cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whistler Campground, Jasper. Closed 2019. Renos

gkenworth
Explorer
Explorer
We're camping at Canada's largest national park campground and have been informed that Parks Canada is closing Whistler (780 sites) for renovations for all of 2019. Plans are to upgrade service infrastructure (50 amp), A new welcome center, 17 new washroom / shower buildings (instead of 1 central shower building), wider roads thoughout, and purging the dead trees caused by the mountain pine beetle.
Jasper's other campgrounds can't handle many 30'+ RVs, and they don't have any other campground with water & sewer hook-ups.
IMHO
9 REPLIES 9

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
Jasper will unfortunately be a place to avoid next year, as Whistlers makes up a high percentage of all the spaces available.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy to hear of the upgrades, but it will make getting a spot in the West even tougher now, and it is already tough enough....:(
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
I’m excited. The roads on the back side are in rough shape and in need of a repaving. We were at tunnel mountain 2 after their upgrades and not much has changed in the design of the campground, but everything is new!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! That's a lot of sites out of commission for that area.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Im glad they are taking it down for some upgrades. Whistlers is an amazing place, and the roads and infrastructure need to be upgraded to meet the needs of modern rigs. Im sure some take offense to the "land yacht's" being used today but that's what's selling so Parks Canada is doing the right thing. I love riding around Wapiti campground but its simply too tight to get my 34' rig into except overflow. Im sure there will be a price increase, but im ok paying for the updating that it needs. My greatest fear is all the trees that will have to be cut down due to the pine beetle infestation. So much charm in the majestic trees...and about 1/3 are dead/dying.

See you all there in 2020

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
Not even camping anymore if you need to take your house with you

Mine's only 32 feet, and I'm travelling, not necessarily camping. I never feel the need to get home, because I have one of my homes with me.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
personally not a fan of the 'upgrades' I like the older smaller campgrounds but they seem to be catering to people that have these ridiculously large rigs. Not even camping anymore if you need to take your house with you $0.02

I prefer Wapati anyways but not a trend I like.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We were just at Whistler's a few weeks ago. As far as campsites go, the way it is now isn't bad. They're nice easy side o the road access sites. Hookups are well located and were in good order.

Upgrading to 50 amps would be a huge benefit though.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
It must be the year for it. The Fishing Bridge RV Park in Yellowstone will be closed all next year as well.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS