cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

House A/C does not cool well

Sunchaser_59
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks, I have a 34 ft Itaska Suncruiser with a 5500 Onan generator. The A/c is the basement style and will literally freeze you out when plugged in to a power source but will barely make it comfortable on gen power. Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10

catldog
Explorer
Explorer
msturtz wrote:
Hmm, is your AC one of the two-stage units? Is your rig a 50 AMP rig? It may be that you have one of the basement two stage AC units that on shore power use both to keep the rig at the setpoint temperature. However on generator power, since less power is available will only run one of the AC compressors. This means it would have less power available to run loads.

Our 93 Vectra was the other way around,when plugged into pedestal power only one compressor was powered,with the generator running both compressor were powered,the second stage power came directly from the
generators 20 amp breaker, I replaced the 30 amp cord and transfer switch with 50 amp and then both stages would run when plugged in.jg
2001 Winnebago Journey DL 36 DP

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Sunchaser 59 wrote:
The 30 amp switch is the only one on. The 20 is off.

BINGO:B You have found your problem. BOTH breakers need to be ON. Doug

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check your generator voltage when it is under a load.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Turn on the 20A breaker as well as the 30A.

Sunchaser_59
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 30 amp unit.

Sunchaser_59
Explorer
Explorer
The 30 amp switch is the only one on. The 20 is off.

Sunchaser_59
Explorer
Explorer
On shore power the amp draw on the panel is around 23. On generator power it is 18. I am unsure if the a\c is a two stage.

MrWizard
assuming both instances are in the same weather and same location
have you done a voltage check using A/C when on generator power ?

driving in 100+ heat is not the same as being parked with the awning out
just moving down the road in hot weather causes the RV to need more cooling
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You have 2 -120 breakers(30 and a 20) on the Genset. The 20 amp breaker on the Genset is tripped and THAT breaker may supply power to the 2nd compressor on the Basement air. On Shore Power, both Compressors are getting 120 power. Doug

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, is your AC one of the two-stage units? Is your rig a 50 AMP rig? It may be that you have one of the basement two stage AC units that on shore power use both to keep the rig at the setpoint temperature. However on generator power, since less power is available will only run one of the AC compressors. This means it would have less power available to run loads.
FMCA member