cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reality of a front deck toy hauler

Derick
Explorer
Explorer
So I generally post in the travel trailer forum...but fact is I have a front deck toy hauler. My question is, what is the reality of what I can store there? The whole reason that I bought the thing was to take my goldwing on various adventures and have the camper to sleep in. I'm having a proper ramp installed in a week or so but I'm curious to know what the reality is with tongue weight.

I have a suburban 2500, and I'll be installing the 3600 lbs bump stop upgrades. I dont particularly want to install airbags, but I will if I have to. I'm well under tow capacity, but tongue weight is obviously the concern.
30 REPLIES 30

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Not to be too nit-pickey, but the tounge weight is loaded truck minus unloaded truck which is 1140lb. You are adding 1300 to the rear axle because you are also pulling 160 off the front.

I'd keep an eye on those trailer tires too, that's a lot of weight for a single axle.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A little bit of math is the key to weight distribution.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Derick wrote:
nayther wrote:

The difference on the drive axle from with/without should be your tongue weight so 1300 would be right, so your trailer weighs 6,140# without your bike on the front, add the bike and your tongue weight is over 2,000#!

Then I have to ask, why the heck would they design this?! The camper is at limits itself....without a "toy". Golf carts weight similarly, so its not like they are substantially lighter.

Guess it's just for bicycles and maybe a small generator. Certainly not a Goldwing.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Y-Guy
Derick wrote:
So am I reading that there is 1300 pounds on the tongue already? How does that play into my WDH that is rated for 1200 LBS and that was the highest one that camco offered? It seems to me like this is high already, and then expect to put a 'toy' of some sort on the deck. But this was engineered, and built.....but was it built for a frickin peterbilt or what???

Yep you're right and so is nayther. This is partially why the front deck units are not very popular. They're ok if you are only hauling wood and a couple of bikes. Beyond the concern about the hitch and truck, I do wonder if the actual trailer frame can take that much weight or if its likely to bend some.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Derick
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:

The difference on the drive axle from with/without should be your tongue weight so 1300 would be right, so your trailer weighs 6,140# without your bike on the front, add the bike and your tongue weight is over 2,000#!

Then I have to ask, why the heck would they design this?! The camper is at limits itself....without a "toy". Golf carts weight similarly, so its not like they are substantially lighter.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Derick wrote:
OK! I have more info! But I'm left with more questions than answers now.

Here are my weights;

LOADED w/ camper
Steer: 3300
Drive: 4600
Trailer: 4840
Total: 12740

UNLOADED
Steer: 3460
Drive: 3300
Trailer: 0
Total: 6760

So am I reading that there is 1300 pounds on the tongue already? How does that play into my WDH that is rated for 1200 LBS and that was the highest one that camco offered? It seems to me like this is high already, and then expect to put a 'toy' of some sort on the deck. But this was engineered, and built.....but was it built for a frickin peterbilt or what???

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Derick
Explorer
Explorer
OK! I have more info!

Derick
Explorer
Explorer
So I have HALF of the info. I need to go back and do a tare weigh this week to get the other half, but here's what I weigh fully packed and ready to rock;

Steer: 3300
Drive: 4600
Trailer: 4840
Total: 12740

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you. I actually bought one when they first came out many years ago, seems like back in the 80's. Their first covers weren't waterproof, and would let dirt filter through them in especially dusty conditions. But they fit well and could be easily cleaned. Basically back then they were just sun and overnight dew protection.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder For what it worth ~ Great find!
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW there is a cover that will work very well for travel purposes that won't flap. It's called Geza Gear.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Derick you'll be fine towing it with your suburban 2500 ~ (My question is, what is the reality of what I can store there. Anything you wish just make sure it's strapped down. Keep in mind you get a lot of road dirt on the front of your trailer the would include your front deck where your bike well be and even if your covering it the cover well beat you bike to death as well. That's why when you see certain items in transport their shrink-wrapped.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
And then to calculate the cantilever effect of cargo behind the axle group on hitch weight the trailer becomes a lever with the fulcrum at the center of the spring equalizer.

Y-Guy
fj12ryder wrote:
Not a Harley, but a Gold Wing, but similar weights.

Whoops, thanks!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon