cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel Trouble Code 32 FIXED

fuzzyface
Explorer
Explorer
My 7500 Onan is not turning over. It is throwing a 32 trouble code.
I have checked the 3 fuses under the plate that covers the radiator fill cap. It is showing 13.2 volts on the lug at the back of the generator. I would appreciate any help, suggestions, or a bomb.....

Thanks

Mike
Linda and Mike Kruzin' in a Kountry Star
13 REPLIES 13

fuzzyface
Explorer
Explorer
Loved Outdoor Adventures, and have a very high opinion of American RV in Burton, MI.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
fuzzyface wrote:
The generator is fixed.....Took it to American RV in Burton, MI; and it was repaired in less than an hour. There was a broken wire to the starter. The repairman accessed the starter thru the oil-fuel filter access door (he had to remove the fuel filter to do so), repaired the wire and we are on the road back home to FL. Thanks, everyone for the suggestions.

My Onan had (and may have again) a sticking choke. (Gasoline engine) I did not even know it when I pulled into American RV in Burton for a routine oil change. He fixed it free and told me about it.

Oh. 2 weeks from now (Actually 1 week from Tuesday) I'll be in Outdoor Adventures lakeshore resort.. I have an oil chnge set for October at American RV. IT will be on a Tuesday but my phone knows which one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, thank you.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Great!! Isn't it nice when something turns out to be that easy? And, thanks for reporting back. It seems like I read about problems and seldom hear about the fix. I can learn from both.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

fuzzyface
Explorer
Explorer
The generator is fixed.....Took it to American RV in Burton, MI; and it was repaired in less than an hour. There was a broken wire to the starter. The repairman accessed the starter thru the oil-fuel filter access door (he had to remove the fuel filter to do so), repaired the wire and we are on the road back home to FL. Thanks, everyone for the suggestions.

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10000QD and had a similar situation last week with ours. You've been given good advice so far and that's exactly what I started with-checking all battery connections and grounds. Still no crank signal from any of the switches. I started cleaning the grounds that are inside of the enclosure and still nothing. So, I began disassembling the enclosure so that I could get access to more of the wiring. I was able to get the top cover off that gave me access to the switch on the front of the genset. Removing the connection from the switch, cleaning the connections and replacing solved my problem. Didn't involve that much getting to the switch so might be something for you to consider. I have heard of others having a similar issue with the switch. I was prepared to start checking voltages at all of the relays using this troubleshooting procedure that another owner with a code 32 had at JustAnswer.com

Here's hoping your problem was as simple as mine.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

fuzzyface
Explorer
Explorer
If I was at home in FL, I would try to pull the generator. I am at a campground in MI, and don't have access to jacks, etc.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Fuzzyface, there is nothing easy about working on Onan generators that are mounted to the RV, at least nothing I've found. If you don't have the maintenance/repair manual, I'd try and get them.

Removing my genny was straight forward and pretty easy but the tech I watched had a proper lift to lower and raise the genny.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

fuzzyface
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the voltage at the stud, it read 13.2, using the pos stud, not the wire, and using the neg stud as the ground. The voltage did drop to 12.67 while the fuel pump was running as we attempted to start the generator. Again, no crank, and trouble code 32. I don't see any way to check the internals of the genny without pulling it from the MH. Again....I would appreciate any help, suggestions, or a bomb.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I would do a complete maintenance on the batteries. Remove and clean every battery terminal and any terminal between the battery and the genny.

Also be advised that a 32 code can be caused by bad brushes. Think about it, armature speed is measured by the output and there is no other connection to the armature than the brushes. I saw mine torn down after twice throwing that code, the first time it was a bad rotor bearing and the second time the brushes weren't properly aligned on the slip rings.

So before you call Onan, (they can be very helpful) do the battery maintenance.

I just re-read your post, if your genny won't turn over at all, of course it throws low RPM, I don't think it can throw any other code. And maybe someone else has the trouble shooting/repair manual. Try a Google search.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
You might try measuring the voltage at the generator post (not the cable) while cranking the generator. Use the negative post on the generator for the (-) probe and not the frame. A low voltage while cranking (or attempting to crank) usually indicates problems on the wiring. Check any connections along the cable including the battery posts.

Also, make sure your generator is well grounged.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

fuzzyface
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. I cleaned and tightened the elec connection at the stud....no difference. It looks to me like the genny will have to be removed from the MH to check internal wiring connections.
the genny is not mounted on a slide. Is there a way that is not obvious to me to check wiring to the starter?

handy2sum
Explorer
Explorer
per our manual, code 32 is low cranking speed fault and
if fuse 32 is ok, then probably have bad battery connections or weak batteries.
So... check for corroded or loose connections / tighten all battery connections. Voltage at post may be fine but not enough current getting through to motor due to high resistance somewhere in the circuit.