Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: buying another pusher.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> buying another pusher.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
msturtz

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/18 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

That three amps of AC is 30A of DC to the inverter.
The fridge doesn’t run 24 hours a day and very little at night but that energy does need replaced.
Not a nay sayer, I wouldn’t hesitate to own an all electric coach, although I love gas cooktops.
Actually that brings up another downfall of electric many don't think about. Everyone focuses on the fridge, but the electric cooktop will zap those batteries fast so you have to carry a portable gas stove if you boondock.

This is very true! An induction cook top can use 1500 watts per burner! That is a massive load on the batteries.

FMCA member

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/18 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msturtz wrote:

Mile High wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

That three amps of AC is 30A of DC to the inverter.
The fridge doesn’t run 24 hours a day and very little at night but that energy does need replaced.
Not a nay sayer, I wouldn’t hesitate to own an all electric coach, although I love gas cooktops.
Actually that brings up another downfall of electric many don't think about. Everyone focuses on the fridge, but the electric cooktop will zap those batteries fast so you have to carry a portable gas stove if you boondock.

This is very true! An induction cook top can use 1500 watts per burner! That is a massive load on the batteries.

I would have never thought a range would be powered from the inverter, just as the ac's aren't and we do have a genset for this, so needing it for the range, wouldn't be any different. Besides, anyone who boondocks and without a small generator on board for battery charging, needs to run it for some hours, each day, anyway and we usually choose dinner time for doing so and maybe mornings, as well.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/18 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes you can run the genny for the range, but there is a boondock advantage to the gas range that goes beyond the refrigerator discussion. You can boondock a while on a residential fridge, but you would have to run a generator to cook on an all electric coach unless you had outside portable gas appliances.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

paulm

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/18 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think An outdoor portable gas cooker is the way to go. I never liked cooking the coach anyway.ha
I have a portable infrared grill and a two burner cook top to keep the smells out of the coach n

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/18 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paulm wrote:

I think An outdoor portable gas cooker is the way to go. I never liked cooking the coach anyway.ha
I have a portable infrared grill and a two burner cook top to keep the smells out of the coach n
I agree. Our coach actually has a gas cooktop, but I use a portable outdoor induction cooktop because I hate the heat, moisture, and smells getting in the coach. If I was boondocking, I would have to get a portable gas.

daveshoby

Punta Gorda, FL

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/18 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

dons2346 wrote:

"I inspected a Travel Supreme last year that was all electric - no propane aboard. Hydro hot diesel burner for heat and hot water, electric cook top and oven, 12.5 kW Onan and 8 - CG2s with 2 - 2000 watt inverters. No boondocking in that bus."

That is a ridiculous statement. Why can't you boondock in that coach? It has everything needed to do so

except peace and quiet. I don't like listening to a 12.5 kW generator all day. And I'm sure my neighbors wouldn't either.

X2!!!

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/18 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daveshoby wrote:

jplante4 wrote:

dons2346 wrote:

"I inspected a Travel Supreme last year that was all electric - no propane aboard. Hydro hot diesel burner for heat and hot water, electric cook top and oven, 12.5 kW Onan and 8 - CG2s with 2 - 2000 watt inverters. No boondocking in that bus."

That is a ridiculous statement. Why can't you boondock in that coach? It has everything needed to do so

except peace and quiet. I don't like listening to a 12.5 kW generator all day. And I'm sure my neighbors wouldn't either.

X2!!!

Guys, the generator doesn't have to run all day. Generally, two hours in the morning and two in the evening is plenty to keep the battery bank charged.

Safe travels,
MM.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/18 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ And its a darn quiet generator too. Unless you're standing next to it you probably wouldn't know it was running anyway.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/18 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

^^^ And its a darn quiet generator too. Unless you're standing next to it you probably wouldn't know it was running anyway.

We find that there's a world of difference between our present Onan 7.5 Quiet Diesel and our last 5.5 Generac. Even more so with an older 87 gasoline Onan.

Gottahaveit

Stockton CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/18 11:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any Generator running for more than an hour is ...well irritating. We boondock alot and Hubby runs ours more than any of our friends with residential fridges. Drives me crazy and it's my rig LOL. We have plenty of battery bank and solar, go figure.

40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> buying another pusher.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.