cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway Montana

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning on a trip mid-September through Montana including the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway East of Lost Trail Pass and the Big Hole Battlefield.

I've found a lot of information, but am looking from first hand feedback on the drive itself on the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway from beginning to end and campgrounds along the way that we can fit our FW in. I've seen only one video on YouTube on the byway and it doesn't film the entire length. My concern is that one other RVer on a blog I found said they would not recommend that route towing anything, yet a Visit MT site stated it's suitable for towing.

As for campgrounds, there are many, but it looks like the best one is Price Creek CG for apron size and interior road size.

Any feedback on this area is appreciated.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton
33 REPLIES 33

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Renee: I traveled all of the the Scenic Byway last Sept (N to S), after visiting my cousin in Dillon. Very pretty drive. Stayed at Price Creek CG. Back in 2014 I stayed at Lodgepole CG, on the other side of the hwy from Boulder Creek, where you stayed.

Hope all is well in Meridian.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the OP and we took that trip after asking here, in 2018. We thought it was an amazing, beautiful area. We camped at Boulder Creek CG on the north end. We came in through Wisdom and went out the same way, but drove the entire length of the byway. At one time the southern end was gravel, but it is now paved. There is a hair pin turn and climb at the southern end, but nothing too drastic, at least in our opinion. We felt that this was comparable to Yellowstone, but no crowds in September when we went. We were alone in the CG we stayed in. It was great! After leaving there we went to Lewis and Clark Caverns then returned and went to Bannack State Park - well worth it and we liked it much better than L&C Caverns State Park. This area is well worth the trip.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the size of your rig and your skill level.
Last summer a giant Class A came over one of our worst local roads, but the guy had Alaska license plates.
The Northern Rockies have the most difficult roads in America.
You want to see the country, you have to slow down and pay attention.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We took our 30 ft. trailer on the Pioneer last summer. No problem at all. We camped at the campground near the top of the road, at about 7800 feet elevation. I can't recall the name, but it was a few miles from a great hot springs.
There is a campground further North that we also stayed in for a couple nights.
The trailer did get some cow poo thrown on the front.
We came in from Wisdom, where we gassed up, found the Scenic Byway, went North on it, and came out on I-15. We will probably make this trip again because it's real pretty.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Renee G, we have been at the Divide Bridge CG. Great spot. What we found was the sites along the river were very loaded with mosquitoes. But there is another section that is out in the open and was much better. Also on the road thru Polaris is a fantastic CG. Price Creek CG. Paved and a lot of pull-thru sites. We were sitting at the dinette and got visited by a deer looking in the window at us.

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
Another camping option, and another thing to see in the area, is Bannack State Park. Neat ghost town.

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Tuc. 190 to 15 sounds perfect. Thanks again. Betsy.
Betsy

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Can't say what would be "best" route, that really depends on what you want to see along the way, or if you just want to get to the Pioneers directly.

I might suggest Bozeman to Ennis via I90 and US287. MT287 west to Twin Bridges. You get to see some historic touristy towns (Virginia City, Sheridan). Then MT41 to Dillon and west on MT278 to the south junction with the Byway. There would be some ups and downs, but no real tough stuff.

OR, go I90 to I15 junction west of Butte. There is a high pass east of Butte at the Continental Divide. Nothing extreme! Then west on MT43 to Wise River, the north start of the Byway. Most scenic area of that drive would be from I15 to Wise River along the Big Hole River. After that you will have the Byway all to yourself!!! (?)
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Tuc. We will be coming from Bozeman. How would you go from there? Thanks again. Betsy.
Betsy

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Going N to S is a generally easy climb with a fairly steep downhill near the south end. Obviously going S to N is going to be just the opposite!! I guess where you are coming from to the Pioneer Scenic Byway and your rig might be the deciding factor. The climb from the south after the hot springs is healthy!! A gasser with a large trailer or a large gas class A will be working hard!! The trip is very much worth it no matter which you take!! You will find 4 or 5 NF campgrounds on the way, and many dispersed/boondocking spots off of the hwy.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Opinions on North to South or South to North. Thank you. Betsy.
Betsy

grandma_lynn
Explorer
Explorer
There is a campground, BLM I think, between Wisdom and Wise river. It is right off the highway and on the river. Didn't stay there but checked it out and thought it would be a good place to stay. We stayed at an rv park and I use that term loosely, but it was quiet and had full hookups in Wisdom. Made the tour over the Pioneers lots of sites to see. Take the hike to Coolidge, about a mile, its is an old gold mining ghost town. Also if you like rocks check out crystal park where you can dig for crystals. If I remember there are a few forest service campgrounds on the route over the Pioneers.
full-timer in training

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
When planning our trips I always pick the Scenic roads. Betsy.
Betsy

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
TUCQUALA wrote:
On your drive did you run into any Montana road apples?? In late May, wet then, creeks along side road full, lots of cattle traffic on road!! Front of trailer was covered in brown spots!! Maybe the early spring grass has an effect on bovine digestive systems!!!

Beautiful drive, and some deceptive passes!!

Lots of them! Lots of cattle on the road. We too had manure all inside our truck wheel wells and fenders. It looked like a rancher's truck!