cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Food (MEAT, frozen) into canada

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
I've been to Canada a few times crossing at Calais-st.Stephen. Produce (veggie head) has always been an issue but I get used to it). They rarely seem interested in anything else I have...okay wine. Freezer has never had any interest.

Next year we will be bringing pooch with us. She is a very content raw fed girl and we will be bringing a truck fridge (extra small freezer) with us to house her frozen portioned food. Am I right or wrong in believing they won't care about this frozen meat? It won't be labeled in any way as I am trying to cram as much in as possible.

Yeah, she is spoiled but it costs just slightly more than pricey kibble.
16 REPLIES 16

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We stuff our motorhome full of groceries before we leave (even veggies) because to us things are very pricey up there and if they are not, we buy them.

Once I picked my garden veggies/washed and stuffed all that I could fit into motorhome refrigerator; it was packed to the gills with veggies. At the border crossing, they began asking questions and had not gotten to any food stuff. They asked do you have mace. I said, no. Hubby says YES. WHAT? It turns out he had mace for use on bike against ravaging dogs (he's been bit several times). All attention turned to that and we had to go in and surrender it..which we did. Then we were free to go with no further inspections and a refrigerator full of garden grown veggies. Yet I've had tomatoes and lemons taken away other times.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Our side of the border, in Michigan there are two Grocery stores, not cheap by our standards but still cheaper than in Canada and some items they cn't get up there or this was the case last time.
The parking lot at one was half or more Canadian plates. They were buying their groceries, for what must be a month from what we saw of some.
So why would they bother with anything still in packages that we would have in our refrigerator/freezers and pantries?
I do now, remember one time taking chicken not frozen from our Fifth Wheel.
We spent better part of a day trying to buy chicken and other meats and some staples in Canada. No Grocery stores and meat had to be bought from a Butcher.
Well let me back up we did find one small grocer/ butcher or vice versa. 7.50 cents for a scrawny whole chicken that still needed to be cut up and cleaned some more. the same chicken here would have been a dollar a half to two dollars.
We will be going back in our Mh, and in order to have a well stocked larder, I guess we will have to get a list of what is allowed.
Wife loves to shop. But I don't want to go grocery shopping a hundred miles from camp because we had to leave some of what we brought at the border.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
There's a competitor chain called Food Basics that's all over the place, too. It's pretty good for less expensive no frills products.
Price Chopper/Freshco is another discount chain. In Ontario, Canada. Other provinces have some of their own discount store chains.

Food Basics is part of the "Metro" group of companies. The No Frills stores are Loblaws/Weston, and the Price Chopper/Freshco are part of Sobeys/Empire limited group. Not that any of that matters to your dog. :B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
No frills stores are my best find in Canada but sparse and have not delved into them a great deal but the prices on things I've purchased were reasonable.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed. We've also brought some of those big spare rib racks back for the grill. Chicken drummies at $0.99/lb or less on sale, and their hot Italian sausages in the packages that look like Johnsonville's are great. More beef options would be good.
Good luck with the puppy chow.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Aldi's! yes...wish they carried a bit more selection but their prices are great!

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Totally hear you on the money saving thing. Also on not wanting to get hassled at the border.
Our stuff isn't cheap compared to your stuff, so a combination of USA bought/packaged/labelled, and some Canadian sourced might be your best bet.
We love Aldi and Albertson's (when we're near one) for chicken and sausages. Great deals on lots of other stuff, too.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
cooked kind of defeats the purpose. Will try for marked packages for the hard to find items and see how that goes along with purchases up in canada....pretty much no other choice unless I want to chance tossing a bunch of stuff.

The separate freezer is pretty obvious right inside the door where chair used to be so I know they will look. They always ask about veggies but never meat though....

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
What about cooked meat that is frozen?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Lol, yup I know Canada sells meat...just trying to save some money but that may not be possible. And I didn't want to have to do a dog shopping when I get there...they won't have everything she needs in one spot. Don't want any border events either though...

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
We sell raw meat here. Bones too. Your dog isn't the only one.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
It's all about the packaging. We bring back packaged meat from the US all the time, and it's never been challenged, because it's in the original packaging. Same for dairy, and frozen food, and canned food. If CBSA can look at it and see that it's been inspected by the FDA/USDA, it's probably OK. No labels, no entry.
I would call anyway to verify, but I think if you've cut up raw meat and put it in baggies to freeze, I'm pretty sure they'll reject or seize it, because they can't be sure of it's point of origin or whether it was ever government inspected.
Works the same way for us if we entered the US with unpackaged anything. They want to see packaging with CFIA or other provincial labels on whatever we have to verify it's been government inspected.

Another option would be to buy what you feed the pooch in Canada, if you can't get your prepared stuff in. That will work.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Actually it is human food given to pet...but I will try and get a person to talk to. Technically it is not pet grade food.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
You are probably right...will search for a phone number.
Donna