cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tonneau Cover Opinion - Undercover tri-fold

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a tonneau cover for my truck. I have decided I want a tri-fold hard cover. I would like to stay under $1000. After looking at all the options, Undercover seems to be the brand I am looking at. It is between the Ultra flex and Armor Flex.

Seems like those have the highest user ratings, Ease of use (no clamps to latch only cables to pull), Seem like best durability, Secure (They have latches on each panel), longer warranty.

I know others have some or all of these features but these two seem like the best combined. I have looked at Gator, BAK, Peregon, extang and not sure if I am missing some other good options.

Any opinions or suggestions on these or others are welcome as well as retailer suggestions but My requirements are: Tri-Fold, Hard top and $1000 or less.

Here are links to the ones I am looking at:

Ultra Flex
Armor Flex
Thanks
26 REPLIES 26

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
I know Undercover folding cover is somewhat similar to Bakflip but with some minor enhancements.

theczar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up with the Armorflex. Thanks Dutchman. Like you I love this cover. Easy install and Quality materials and function. I took the truck through the carwash and there was hardly any water in the bed.

Very happy with my choice. Thanks again.

fulltimegrams22
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
That is what we bought recently. So far I like it. Chris

That's great to hear. Ours came yesterday, the 11th, and hubby put it on the truck already. We like it too, so hopefully it will be a good run. We especially like how the in bed lighting is very bright with the cover on, we can see anything we put in the bed, nice. Grams

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is what we bought recently. So far I like it. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

fulltimegrams22
Explorer
Explorer
We decided to go ahead and order the Bakflip MX4 through RealTuck.com

The online price is $929 for our truck. I called them direct and asked for a discount from the online price and they gave it to me for $829.99 total with free shipping still included. Wow! What a deal that is, it ships out in two business days! I am so happy.

Edit: Just got email confirmation this cover is already shipped and will be delivered on the 11th. Wow, great service. :B

fulltimegrams22
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
fulltimegrams22 wrote:

BakFlipMX4

that looks exactly like my tacoma one.
bumpy

How do you like it?

works great. I didn't want one of those one piece units that make it impossible to carry anything tall without looking stupid. not totally waterproof, I would carry "stuff" in plastic totes that I don't want to get wet. been in some heavy rains with minimal leakage. don't remember what mine cost but I think it was in the range of that source.
fold it back one section and carried a charcoal grill home from HD.
bumpy

Yeah, we like the usability it seems to have. We haven't ordered it yet. We have however, replaced the bed liner with a new one because the one that came in it covered the in bed lighting, so strange they would do that. We also added some R7 running boards, and new weather tech floor liners for the front and back. We like all we have done so far.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimegrams22 wrote:

BakFlipMX4

bumpy

How do you like it?

works great. I didn't want one of those one piece units that make it impossible to carry anything tall without looking stupid. not totally waterproof, I would carry "stuff" in plastic totes that I don't want to get wet. been in some heavy rains with minimal leakage. don't remember what mine cost but I think it was in the range of that source.
fold it back one section and carried a charcoal grill home from HD.
bumpy

fulltimegrams22
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a video on the MX4 BakFlip cover. We really like this one and think we are surely going with it. We like the ability to lock in the supports when up against the back window. It locks in with a slide lock and seems to be far more secure than a snap in support rod. Also, the back light can still be seen and there is protection of the window from the cover as well.

For some reason the link tab isn't opening up for me to use it. So copy and paste will work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ByQkAiPJQ

fulltimegrams22
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
fulltimegrams22 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
WNYBob wrote:
This is not a tonneau cover but some thing better, look at a Softopper. I've had one for over 10 years, it's as dry as any fiberglas cap, and less than $900. I can put it up in less than 5 min an down in 2. It folds up like a convertible top.

Satisfied owner,
Bob

that looks interesting. but my tacoma doesn't have guide rails????
bumpy

We have the soft topper for our truck. We have used it for long trips from Texas to California and back. It is great! I'm not sure it is better than a tonneau cover though. You can't lock it like a tonneau cover so there is that. We always unloaded what was in the bed into our hotel room for safety from theft. But it was nice to have it all covered back there when we went through one of those awful mud/rain storms in arizona one night. At least it was all clean and dry inside the bed.

We just bought a new dodge with the same size bed so are hoping our soft topper fits the new truck. We also want a tonneau cover for everyday use and that is why I am in this thread, lol. We are looking into the BakFlipMX4 cover. I think it is what we will go with. We like how it can be left open and it protects the window while going down the road.

BakFlipMX4

bumpy

How do you like it?

fulltimegrams22
Explorer
Explorer
Larry-D wrote:
My first Bak Flip worked great. the Bak Flip 2 I have now leaks but the security is great.

I was reading about those BakFlip2's leaking. Haven't heard much of any leaking with the new version of the MX4 and it gets very good reviews. We like the design that sits lower into the bed than those that sit on top of the bed.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimegrams22 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
WNYBob wrote:
This is not a tonneau cover but some thing better, look at a Softopper. I've had one for over 10 years, it's as dry as any fiberglas cap, and less than $900. I can put it up in less than 5 min an down in 2. It folds up like a convertible top.

Satisfied owner,
Bob

that looks interesting. but my tacoma doesn't have guide rails????
bumpy

We have the soft topper for our truck. We have used it for long trips from Texas to California and back. It is great! I'm not sure it is better than a tonneau cover though. You can't lock it like a tonneau cover so there is that. We always unloaded what was in the bed into our hotel room for safety from theft. But it was nice to have it all covered back there when we went through one of those awful mud/rain storms in arizona one night. At least it was all clean and dry inside the bed.

We just bought a new dodge with the same size bed so are hoping our soft topper fits the new truck. We also want a tonneau cover for everyday use and that is why I am in this thread, lol. We are looking into the BakFlipMX4 cover. I think it is what we will go with. We like how it can be left open and it protects the window while going down the road.

BakFlipMX4

bumpy

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Lear tri fold covers. I like mine a lot . On a Lear you have to pinch to levers together to open lid very secure. The bad guys love the cable pull models just a coat hanger between tailgate and cover pulls the cable and there in.
2019 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
My first Bak Flip worked great. the Bak Flip 2 I have now leaks but the security is great.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
brianpearce wrote:
I bought the Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover (under $800) for my truck over 2 years ago and like it a lot. Having a long bed, I can keep it folded while I tow my fifth wheel and when disconnected can secure my bed by closing it.

X2, I've had that tonneau on my last 2 trucks. Very sturdy.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"