I might do something in late 2019 instead. Love Smoky Bear CG but have also thought of trying someplace else. We'll see ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Phyllis,

What a great trip report you posted. Enjoyed following along your journey with you from the pics and narratives. I've been to Cheney State Park a few times camping and fishing and have had lots of fun there. Are you by any chance going to be putting on another Southeast Truck Camper Rally next year at Smokey Bear Campground near Gatlinburg, TN?

John & Phyliss
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Phyllis!
Great trip report! Enjoyed every bit of it. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences!

Bob & Cathy
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thank you very much. Very enjoyable narrative. You didn't miss a thing!

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your replies. It's neat to hear your stories and your words help give me the gumption to put these trip reports together :B
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice job! Some of those place look familiar.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Well done! Really enjoyed reading. Will be looking forward to the next installment.:)
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoyed the pics and stories with it so much. Thanks for sharing.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Great report. We're familiar with 2 of your stops. When our now 35 yr old daughter was an infant we stopped at a RV park on the Current River. The owners were so friendly and helpful that we left our daughter with the owners wife while we canoed down the river. The husband drove down and ferried us back to the campground. Great folks and a beautiful river. Probably something we wouldn't do these days though.
Also the fort is a great stop, especially if you're a history nut like me. I like to imagine the trading between the different cultures.
*I'm sending you a PM about your truck/camper rig.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Beyond awesome! :C

Thanks for sharing.

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent trip report, beautiful pics and interesting narrative, thank you for sharing!
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You have a way of sharing the beauty of America! Thank you for sharing
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s