Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Vehicle for Montana 3810MS

Bob_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

We just purchased a Montana 3810MS and I'm trying to make sure I've got enough truck to pull this thing. Anyone that can give me some advice, I appreciate it.

Tow Vehicle:
2018 Ram 2500
6.7L Diesel
Automatic
4x4
Long Bed
Crew Cab

Montana 3810MS
Dry Weight: 13385lbs
Carry Cap: 3365
Hitch Weight: 2745lbs

Dealership seems to think I'll be absolutely fine, but I'd like to get the thoughts from experienced folks. Again, any help is appreciated. Hopefully we haven't gotten ahead of ourselves.
Thanks,
Bob
48 REPLIES 48

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
AISIN is a true MD trans used in many MD applications. It is a superior trans to the 68. I have owned and towed VERY heavy with both. AISIN is superior plain and simple.

Nothing I have read makes it that superior other then the price, yes it gets a heavy load moving better in the the first two gears, and after that pretty much the same. I don't tow nearly as heavy as you do ,and the 68 does just fine

Nothing wrong with the 68 as I have mentioned. I had one for 65k towing over 1/2 it's miles at 28-29k combined with the wrong 3.42's. The AISIN allows for towing heavier and does a better job of it. There is a reason the AISIN trans allows for higher SAE towing numbers.

Just want to clear up the superior part. I can see the need with frequent HEAVY towing, but other then that , nothing superior. Yes the 68 gets it done quite nicely with the weight, and amount of towing I do.

For the average guy towing lighter loads, the Aisin, and even the air ride, money that could be spent in a lot better places.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
AISIN is a true MD trans used in many MD applications. It is a superior trans to the 68. I have owned and towed VERY heavy with both. AISIN is superior plain and simple.

Nothing I have read makes it that superior other then the price, yes it gets a heavy load moving better in the the first two gears, and after that pretty much the same. I don't tow nearly as heavy as you do ,and the 68 does just fine

Nothing wrong with the 68 as I have mentioned. I had one for 65k towing over 1/2 it's miles at 28-29k combined with the wrong 3.42's. The AISIN allows for towing heavier and does a better job of it. There is a reason the AISIN trans allows for higher SAE towing numbers.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
I thought all 3500's have the Aisin transmission... do they not?

Mike

Nope
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought all 3500's have the Aisin transmission... do they not?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wild Card wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bob Bo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Truck will "pull it just fine" but with a 20-25% pin that a 5er can easily have I HIGHLY suggest the 3500 LONG BED SRW with AISIN!!! Don't forget the towing package with the pucks and then since you will have the best truck for the job buy the best hitch a B&W. You WILL be more than happy with both.

If you really want the icing add the Factory Rear Air Ride.

The new truck as the 5th wheel prep package/puck's, and the rear air ride

EXCELLENT! BUT does it have the AISIN??? Well worth the $$$. You may want to continue shopping. Nothing wrong with the 68REF but when you are at that level why not get the best possible.

Thats your opinion not fact.

Towing fairly heavy with 3.42 gears(SRW) and the Aisin works much better than the 68RFE which has taller 1st and 2nd gears. The only place the 68RFE is better is the reverse ratio.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bob Bo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Truck will "pull it just fine" but with a 20-25% pin that a 5er can easily have I HIGHLY suggest the 3500 LONG BED SRW with AISIN!!! Don't forget the towing package with the pucks and then since you will have the best truck for the job buy the best hitch a B&W. You WILL be more than happy with both.

EXCELLENT! BUT does it have the AISIN??? Well worth the $$$. You may want to continue shopping. Nothing wrong with the 68REF but when you are at that level why not get the best possible.

Thats your opinion not fact.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob Bo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob Bo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Aisin transmission??

I tow a 16K 5th wheel with a truck with the same ratings. Your Montana has a higher dry pin weight. I suggest you use the lightest hitch you can find and keep the load in the trucks bed down to keep with in the trucks 7K RGAWR.

Hope you got the Aisin, did I already say that?

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bob_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Looks like you were a day late, but the fact of a 3500 is much better then what he had. Highly suggest a long bed, ya if you want a long bed, many don't.

I highly suggest skip the overpriced cost of factory air, not icing just money, if you have to have airbags, go aftermarket, and have some control of what those airbags are doing.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Bob_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
It cost me, but I upgraded to a 3500 SRW today. Thanks everyone for all the advice. This goes down as my first full time RV life lesson. I'll be passing along the same advice some of you passed d to me.

Cant wait to get this adventure started!