cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

North Carolina I-77 to I-81 to I-84 upstate NY

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious about the drive from NC through I-77 to I-81 then I-84 to New Paltz NY.

I'm assuming its better than I-95:-)

Thanks

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650
14 REPLIES 14

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
One of the main reasons you see semis "hog the rest areas" is because they have to place to park if truck stops are full. They are required to take a break after 11 hours of driving. Business don't want them on their property. Police/DOT/States don't want them parking on the shoulders/on/off ramps. RV's park in semi lanes at rest stops. RV's can park pretty much anywhere's. Don't blame the semi guys for parking in rest areas.

I agree tho, that 81 is hilly in places and offers some extremely nice vistas.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
I live a bit north of New Paltz. We go to Florida every winter. We use 95 on the way down (making sure to hit balt/wash late at night for a pleasant journey and to visit inlaws that are convenient to 95). On the way back we use 81 to 84 but we break off at route 209 (live off 209 in stone ridge).

Your selection will be a pleasant journey. 81 is a bit hilly but scenic (to me anyway in some spots)...it has a fair amount of trucks which hog the rest areas but we don't use them anyway.

You won't be disappointed. Balt/wash is not pleasant.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Just came back last sat from that area. Had no problems at the 77/81 split, but that was on a Fri eve heading north on 77 to 81 S to Ft Chiswell RV park. Charlotte construction is a bear.No problems on 81 other than normal city congestion traffic areas and people who don't know how to drive around large vehicles. Took us about 10 hours or so from Ft Chiswell to Syracuse.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Every Time!!!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
To me it all depends on the time you will be driving. I drive at night so the direct route is what I always take. Including I95.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
rjsurfer wrote:
Just curious about the drive from NC through I-77 to I-81 then I-84 to New Paltz NY.
I'm assuming its better than I-95:-)
Thanks
Ron W.
to
I'm not so sure I'd want to do I77 North of Charlotte with all the construction...once around that it's a great ride...C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
One other concern is when you hit the I77 I 81 merge. If it is on a Saturday or Sunday during the summer then expect backups. All the beach traffic coming north gets clogged there and delays can be for miles. Also the ramp at this merge that keeps you on I77 north is under construction further adding to the delays.

I just came through there on Wednesday and did not encounter any delays but I learned my lesson the hard way about traveling on the weekend through there.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware of one long pull up a steep grade outside of Mt. Airy where 74 comes into 77.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I only know about I-81 and I-95 through Virginia, and yes, I-81 will be a better route due to traffic as well as convoluted interchanges in both Richmond and DC areas.

That being said, however, do be aware that the section of I-81 between Bristol and Lexington, VA has one of the highest accident rates in the country. It's not that there are dangerous spots -- those could be fixed once identified -- it is because of heavy truck traffic. It needs to be turned into 3 lanes each way instead of the current 2 lanes. But of course, there's no money for that expensive upgrade. You just need to stay on your toes.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
It should be okay, definitely better than I-95 in my opinion.

From north of Harrisburg, a possible alternative might be to take I-78 to I-287 to I-87. That would at least miss the Wilkes Barre and Scranton area, which isn't the most enjoyable part of I-81 to drive through. Google maps suggests this is a wee bit quicker and shorter, but not really enough difference to worry about.

I'd go with the I-81 to I-84 route. I-78 through Pa is not very good road, and can be very congested around the Allentown area. Also I-87 can be very congested. Once you're through the Wilkes Barre-Scranton area, it's not bad.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It should be okay, definitely better than I-95 in my opinion.

From north of Harrisburg, a possible alternative might be to take I-78 to I-287 to I-87. That would at least miss the Wilkes Barre and Scranton area, which isn't the most enjoyable part of I-81 to drive through. Google maps suggests this is a wee bit quicker and shorter, but not really enough difference to worry about.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
YES, I wouldn't travel that stretch of 95 unless I had too.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
I was up that route a couple of years ago, but not to New Paltz. Did a delivery to Rhode Island. I don't believe we traveled 81 all the way to 84 but cannot recall the route we did take. Traffic was typical rush hour morning and evening. That said, any route is better than 95. We took some bad advice and came back part of the way on 95. Terrible traffic!! Finally got back over to 81 after coming into NYC and thru N Jersey. NEVER AGAIN!

thanks...that's kinda what I thought.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was up that route a couple of years ago, but not to New Paltz. Did a delivery to Rhode Island. I don't believe we traveled 81 all the way to 84 but cannot recall the route we did take. Traffic was typical rush hour morning and evening. That said, any route is better than 95. We took some bad advice and came back part of the way on 95. Terrible traffic!! Finally got back over to 81 after coming into NYC and thru N Jersey. NEVER AGAIN!
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow