cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garage without beds or couch

duggram
Explorer
Explorer
I currently full time in an ‘06 Raptor and I would like to consider a new toyhauler. But every new one I’ve looked at comes with those beds/couch in the garage that raise up to the ceiling. Nice for a crowd but I’m recently divorced and want the space rather than the accessories. Dealers tell me to just take them out. Then pay to keep them in storage? I like the looks of the Momentum trailers, but the specs say garage accessories are mandatory. I also want as large a garage as possible. If you have any suggestions on a make of toyhauler that doesn’t force you to buy accessories you don’t want, please let me know. Or maybe you have a different suggestion?
11 REPLIES 11

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I took out the couches in my Spartan and had a devil of a time selling it. I finally gave them to a family who was building a trailer. I was happy to be rid of them and they were happy to get them.

That and the rear patio steps. They were worthless to me and in the way. I found someone who bought them for $75. They happened to be on the route between 2 stops and I handed them off at a truck stop as I was passing through.

These things missing don't hurt the trade in value (may hurt private party resale, of course).

The last thing we sold was a set of theater seats and put a table/chairs in its place. Got decent money for those from a family in Orlando.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

RUFFSTUFF
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the answers you need have already been posted...
2014 KZ Inferno 3712T
2015 Ford F350 DRW Platinum 6.7L
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4L

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
duggram wrote:
I currently full time in an ‘06 Raptor and I would like to consider a new toyhauler. But every new one I’ve looked at comes with those beds/couch in the garage that raise up to the ceiling. Nice for a crowd but I’m recently divorced and want the space rather than the accessories. Dealers tell me to just take them out. Then pay to keep them in storage? I like the looks of the Momentum trailers, but the specs say garage accessories are mandatory. I also want as large a garage as possible. If you have any suggestions on a make of toyhauler that doesn’t force you to buy accessories you don’t want, please let me know. Or maybe you have a different suggestion?

As mentioned, they both raise to above 6.5-7 feet. I'm not telling you that what you want isn't a good idea, I'm just questioning why you would want hurt your resale value so badly for something that to me, seems out of the way. What are you going to use the space between 6.5' and the ceiling for? Do you have large cabinets or something that is so tall that it won't fit under both the couch and bed when they are raised to the ceiling?

99% of the people that are looking for toyhaulers are doing so BECAUSE of the additional living space and sleeping space they give while still allowing toys in the garage. So you're going to be significantly reducing your audience for resale if you don't have them available when that time comes. Good Luck in finding the solution that gives you want you want.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

socaladam
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the bed in the highest position or use the platform for extra storage.

The couches are a huge plus! I think you will find they are great for just hanging out in the garage with the patio deck setup and awning extended.

Awesome spot to sit down for a nice meal while enjoying the outdoors.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had both and I have to say having the couches is a big plus, the drop down Happijac bed no so much but it's out of the way and if I need it, it's there. When the toys are out you will increased your living space substantially.

And might be happily divorced now but future Mrs could be just around the corner and she could have 3 kids!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto everyone else, except, I'd probably leave the top bunk. As someone already mentioned, it's a nice spot to store stuff as it's sort of a "platform", at least in ours. You could take the mattress out and just put stuff up there and out of the way.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Y-Guy
See if the dealer would pay you some $ for the parts after they've removed them, they might be able to resell. There is always CraigsList or seeing if an RV salvage place will pay for them. If the floor plan is really what you want, it may be the price you need to pay... which is sad.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
they come out in 5 minutes with a couple pins and clips...maybe a bolt or 4. Rip out and leave in dealers lot, and tell them have a nice day.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me a small issue. I find it hard to believe if you order one they can't skip those items. Like the previous poster said the savings and price difference will be minimal.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Tell them you are happy to order it but if it shows up with beds in the back you won't pay. I bet when you pick it up, there are no beds in the back.

Now if you think you are going to get a couple thousand knocked off because you put in a special order...not likely.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
The bunks don't get in the way on our 380TH Momentum. I think they are at about 6ft 6" form the deck. They could even be used to put extra storage above if needed.
What toys are you thinking about putting in the garage? KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.