cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Possible???

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
How hard will it be to find a place to stay a week at a time in Georgia ,Alabama and Northern Florida in January and Febuary without reservations? Thanks Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
20 REPLIES 20

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your responses! Actually we are probably going out to see what Quartzsite, Arizona is all about!! Adventure is what its about!! Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
Actually looking at Ft. Pickens campgrounds for a week! That looks nice! No we wont do reservations. There surly is campgrounds like COE sites available in Alabama ,Georgia or another southern state. We have lived with making reservations for the biggest part of the 40 years we have camped, in retirement we just want to wing it! Lol

What ever floats your boat:)

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't make reservations you're going to be a Wallydocker....but only where that's allowed. Who wants to camp at Walmart?
-jbh-

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few no frills campgrounds on I75 in Georgia near Unadilla/Cordele around exit 120 or so that I have never seen full in the winter. But it does get cold here.

And as said before around Mayo FL,I think Ellie Rays is one. Jimmy from that underwater logging show stayed there. He was a cool guy.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
Not making any reservations may mean you spend more time trying to find somewhere to stay than enjoying your time. They are there but they may only have a few days when you want a week, etc. Good luck! it is doable but you are going to be calling around to see what is around in Florida...alabama, georgia maybe not so much.

X1, not making reservations because your want to be "free" is nonsensical:) You have everything to gain and nothing to lose by making reservations. Making reservations is not like getting married and then trying to get a divorce from a wife/significant other who "wants 1/2 of everything". 1 phone call and you have your freedom back, not real rocket science:):)

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Not making any reservations may mean you spend more time trying to find somewhere to stay than enjoying your time. They are there but they may only have a few days when you want a week, etc. Good luck! it is doable but you are going to be calling around to see what is around in Florida...alabama, georgia maybe not so much.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you 2Gypsies! I have taken a lot of your advise thru out the years on this forum and another. Always great and detailed advise, and wanted you to know how much my husband and I appreciate you always taking time to answer Questions and give suggestions!! Thanks so much!! You have never steered us wrong! Thanks, Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Actually looking at Ft. Pickens campgrounds for a week! That looks nice! No we wont do reservations. There surly is campgrounds like COE sites available in Alabama ,Georgia or another southern state. We have lived with making reservations for the biggest part of the 40 years we have camped, in retirement we just want to wing it! Lol
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Are you planning now...like to make reservations? OR do you want to wing it and just go and see what you end up with...would not recommend that unless you want to spend precious time shopping for places to stay.

Get on reserveamerica now and check out the state parks...you may be able to plan yourself a solid booking if you stay north enough in florida...the other states probably good enough but get going on it.
Donna

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the info,we appreciate it. Yes we don't do the rv parks. National, state, forest, and all other ones on that line. We love nature. Full hook ups we can do without. Electric is great but we have solar and generator. We wanted north cause my sister and her husband live in Lakewood Ranch, FL down near Sarasota and in winter it is a mess. Too many people. Not for us. LOL Its nice to know we can find a place to camp. Like I said Georgia, Alabama, anything south of indiana. Thanks again, Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The majority of the snow bird types are south of I-4. The panhandle should be fine except the popular state parks. Even at that, we went through there if Feb of 2016 and did reservations as little as 3 weeks in advance. Be flexible and forget southern Florida and it is possible.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
North Beach Camp Resort is never full during the month of January.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Caysea7254.... knowing how you like to camp from your other posts I don't foresee a problem. You're not one to go to the most popular, expensive parks... or have you changed? ๐Ÿ™‚ There are always parks to stay if you're not particular. Moving around is a good idea as a new full-timer! Best of luck to you in your new lifestyle!!

We've found it's best to pull in on Sunday afternoon or Monday morning to secure a site without reservations. That's how we traveled for 16 years of full-timing. This even worked for Yellowstone.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Try http://www.suwanneeriverrendezvous.com/ just outside Mayo, Fla. They had spaces available when we were there last January and February. We also enjoyed the ice storm.

Nearest reasonable supplies are in Live Oak.

Also try Kelly's in Callahan. http://kellyscountrysidervpark.com/

I think it'll be real tough south of around Ocala.
-jbh-