cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tight sewer hose connections

wojorv
Explorer
Explorer
Would any one have a trick to getting sewer hoses disconnected that are too tight? Like many, due to some arthritis my grip isn't what it used to be. The Camco tool doesn't get any good reviews. I've tried some lubricant to no avail.
Thank You

โš Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions related to forum posting, signature and photo testing, or reporting member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, post in the RV Forum which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
30 REPLIES 30

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
How about these: Linkaroonie

I didn't know they were available. Sometimes we have found the connections nigh impossible to separate. That includes the adapter screwed into a dirt o4r grit contaminated sewer connector. Many times I will try to rinse that connector from hose first, and still may be hard when disconnecting.
I rinse our hoses and connectors to get rid of any grit or anything else, while it is lying in the grass, inside and out.. Or course they are rinsed thoroughly by the flush system and plenty of soaps etc from the gray tank.
Thanks for the tip.

wborst
Explorer
Explorer
I bought two of these and they work great on all of my sewer hose connections.
Brenda, Bill
Our little dog Madison has crossed the Rainbow Bridge
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire 40ft. Spartan chassis
400 hp Cummins ISL

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be aware that different brands of sewer hoses have different diameters of fittings. I bought a pair of Camco sewer hose wrenches only to find they didn't fit our hose. I need to get some that will fit because with every passing season I'm finding it harder to separate the hoses & fittings.

The ones I bought were these orange Camco ones. Are the strap wrenches being referred to these yellow JR Products ones? If so, they are supposedly flimsy and break easily. I haven't found other ones that are available. An oil filter strap wrench would work well but too heavy and cumbersome to me but an oil filter wrench *might* be okay. May try some silicone spray. Someone out there made a wrench out of alumium flat bar as below.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hubby always uses dish soap to loosen tight fittings or joints- then can easily be washed off. Straight from the bottle.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That it will. it will also solve the problem of "What do I do with all that excess money in my bank account".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
The Waste Master sewer hose will solve the problem.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
obie311 wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Thanks to whomever gave this thread a 'Bump'

I read it a long time ago and could not find it again to post a reply.

Harbor Freight

Channel lock

Turns out in the largest setting.. These are PERFECT for the job. Last used mine.... yesterday.

Are the 9" Channellocks big enough to fit the sewer cap comfortably or should I step up to the Channellock 2012 pliers12" version??

I use the ones designed for OIL FILTERS. it's a special pair. The links I provided are the proper ones. I do not know the size.
Just checked the link. yes 9" is the size. I see the 12 inch on your link and ..looks like it would work too.

I'm actually using the one REMCO shipped with my Axle Lock.. I only used it on the axle lock a few times (usually used my xxxl Hands) but now i use it on the sewer cap and love it.

I think either one will work if you have room (Room is the issue in my case)

Works great

In my case I have the strength but the location makes it next to impossible. that wrench is great.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a yellow wrench as the orange units shown ere and had my friend who has a machine shop build one from a piece of aluminum with a longer handle, that helps a lot I can hook the hose all right it is taking it off that I had trouble.

navegator

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Thanks to whomever gave this thread a 'Bump'

I read it a long time ago and could not find it again to post a reply.

Harbor Freight

Channel lock

Turns out in the largest setting.. These are PERFECT for the job. Last used mine.... yesterday.

Are the 9" Channellocks big enough to fit the sewer cap comfortably or should I step up to the Channellock 2012 pliers12" version??

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harvey51 wrote:
I carry a wee bit of grease in case itโ€™s needed for an oil filter, gas tank cap, or RV tank cap. At the first sign of too tight I take off the cap and grease the seal. I also pour a tablespoon or so of Canola oil down the toilet after dumping to prevent leaking from the shut off, making removal of the cap unpleasant.

Careful, petroleum products will deteriorate real, actual rubber over time.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well Mr. Crain ... FOr other reasons that might not work on my rig but in any case it costs MONEY and the wrench. as I said. I've been lugging aroudn 13 years and never thought to use it till now (Face Plam).

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a wee bit of grease in case itโ€™s needed for an oil filter, gas tank cap, or RV tank cap. At the first sign of too tight I take off the cap and grease the seal. I also pour a tablespoon or so of Canola oil down the toilet after dumping to prevent leaking from the shut off, making removal of the cap unpleasant.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:

Oh the Valterra Cap (Travel cap on the sewer outlet) is the one that is hard to get off for me. The hose no problem but that cap is a real pain. the lay out of the compartment means even without aging joints I have issues.

I solved that problem with One of These
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clarryhill wrote:
Got a couple strap wrenches, but the channel locks Wa8yxm is referring to really get the job done.

Thanks.. What I'm still trying to figure out.. That wrench has been in the RV since day one (over 13 years ago) since it is also the wrench for the Remco Axle Lock that was on my first towed..

AND I JUST NOW FIGURED OUT IT WORKS FOR SEWER HOSES.

Oh the Valterra Cap (Travel cap on the sewer outlet) is the one that is hard to get off for me. The hose no problem but that cap is a real pain. the lay out of the compartment means even without aging joints I have issues.