cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Short stops along the way - allowed where?

AnneM
Explorer
Explorer
I've been reading a lot about where you can and can't park overnight. Tons of info out there about that. But what about when you're on the road and want to stop to see a small attraction before getting on the road again?

We used to do that all the time when road tripping through the US with a car. We'd plan our day so that we'd be driving for 3 hours, stopping at some town to stroll around or maybe see a small museum, then drive for another two hours and do the same and finally drive for an additional couple of hours to our final destination for the night.

Now, with a car, you can park just about anywhere. Sure, sometimes we'd have to find a parking lot (paid) or metered parking in a big city. Other times, in small towns, it's often a matter of just pulling by the side of the road and park behind another vehicle standing there (as long as there are no signs telling you not to). Parking in a residential street was never an issue if we wanted to see people.

Looking at videos of some of those large RV's people drive around in makes me wonder. What do you do when you just want to stop for 1-2 hours and leave your rig while sightseeing? Do you always look for a Walmart/Costco etc? I don't recall seeing too many RV's or commercial trucks in the parking lots of shopping center. Pretty sure you can't just park in a residential street, right?

Or do you just plan ahead so that you move the big RV only from one campground to another and then do your sightseeing around with the tow vehicle or toad?
18 REPLIES 18

lily123456
Explorer
Explorer
Parking RVs in the center of the US is really a question.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
I used to live on a side street where it seemed to attract RV's to park in front of my house. For some reason, an unusually large number of them used to get flat tires.

Like I said, 99 percent!

If the RVs are parking illegally, call the police. Otherwise you belong in jail... scumbag!

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
troubledwaters wrote:
I used to live on a side street where it seemed to attract RV's to park in front of my house. For some reason, an unusually large number of them used to get flat tires.

I never thought of BRINGING crime and vandalism to one's own neighbourhood as a great way to make the place you live a BETTER place....

Of course in this age of HD dash cams that don't stop recording when the car is parked and a few folks arrested and facing charges and big fines / restitution orders would likely solve the problem fairly quickly.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on where you live. I live in Nevada which is 87% owned by the US Government. I know it is hard to imagine but we just pull over anywhere out of a town.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
IsraeliMom wrote:

So, my take from this discussion is -
1. If you can, avoid residential streets and park in parking lots.
2. If you must park on a street - make sure there are no signs saying you can't. It's best to ask a local if you see one and let them know you'll be moving soon.

I'll add one more: be prepared to walk a bit ๐Ÿ™‚

We did a LOT of sightseeing trips in our 28' Class C, usually without a toad. As others have said, if you look around, you'll find that unused corner of a church lot/a closed business/an open business with a big lot (always ask, though!). Fire departments and police stations are often good places, provided you ask where they would like you to park.

Happy travels!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

AnneM
Explorer
Explorer
Just coming back to say thank you!
I take it that the bottom line is as always, to be sensible and considerate. Yes, we have traveled extensively in the US, so I'm familiar with what towns and cities look like. I think my main concern was with parking in a residential area in suburbia. A place where you would be ok parking a sedan but clearly, a huge rig would stand out. I have seen many RV's in people's driveways in such areas - but rarely parked on the street.
So, my take from this discussion is -
1. If you can, avoid residential streets and park in parking lots.
2. If you must park on a street - make sure there are no signs saying you can't. It's best to ask a local if you see one and let them know you'll be moving soon.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:

Apparently you can post saying you flattened tires but when I call it a d-ck move that post gets deleted. Moderator- at least post that you deleted it so we all know we are not aloud to call somebody out for being a (fill in the blank)

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is one of the reasons we bought our 22' B+. Generally don't have a parking problem. Except with the possibility of downtown in a larger cities.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
To Israelimom, the US is a big place, lots of space to park RVs. You've been around here. City centers are tough/impossible, everywhere else is either doable or wide open. It's not an issue

Nice edit mods.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:

Not really great to say on an rv board

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To Israelimom, the US is a big place, lots of space to park RVs. You've been around here. City centers are tough/impossible, everywhere else is either doable or wide open. It's not an issue
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
It's why we moved from s DP to a Class B. We can stop and park without thinking, it's a different life but it works for us.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œFor some reason, an unusually large number of them used to get flat tires.โ€œ

Seriously, troubled? Thatโ€™s a crime....just plain wrong.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We would look for store lots, public parking or wherever we could comfortably fit without being obtrusive. We never parked in a residential area-we just considered it rude and unfair. If we couldn't find a spot near we'd either pass or go a little further out, unhitch the toad and go back, assuming we had time.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]