cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

STEERING CONTROL

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good evening everyone. A little cooler here today.
I was thinking about a steering control. Safe T Plus. Has anyone put one on a E450? If so, what are you thoughts about how it helps?
Or has anyone put a different brand on their E450? Again your thoughts.
Or your thoughts on steering control, Pro or Con.
Just read a story on another forum about a couple out in their class A and a rear air bag failed allowing the back end to drop and bounce on and off the rear wheels. They had a steering control and he said it probably save a whole lot of damage by keeping the coach going straith.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax
12 REPLIES 12

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning j-d
WE have not decided when we will head south, probably sometime in Oct.
Brenda and Bill
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
warren thanks for the reply
I did read the thread.
Brenda and Bill

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
woodworker414 wrote:

What part of FL, I spend part of the winter in Bushnell, exit 314 off I75. Red Oaks rv resort.

Duval/Jacksonville. We could meet. Just PM me your schedule.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer

installed on an E350 ... very happy ... read this thread:

Steering Control Thread

2007 Gulf Stream 6211 (21' Shorty) Ford E350 V10
sometimes with #14 Racecar (18' KwikLoad Rollback)
sometimes with two gaited horses (Featherlite 9407)
sometimes just us camping with our dogs

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good Monday morning j-d.
Yes, God is my co-pilot.
Thans for taking time to reply.
My rig handles really well as stock.
Adding SteerControl as a precaution, just in case of a blowout.
I don't drive, due to loss of vision. Macular Degeneration.
Want to make the coach easier to handle in wind and when 18 wheelers pass, the girlfriend does all the driving. Make it easier for her.
I will check out your suggestions to see if I want to add to my rig.
How many miles on your rig?
Gotta love the V-10!!!!!!!!!
Whap part of FL, I spend part of the winter in Bushnell, exit 314 off I75. Red Oaks rv resort.
Brenda and Bill

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Agree but with a couple additions:

First, Do all you can FIRST to make your coach want to behave. Weigh and set tire
pressures. Maybe stiff sway bars. Even a "High Caster" alignment with at least 5*L and 5.5*R.

THEN, See what more you may need. Otherwise you could be trying to band-aid a compound fracture!

I think IMICH is referring to the collection of springs and yellow brackets out of Deming NM. You can leave or upgrade that OEM "Damper."

The self contained S-T-P and Roadmaster's RSSC (C for Class C, there's also RSSA) combine Damper and Centering. S-T-P is 140 Series for C's. Both require new bracket kits. RSS is less popular.

OEM is simply a Damper
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD, Thank you again for the info. I will go through his site and wee what he has and share this infor with friends that have dullies.
Take Cae
Brenda and Bill

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
That all sound great,ya those extenders are not the way to go,I would go with longer valve stems.

The best on the market,that are the original,are Tire Man.

Chuck is the original designer of these an he has been around for years. If you have any questions just give him a call, he is always happy to help. Any others are just cheap reproductions of the original.

The kit looks like This it is for all 6 wheels,they also come with flow-thru valve caps so you don't even need to take then off to check the pressure.

Here is a list of all the products he sells.

Have a safe trip home.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD
Yes it did. I ordered the system yesterday afternoon.
Have been thinking about getting a system since April. We were on our way badk from FL. where we are Snowbirds. Stopped at Gulf State Park, Gulf Shores, AL. My girlfriend got out from the drivers seat, she does all the driving, because I very poor vision. As she was coming around the front of C she saw that the left tire was low, It wasn't when se started out that morning. Tire shop changed out the tire, becauxe the sidewall had cracks. Not driving on that kind of tire. Had him check the rear dullies, the inner strreeside tire, the valve stem extender had come off the wheel and was just flopping around, wore a hole in the sidewall. It would not have been many more miles and we would have had a blow out. I will install extra long metal valve stems shortly.
The new tires are Michelin XPS Rib, really like them. Will Probably relace the four on the rear soon. Since I had to replace the rear tire, I had the two new tires put on as the steer tires.
Thanks again.
Brenda and Bill

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
woodworker414 wrote:
IAMICHABOD, Thanks very much for the reply. I was thinking of that setup when I started looking for a steer control. But the name never came to mind. My best buddy is a mechanic and has installed this setup on a class A. Thank you for sharing your awful story. Thankfully no one was hurt. I have amonth before we hit the road and I would like to have a system on before we leave. Great testimony to the product.

Your Welcome,I hope this helps you out.
Buying A Rental Class C

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD, Thanks very much for the reply. I was thinking of that setup when I started looking for a steer control. But the name never came to mind. My best buddy is a mechanic and has installed this setup on a class A. Thank you for sharing your awful story. Thankfully no one was hurt. I have amonth before we hit the road and I would like to have a system on before we leave. Great testimony to the product.
Brenda and Bill

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had Steer Safe on my Class A Winnebago and had a catastrophic front tire blowout at 60 mph and it kept me in the road and going straight until I could get to the shoulder. I was also towing a 20 foot trailer with dune buggy and atvs that weighed in @ 5100 lbs.I wrote them a big thank you letter. as a side note I am a retired OTR driver and have blown steering axle tires on a few 18 wheelers it was not much fun,that is why I put them on my RV.Dw and kids all came home safe.

I would choose them over Safe T plus,Unlike Safe T Plus that hook onto a vehicleโ€™s tie rod, Steer Safe offers protection from the front wheels to the steering gear box.
Buying A Rental Class C