cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New flooring...how?

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I have lino down and want to lay in some of that neat vinyl self-adhesive planking. Can I lay that onto top of the lino or must I remove it first? And if I need to remove the lino...how do I get it from under the cupboards and walls?

Many thanks..

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
19 REPLIES 19

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
Stick down flooring failure

I hope this works out for you, but I would suggest checking out my experience- I tried to be as careful as possible and still had a bad result!

Best wishes however you go for a good result!
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
And a change of plan....talked to the guy that is going to install and says glued down planking is the only way to fly. Leaving the original lino down,a coating of thin-set type stuff...put down the planking 'wet' using 306. Says never move.

Gary

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
ive installed new "click" type floating floors in three trailers. I always removed the old vinyl, easy to do, it wasn't glued down. removing the old floor gave me a chance to inspect the subfloor and repair as needed. I did remove it inside the cabinets as well. its still underneath all the cabinet walls except the vanity that was easy to remove
the latest trailer also required an entirely new subfloor in the slide. the slide has the dinette and couch, easy to remove.
love the new "wood" click flooring, I installed a small trim(door stop actually) all around, white around the panelled walls and stained pine around the cabinets
i'll get some pics but posting pics here sucks
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
After 4 days of research I have pretty much decided on replacing the existing vinyl with new vinyl. All the floor stores I was into were more than helpful in giving me the same same answers...vinyl planking is not the best choice for my purposes. One of the things is that I am in 4x4, 24ft C and it flexes and bends when I am off-road. Any amount of that will cause warping and shifting. Plus, temps are an issue. Planking does not fare well with below zero/into the 40's temps.

Too bad..I really wanted that 'look'...but it is not for me. Next step is to re-do all the wood cupboards and trims...before the floor. We will use a Rustoleum product, "Cabinet Transformations Light Kit"..we have just done our home kitchen and the stuff is crazy. No sanding or brushing...wipe on the de-glazer, wipe off. Wipe on the colour..wipe excess off. Wipe on the stain to give it the distressed look..wipe off excess. Wipe on the glaze. Each step is a 24 hr dry, just to be sure.

Yes..I will do pix.

Gary Haupt

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the sticky stuff and found it horrible to work with and after awhile the edges curled up so it looked bad. I had to pull all the linoleum up and went with the click together stuff which is working well....

that's my experience anyway....
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
azrving wrote:
Do you have a slide?

No slide. It is a 24ft C.

Gary

That helps a lot. Slides usually glide on the carpet and sometimes scratch aftermarket flooring when the carpet is removed.

I used self stick tiles from the depot. I removed the carpet and linoleum after cutting it along the cabinets. I would have left the linoleum but the transition in height would transfer through the thin new tile. I first coated the osb floor with a water based sealer so the tiles would stick better. I couldn't picture them sticking well to raw osb or plywood or any wood.

I butted them together but they can be spaced and use a sanded flexible silicone type caulk as a groute line. I did have to use goop on a couple stubborn pieces by the step that didn't stick well. We wanted a tile look but also knew that we would not be in freezing weather or at least the rig wouldn't be subjected to deep freeze and not be used.

I did have problems with my slide so there are now a couple pieces of flat metal under it in the roller area which even though trying to prevent it have kissed the tile and scratch it. One of the things I liked in the begging is that these individual tiles are easily replaced.

Soooo...in your case if you have a nice continuous piece of linoleum I'd just go over it. I started looking at the snap together style but some seemed cheesy. The stick together looked like trouble. Iirc they fasten one edge and let the other edges float after installing a small 1/4 round or other trim.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Gary - I think the takeaway from those threads should have been to don't stick flooring down in an RV with its non-temperature-controlled environment, which, if I read your post correctly is exactly what you plan to do.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
And one thing for sure...it's not the biggest cost in the RV. Maybe 6 boxes...couple hundred bux.

Gary

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Recent Thread 1

Recent Thread 2

Recent Thread 3

Recent Thread 4

Recent Thread 5

Thank you...read all....and in truth? I am no brighter after...Allure..Pergo...it's too early to be drinking, but I may make an exception.

Gary

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Do you have a slide?

No slide. It is a 24ft C.

Gary

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't put stick tiles on vinyl floor. They won't stay put.
As for cabinets et all cut around them.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Recent Thread 1

Recent Thread 2

Recent Thread 3

Recent Thread 4

Recent Thread 5