cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

help with electrical please

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Coachmen Encounter, I am sitting in Tacoma WA @ JBLM Holiday Park. I am plugged into a 50Amp shorepower. My front A/c, washer/dryer, fireplace, water heater, front tv and 4 power recepticles are working. My rear a/c, microwave, and refrig are not working along with 5 outlets. both bathrooms are working with electricity. I have checked for fuse blowout and all are ok. I have turned all fuses on and off. I have done the same with the "main". Currently my generator is in the shop and not connected. I have checked the GFI and it has been reset but was not triggered before the reset. ANY IDEAS????

G George
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
21 REPLIES 21

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
It sounds like you are on to the problem.

A test at the transfer panel should have sorted it out quickly.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
GGeorge wrote:
I have a 2014 Coachmen Encounter, I am sitting in Tacoma WA @ JBLM Holiday Park. I am plugged into a 50Amp shorepower. My front A/c, washer/dryer, fireplace, water heater, front tv and 4 power recepticles are working. My rear a/c, microwave, and refrig are not working along with 5 outlets. both bathrooms are working with electricity. I have checked for fuse blowout and all are ok. I have turned all fuses on and off. I have done the same with the "main". Currently my generator is in the shop and not connected. I have checked the GFI and it has been reset but was not triggered before the reset. ANY IDEAS????

G George

One leg of the 240vac is open.
Where is the question, so start with the source and have the park bring a meter to the pedestal, just for beginners.
OK there?....then next at the top of the coach main breaker. Nothing there?.....then check the transfer sw. for in a and out. Not coming in?,..... then see if your shore cord uses a twist loc connector for feeding the coach and if the connector might be loose or even has burnt contacts?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check for power on both legs at the main power box. We had that and one leg from the main circuit in the campground power box was dead. Campground had to replace the breaker. Our power management did not alert us of this when it happened. All appeared normal. Check voltage on both legs there.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
The house 50A breakers are downstream of the surge, don't mess with the plug. If you have voltage on the 2nd leg, you are fine. You need to find out why it is not being delivered to the appliances and plugs and I would start with the two main breakers in your house panel!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
siggyd777 wrote:
You should check & measure the voltages at the ATC (Auto Transfer Switch), it's in a box where the power cable comes into the motorhome. Disconnect from pedestal first and check for a bad / burned connection or a bad contactor.
Siggy

Just to be completely clear, these are two independent checks to be made. Measuring the voltages at the ATC with the shore power cord unplugged from the pedestal wouldn't be particularly enlightening.

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
You should check & measure the voltages at the ATC (Auto Transfer Switch), it's in a box where the power cable comes into the motorhome. Disconnect from pedestal first and check for a bad / burned connection or a bad contactor.
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
did you check the inverter? there are two switches on ours that we sometime have to reset.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
Do you have an energy management system in coach? Make sure it is set to 50 amp.
Reset shore power breaker.
Turn off all breakers in coach. Apply light pressure toward "off".
Turn on main breaker
Turn on branch breakers one at a time.
A/C units do not go through GFCI

FYI, A EMS 50 amp system does NOT have to be set to 50 amp. If you are on 50 amp service it automatically goes to 50 amp. If you had set it to 30 amp previously and then connected to 50 amp, it will default to 50 amp. And if ON 50 amp you cannot set it to 30 or lower. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Are you sure it is your plug or the campground system?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
after studying the circuit panel and realizing that one 50amp side controlled what worked and one 50amp side controlled what did not work I went back to the nifty surge protector which told me line 1 was drawing 30amps and line 2 was drawing 0 amps. I am in the process of replacing the plug.

Thanks to all for your speed and helpful responses.

GGeorge
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

MrWizard
when was the genny sent to the shop
and when did this problem suddenly occur

could be a loose/missing connection at he main junction box or ATS
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think this is just a GFCI issue because the OP's outlets AND rear AC are dead. Those involve separate circuits and the AC isn't on a GFCI.

I would open the panel and probe the 50A breaker in your RV. Follow the power through the panel.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:
You may have more than one GFI.

yup. we found a second one in a storage bay.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
All 120 volt outlets are normally on the primary side of the electrical supply except those that maybe connected through an inverter, but A/C units normally do not run through inverter.
Good test would be disconnect from shore power, start genset and see what works.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker