cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where’s my OBD port?

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
2007 National Sea Breeze. Ford f53 chassis. We just bought it, have put 1,000 miles ( & smiles), on it already, but today about 20 miles out the “check engine” light came on. M/H now has 14,500 miles on the clock. I was in heavy I5 traffic so an immediate pullover wasn’t gonna happen. So I listened closely to the engine, and watched my temp gauge and rolled on. Went 100 miles to a state park CG near Mt St. Hellens. No cell service there, so I’m posting from a nearby store while DW grabs a few things. So anyway, I obviously want to get the code to see what’s up, but a quick check under the dash revealed no plug for diagnostic. Can anyone enlighten me where it would be? Thanks in advance.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze
11 REPLIES 11

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
cwit wrote:
I put mine where Dutch did. Self tapping screws in plastic. Easy job.

:C My plan as well, now that I’ve found it, and there are plenty of places for the ScanGuage up on the dash.
Carl

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine where Dutch did. Self tapping screws in plastic. Easy job.

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the info! Home now, and M/H is at storage, but I picked up a ScanGuage II on the way home. Hopefully, I’ll get it installed in the next day or two and find out what’s up. Looking forward to having more info at my fingertips while on the road.
Carl

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
sempka wrote:
In my F-53 chassis (2000 Holiday Rambler) it was located on the right side of the steering column, behind the dash and very hard to get to the port. The service tech had a hard time installing his scan gage. I ended up installing an extension cord so that I can monitor the systems using the forscan program.

There's no need for an extension cord. The port has about an extra foot of cable attached to it. More than enough to relocate it to a more convenient location.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry too much about it for the time being. The light comes on when there is a smog related issue and usually doesn't effect driving or safety at all. You may be producing more emissions but you can drive thousands of miles with the light on. I'm sure others will chime in to the contrary but thats my experience. The port is there as others have said and it probably has a cap over the opening and it has to be accessible for testing. Did you have a loose gas cap? If so it may take several cycles to clear although I'm not sure they have a sensor for that on the F53.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago when I couldn't locate my OBD port I sent my 9 year old grandson under the dash to find it. Little kids are great to have around.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look into a ScanGauge II will be able to read and clear codes, read trans temps and much more check into it.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Yellowboat_
Explorer
Explorer
As said on the right side of the steering column high up under the dash. The port is black and it comes with a black cover making it difficult to find.
2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on a 2016 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Buddy our Bichon Frise
JD & Kathy

sempka
Explorer
Explorer
In my F-53 chassis (2000 Holiday Rambler) it was located on the right side of the steering column, behind the dash and very hard to get to the port. The service tech had a hard time installing his scan gage. I ended up installing an extension cord so that I can monitor the systems using the forscan program.
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The OBD2 port on your F53 is probably still in the factory location on the right side of the steering column behind the dashboard. The Ford body builders manual recommends relocating it to a more convenient location, and a loop of extra cable is provided for that purpose. Unfortunately, most coach manufacturers ignore that step. Below is a photo of the location without the dash in the way. There is a plastic cap over the port that makes it difficult to spot.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 99 Winn with the F53 chassis, so it may not be helpful. My port is behind the dash to the right the of steering wheel.