cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with bad power

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
One solution is a voltage regulator. These are available in Mexico from ISBMex.

There are distributors in various parts of Mexico. This generally eliminates the need for a Voltage Protector, which costs about the same, although having both is a good idea. This unit is reliable & robust and it certainly gave me far more consistent power. The 4 KVA version is sufficient.

The problem is, you have to wire them up yourselves and you need to bring a couple of items down from the US. We are sourcing these for our Caravans and I have produced an instruction sheet on what you need to bring and how to wire them up. You may download it at

Regulator Hookup
12 REPLIES 12

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
For RV'ers the step-up - step-down booster buckers really are the best deal going.

Back in 1990 I found near the Phoenix airport a surplus dealer who had three beige steamer trunk size ferroresonant SOLA voltage adjusters. 270 lbs each. Out of the carton no instructions but all of the punch holes were in place. The surplus seller was adamant -- $400 each as is where is. Cash and carry.

Turns out they were top of the line +40% -40% line voltage correctors. I could only afford one. 168 volts going in? 120 out. 72 volts going in? 120 out.

But there's a glitch. Correction like this takes watts. 133 to be exact. 133 watts sitting there with 0.0 watts going out. 333 kWh over a 60 day billing cycle. And we are allowed 450 total in summer without going into excedente for another 150 hours then into DAC Data Alta Consumo which eventually reaches to above forty US cents US per kWh and applies to the entire CFE bill for months before automatically reverting to "normal".

I was crushed, the grand plan had a fatal flaw. For my in wall 5,000 BTU Gold Star I ended up with a Tor-Rey 2,000 watt unit just like described in this thread.

Need one in a strange city? Ask for the place that repairs refrigeration and well motors -- they'l have them in stock.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi snarley,

Is there more than one pot? Could you tell me where it is? (A picture would be wonderful).

snarley wrote:
This what I posted last spring -after the adjustment it really did give the 110 v we wanted . PM me if you want more info

snarley wrote:

Three of us bought these in Mazatlan and spliced them into our 30 amp extension cords. We also learned that here is a small single turn pot on the circuit board so we could adjust the switching points as ours seemed to switch about 108 rather than 110v. Otherwise , I can confirrn that when you add a heavy load at 115 v, the voltage drops for an instant and then boosts to 120. Highly recommend this for Mexican electrical systems.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

snarley
Explorer
Explorer
This what I posted last spring -after the adjustment it really did give the 110 v we wanted . PM me if you want more info

snarley wrote:

Three of us bought these in Mazatlan and spliced them into our 30 amp extension cords. We also learned that here is a small single turn pot on the circuit board so we could adjust the switching points as ours seemed to switch about 108 rather than 110v. Otherwise , I can confirrn that when you add a heavy load at 115 v, the voltage drops for an instant and then boosts to 120. Highly recommend this for Mexican electrical systems.

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
When did you have your mishap Tequila? I don't remember reading about it.
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
YIKES
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
neither can I. Still have a concussion, however, and a sore neck. And a working regulator. My inverter did not survive. They recoversd itbut it no longer works.

Talleyho69
Still can't believe you two walked away from that. Glad you did!

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I chose to mount a 30 amp female and 15 amp female on the Sola basic box. I added another female outlet on the input side of the SB. That allows me to monitor output voltage and input voltage on the SB.

It also allows me to add basic surge protection to the SB on either the input or output side.

That is the neatest way to go. My instructions are for caravan customers with little experience in wiring to wire one up enroute.

In answer to the other question I am not sure where the adjustment pots are.

Mine survived a serious accident(3 rollovers) and still works, albeit with a dent or 2.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work Tequila. Kudos!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I chose to mount a 30 amp female and 15 amp female on the Sola basic box. I added another female outlet on the input side of the SB. That allows me to monitor output voltage and input voltage on the SB.

It also allows me to add basic surge protection to the SB on either the input or output side.
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Tequila,

Nice article! Tripp-lite makes a power conditioner that can handle 2400 watts. Just about perfect for protecting an air conditioner. They say it maintains 120 volts and does buck and boost.

I have a sola basic unit.

I've been told there is a adjustment to allow the voltage set points for boost to be adjusted. Do you happen to know which "pot" it is on the circuit board?

Tequila wrote:
One solution is a voltage regulator. These are available in Mexico from ISBMex.

There are distributors in various parts of Mexico. This generally eliminates the need for a Voltage Protector, which costs about the same, although having both is a good idea. This unit is reliable & robust and it certainly gave me far more consistent power. The 4 KVA version is sufficient.

The problem is, you have to wire them up yourselves and you need to bring a couple of items down from the US. We are sourcing these for our Caravans and I have produced an instruction sheet on what you need to bring and how to wire them up. You may download it at

Regulator Hookup
Regards, Don

Talleyho69
We absolutely swore by ours when we were in the RV. We even found a number of places in the US where it was necessary, high end parks in San Diego specifically.

Fortunately we have great electric to our house. We were prepared to buy the BIG one and wire in the entire place.

If you travel in Mexico, they are a must have, and will pay for themselves in no time at all.