Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: buying another pusher.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> buying another pusher.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/18 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2008 Monaco Dynasty was all electric with Aqua-Hot (diesel). I boon-docked with my group of friends in Quartzsite every January for 5-7 days for about 4 yrs. in a row.

I used the genny 2 hrs. in the morning and 2 hrs. in the evening as that was breakfast and dinner time (preparing food for the pot-luck).

Our genny would auto-start if needed but it never did with my 2 hr. AM and PM regimen. We had 8 house batteries, a 10K genny and one solar panel.

On our current coach we have 3 Lithium Ion batteries for house (replaces 8-10 AGM's) and I can go 11 hrs. before the genny kicks on. We have two refrigerators (Jenn-Air in the kitchen and a small one in the bay). The reason I know I can go 11 hrs. is that the electricity has gone out twice at my storage facility. [emoticon]
Of course that is with minimal loads. We do not have solar.

I never wanted propane on the coach, electric works perfectly for us.

Safe travels,
MM.

* This post was edited 08/08/18 07:51am by Mr.Mark *

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/18 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you would find that you either have to go back a few years, or get into an entry level to keep that LP fridge. I always thought the LP fridge was a "must have", but now I think there are many advantages to all electric coaches and smart use of the generator can probably extend your stay equivalent to or better than an LP coach.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

paulm

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

I think you would find that you either have to go back a few years or get into an entry level to keep that LP fridge. I always thought the LP fridge was a "must have", but now I think there are many advantages to all electric coaches and smart use of the generator can probably extend your stay equivalent to or better than an LP coach.

I have been convinced. the all electric is the way to go. My last coach was a brand new Monaco signature and even it had the 2-way fridge. I really appreciate all your comments and education. nice to hear from people who are doing it.
we are looking at 2012 up to 2015 and they all are all electric. our only choices are Tiffin, Newmar and Country Coach, coaches.

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/18 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You ever see one of those residential fridges that has Internet access and a TV screen on the front and all kinds of bells and whistles? One of those is cheaper than a two-way rv fridge! I just had to replace the guts of my two-way fridge and the total cost was close to $2000. Would have been a lot more if I had to replace the entire thing. I boondock too, but based on the repair costs, I'd have no problem going with an all electric rig and residential fridge next time.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport

msmith1199

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/18 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something else to consider if you're worried about running the big generator too much, is get a Honda 2000 watt generator. They are about $1000 and can be stored in the basement. That will keep the batteries charged while boondocking and is very easy on fuel. If all you're doing is charging batteries 7500 watts and burning a half gallon of fuel an hours is overkill.

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/18 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulm wrote:

Mile High wrote:

I think you would find that you either have to go back a few years or get into an entry level to keep that LP fridge. I always thought the LP fridge was a "must have", but now I think there are many advantages to all electric coaches and smart use of the generator can probably extend your stay equivalent to or better than an LP coach.

I have been convinced. the all electric is the way to go. My last coach was a brand new Monaco signature and even it had the 2-way fridge. I really appreciate all your comments and education. nice to hear from people who are doing it.
we are looking at 2012 up to 2015 and they all are all electric. our only choices are Tiffin, Newmar and Country Coach, coaches.

The newest Country Coach will be an 2009 as they closed up shop. Parts and service are still available.

Safe travels,
MM.

paulm

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/18 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most likely it will be a tiffin

Blaster Man

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/18 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new residential refers only use around 3 amps when running....very low power draw. All electric is the best way to go.

2014 American Eagle

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/18 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That three amps of AC is 30A of DC to the inverter.
The fridge doesn’t run 24 hours a day and very little at night but that energy does need replaced.
Not a nay sayer, I wouldn’t hesitate to own an all electric coach, although I love gas cooktops.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/18 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

That three amps of AC is 30A of DC to the inverter.
The fridge doesn’t run 24 hours a day and very little at night but that energy does need replaced.
Not a nay sayer, I wouldn’t hesitate to own an all electric coach, although I love gas cooktops.
Actually that brings up another downfall of electric many don't think about. Everyone focuses on the fridge, but the electric cooktop will zap those batteries fast so you have to carry a portable gas stove if you boondock.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> buying another pusher.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS