cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buying another pusher.

paulm
Explorer
Explorer
All the motorhomes I am seeing for sale are all electric with residential fridges.
We do a lot of boondocking and I think the coaches with the 2-way fridges that can use propane make boondocking easier.
I have owned 4 motorhomes and 3 airstream trailers over the years and they all had the 2-way fridges. do they make them any more? Please, I would like your thoughts on using an all-electric for boondocking. The coach that I really want to buy is all electric.
40 REPLIES 40

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 8000QD diesel onan inverter type generator that is variable speed. Normally it is pretty quiet but if we get 3 ACs running and it ramps up the throttle to max it can get obnoxious.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Gottahaveit
Any Generator running for more than an hour is ...well irritating. We boondock alot and Hubby runs ours more than any of our friends with residential fridges. Drives me crazy and it's my rig LOL. We have plenty of battery bank and solar, go figure.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
^^^ And its a darn quiet generator too. Unless you're standing next to it you probably wouldn't know it was running anyway.

We find that there's a world of difference between our present Onan 7.5 Quiet Diesel and our last 5.5 Generac. Even more so with an older 87 gasoline Onan.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Bruce_Brown
^^^ And its a darn quiet generator too. Unless you're standing next to it you probably wouldn't know it was running anyway.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
daveshoby wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
"I inspected a Travel Supreme last year that was all electric - no propane aboard. Hydro hot diesel burner for heat and hot water, electric cook top and oven, 12.5 kW Onan and 8 - CG2s with 2 - 2000 watt inverters. No boondocking in that bus."

That is a ridiculous statement. Why can't you boondock in that coach? It has everything needed to do so

except peace and quiet. I don't like listening to a 12.5 kW generator all day. And I'm sure my neighbors wouldn't either.

X2!!!

Guys, the generator doesn't have to run all day. Generally, two hours in the morning and two in the evening is plenty to keep the battery bank charged.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

daveshoby
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
"I inspected a Travel Supreme last year that was all electric - no propane aboard. Hydro hot diesel burner for heat and hot water, electric cook top and oven, 12.5 kW Onan and 8 - CG2s with 2 - 2000 watt inverters. No boondocking in that bus."

That is a ridiculous statement. Why can't you boondock in that coach? It has everything needed to do so

except peace and quiet. I don't like listening to a 12.5 kW generator all day. And I'm sure my neighbors wouldn't either.

X2!!!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
paulm wrote:
I think An outdoor portable gas cooker is the way to go. I never liked cooking the coach anyway.ha
I have a portable infrared grill and a two burner cook top to keep the smells out of the coach n
I agree. Our coach actually has a gas cooktop, but I use a portable outdoor induction cooktop because I hate the heat, moisture, and smells getting in the coach. If I was boondocking, I would have to get a portable gas.

paulm
Explorer
Explorer
I think An outdoor portable gas cooker is the way to go. I never liked cooking the coach anyway.ha
I have a portable infrared grill and a two burner cook top to keep the smells out of the coach n

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can run the genny for the range, but there is a boondock advantage to the gas range that goes beyond the refrigerator discussion. You can boondock a while on a residential fridge, but you would have to run a generator to cook on an all electric coach unless you had outside portable gas appliances.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
msturtz wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
That three amps of AC is 30A of DC to the inverter.
The fridge doesn’t run 24 hours a day and very little at night but that energy does need replaced.
Not a nay sayer, I wouldn’t hesitate to own an all electric coach, although I love gas cooktops.
Actually that brings up another downfall of electric many don't think about. Everyone focuses on the fridge, but the electric cooktop will zap those batteries fast so you have to carry a portable gas stove if you boondock.

This is very true! An induction cook top can use 1500 watts per burner! That is a massive load on the batteries.

I would have never thought a range would be powered from the inverter, just as the ac's aren't and we do have a genset for this, so needing it for the range, wouldn't be any different. Besides, anyone who boondocks and without a small generator on board for battery charging, needs to run it for some hours, each day, anyway and we usually choose dinner time for doing so and maybe mornings, as well.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
The fridge doesn’t run 24 hours a day and very little at night but that energy does need replaced.
Not a nay sayer, I wouldn’t hesitate to own an all electric coach, although I love gas cooktops.
Actually that brings up another downfall of electric many don't think about. Everyone focuses on the fridge, but the electric cooktop will zap those batteries fast so you have to carry a portable gas stove if you boondock.

This is very true! An induction cook top can use 1500 watts per burner! That is a massive load on the batteries.
FMCA member

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The new residential refers only use around 3 amps when running....very low power draw. All electric is the best way to go.
2014 American Eagle